Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:22 PM   #21

Quote:
...........if I'm looking to do something special
'M' is the only thing I use on any of my cameras. Why? Because all my images are special.......... lol.

Actually the Cokin filters are pretty decent and not expensive on eBay. I have a few other brands of UV too but none of them including the Cokins cost more than $10-12.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:24 PM   #22

Agree with you James.. Always thought Cokin filters were quality products.

Glad the lens is in mint condition .. any chance to see a wee pic or 2 ?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:09 PM   #23

Hi James: Too bad there is some discoloration in the filter, but Kenko is a large Japanese company, they also own Tokina lens as well as SLIK tripods. It is not an off-brand.

But if it is discolored it could have been from some kind of accident or misuse by the former owner. But do purchase a UV filter to protect that great hulk of glass that you now own.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:30 PM   #24

Oh yes Steve, will definitely get a UV filter and Harj, if this weather here ever improves I will share my first pics with the E-3 and 14/54mm lens. Still cannot believe how fast that lens focuses.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:15 PM   #25

Just ordered a Hoya 67mm G series UV/Haze filter from Cameta Camera for $8.95 with free shipping. Cheap enough and that should be a good protective filter for my new lens.

Last edited by James Emory; Apr 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Oh yes Steve, will definitely get a UV filter.
James, in case you don't know, the two most controversial subjects in camera equipment are:
1. Should you use a protective filter on a lens; and
2. Do you really need to have a cover over the flash hot shoe after you lost the one that came with the camera.

Regarding the protective filter issue, there are some folks, including some professional photographers, who say they do see a slight degradation in the IQ of photos when a protective filter is on a good lens. Then there are folks who have experienced that a protective filter has saved an expensive lens in an accident. I am in the latter camp, but I just wanted you to know that it's controversial.

Regarding the second question, I think the consensus is that you don't need the hot shoe cover, but there are many of us who are anal and feel there's something missing when the hot shoe cover is gone.

Ted

PS: Steven has memorized all the companies who own the brand names of camera equipment?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Just ordered a Hoya 67mm G series UV/Haze filter from Cameta Camera for $8.95 with free shipping
..see, that is what I call a cheap filter.

Anything more than $10 is not IMO, ya did well James and the name helps when other 'togs' look to see, sometimes I get 'snicker' stares when the pros see my SunPak filter but when $-$$ filter can save a $$$-$$$$ lens. When they don't have a filter, then I assume they don't own the $$$$-$$$$$ lens they're using.

Ted, I don't use hotshoe covers even though I know where they all are. I take them off first thing so others aren't sure mine is a new camera, rather that it is a week-old camera that I lost the HS cover from.

Steven likely has a 'yen' for keeping up with the companies.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:28 PM   #28

I guess I have heard both sides quite often. Some folks say they cannot see any IQ difference with a UV filter on and some say they can. I'm betting I won't see a difference and I have seen many of Bob's photos taken with a UV filter on and they look damn good to me, so..........I would prefer lens protection over maybe a very slight degradation of IQ....if any I could see with my eyes.
As far as the hot shoe cover/cap issue, believe it or not, it was still on the E-3 when I received it. Whether it's necessary to have this.......well, the many film SLR's that I have owned never came with such a device and I never had a problem with the hot shoe getting damaged or whatever. If I lose the hot shoe cover I know I will not replace it....why should I. QUOTE=tkurkowski;1344549]James, in case you don't know, the two most controversial subjects in camera equipment are:
1. Should you use a protective filter on a lens; and
2. Do you really need to have a cover over the flash hot shoe after you lost the one that came with the camera.

Regarding the protective filter issue, there are some folks, including some professional photographers, who say they do see a slight degradation in the IQ of photos when a protective filter is on a good lens. Then there are folks who have experienced that a protective filter has saved an expensive lens in an accident. I am in the latter camp, but I just wanted you to know that it's controversial.

Regarding the second question, I think the consensus is that you don't need the hot shoe cover, but there are many of us who are anal and feel there's something missing when the hot shoe cover is gone.

Ted

PS: Steven has memorized all the companies who own the brand names of camera equipment?[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:43 PM   #29

I have B+W and Hoya for UV.
B+W is on the lenses I have with the E-500.
On all the lenses I bought since I have the E-3, I only bought Hoya UV filters, HMC UV-0.
This is since I did read this review.

They have also a review on polarizers.

Hope this info can help anyone.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:53 PM   #30

I didn't get the HMC version, I believe that model has more coats of anti reflective material but not sure. Mine is the G series which must mean good.