Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 27, 2013, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Shooting Herons and Ducks with the 35-100F2...

Something a bit different from me... birds !

All taken with the E3 + 35-100F2 (ISO200, F2-2.8), shot Raw PP'd in LR5 beta.

1. Heron - at St James Park

6. Some kind of duck

7.. One from the old country - A wee birdie in a field in Punjab India

8. And not to be left out a wee mutt - St James park... listening to some live jazz.

Last edited by HarjTT; May 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2013, 6:11 PM   #2

Excellent shots Harj. the details, colors, and focus are all spot-on. My favorites are #2 and #3. Well done.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 7:08 AM   #3

Well done from me too. The lighting in #2 was difficult - a very effective photo.

So now we have Harj joining Steven and Bob B imaging herons. Is that going to become a prerequisite for this group?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4

I wasn't going to take any bird pics at the Park but just when I was leaving, I saw a Heron swoop past and thought of Steve and Bob.. an opp too good to miss ! I don;t have the patience for shooting birds otherwise I should have waited for a flyby ...
Old May 28, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5

I agree, great shots, Steve, you have a competitor.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6

Well worth the stop Harj. they're all excellent shots but 2&3 do it for me with the comp and detail.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 3:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I agree, great shots, Steve, you have a competitor.
LOL. I couldn't complete with Harj and his 35-100mm lens. I can't afford the big bucks that those lens cost.

But Harj lives in a big metropolitan area with millions of folks, but probably not a lot of herons. So he has the lens, but not the birds. I am surrounded by lots of herons and other birds. so I have the birds but not the expensive lens. So it would probably just be a draw. LOL

I even have baby Great Blue Herons that wonder through my flower garden every spring. Here is one of this year's fledgling that kept wandering around my back yard.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:55 PM   #8

Hey Steve

Damn you guys are lucky.. we get to see Pigeons, the odd swan, some Canadian Geese and a few ducks in the parks and everything else has been basically shot or made extinct or you got to go to a zoo to see them in the old country !

Now regards that pic.. it looks sharper than the file from the F2 and the bokeh just as good....
Old May 28, 2013, 7:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Steve

Damn you guys are lucky.. we get to see Pigeons, the odd swan, some Canadian Geese and a few ducks in the parks and everything else has been basically shot or made extinct or you got to go to a zoo to see them in the old country !

Now regards that pic.. it looks sharper than the file from the F2 and the bokeh just as good....
Hi Harj: That shot was taken with the 50-200mm that I acquired from the original owner quite a while ago, and I still love using it. That, and the 12-60 lens, account for 98% of my shots. But don't get me wrong, I would love to have some of those expensive SHG Zuiko lens!!