Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 1, 2013, 11:54 AM   #11

Default Great shots.

Great shots!

Florida will be happy to send cockroaches to GB if needed to continue the species.
Suwanavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 8:38 AM   #12

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the comments on the pics and gallery. Its now I think pretty much complete with 120 pics, so 10% final keeper rate - images that are actually sharp and in focus, and where I didn;t mess up the composition too much. They're now also in actual race order as well.

I've taken the HLD-4 out of the box and have tried it with the E3 - I don;t like it at all it just seems to make the whole setup with the 35-100F2 really unbalanced, uncomfortable and big in my hands at least. The added weight of the grip to the camera is something else as well, the camera feels a lot heavier and the ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. I've not gone out for a test with it yet as I'm having to rest my back as its been playing up but I'll be hoping to over the next week or so.

John, I did a wee search on the 1DX vs 5DMK3 and that statement by Chuck, esp as the 2 camera's share the same AF system but it does make sense. The other thing that got me was the amount of effort Canon put into upgrading the 1DX/5D's AF system over the 3 year period since the Mk2's release and then look at the effort that Oly put in for the E5's. Here's a summary of the Canon's new AF system - I think its only used in the 5D and 1DX so far (hoping that Oly puts even 50% of that kind of effort into the next EX).

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/c...e-5d-mark-iii/

Ted, I was surprised by the Cockroach charity runner and his out fit, and Suwani we'd rather not have any of the one from Florida

Last edited by HarjTT; May 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 3:43 PM   #13

Hi Harj: I like your final gallery, just went through it a few minutes ago. An excellent job, not only technically, but from a human interest viewpoint also. Well done.

I don't have the HLD-4, so I thought your comments were interesting. I can see how it would make the camera feel more unwieldy, especially with the large 35-100 lens that you use.

I have to admit, that sometimes I am a little confused with the focusing issues that you are having. I have not had the problems with my E-3 that you have experienced. I shoot jet airplanes and NASCAR race cars at well over 200 mph without focus problems, so I wonder if focus varies from camera to camera. And I can tell when using the 12-60mm that focus is blazing fast and accurate. (I seem to remember that at one time that combination was the fastest dslr focus on the market.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 6:57 PM   #14

I'm not sure whether I'm in the minority as a lot of people that have had the grip seem to like it and feel it makes the bigger lenses more stable with it but me personally, I think its ergonomics make the E3 uncomfortable hold esp in portrait mode as the bottom edge "cuts" into my palm. The older HDL-2 for the E1 is supposed to be much better in that respect and this pic shows why - the bottom of the HDL-2 grip is curved whereas the HDL-4 is flat with a wee indentation :

1. E1 + HDL-2 Grip

2. E3+ HDL-4

Those pics also show the that the E1 wasn't exactly small.

AF wise, some E3's esp the earlier batches suffered from AF issues and its possible that the later models got an updated AF module. Taking pics of planes in flight isn't a problem even for my E3 if it was basically panning for the shot. The problem I've had with the AF was when you were trying to track a target coming head on or slightly head on which until now I was never able to get to work. I think its less of a problem with the SWD lenses but don;t quote me on it!

Guys, If you want to try and test and see how you get on with a fast oncoming target, with your normal settings and then the settings I used I'd be interested to see how you get on.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Guys, If you want to try and test and see how you get on with a fast oncoming target, with your normal settings and then the settings I used I'd be interested to see how you get on.
The key for such a test is shallow DOF - not shooting at f8 or 35mm. If DOF is 8 feet deep you're really not going to see a lot. And, as Harj mentioned - subject moving towards you through focal planes - not a panning shot mostly across the same focal plane.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 2:54 PM   #16

Hi John

Finally able to get out and take another look at this today - kind of went backwards with the ol back. Went and did the test with the the E3 + 35-100F2 plus the battery grip but this time no 1.4x TC. Will be posting a new thread with a link to some low res pics and some thoughts on the whether the settings worked as before.
Old May 26, 2013, 2:58 PM   #17

I've enjoyed the ones you've done and looking forward to the others.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 5:03 PM   #18

Hey Ken

I'm just trying to weed out the OOF images, so that we can work out the keeper rate in terms of how many images are actually critically sharp. Its going to be interesting to see whether there's a difference, my only regret is not having the EC14 to give me the same reach and setup. Suffice to say .. who would have thought that the E3 actually has a CAF that can track fairly fast moving head on or away subjects when the cameras setup correctly!

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; May 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:02 PM   #19

"when the cameras setup correctly!"

Good words to live by...

I've been experimenting shooting water scenes with long, 60sec and more, exposures. Needs low light and lots of ND filters.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote