Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 31, 2013, 10:08 PM   #11

I got the idea looking at the English magazine "Photography."
Trevor cotton had a spread in it that I liked.

A lot of his shots are 2-3 minutes. Trying the technique and finding subject matter is half the fun. Some more here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trev...2F%3B500%3B500

Last edited by Scouse; May 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:17 PM   #12

There are several more (artists) togs with really excellent long exposures here.
http://pelfind.com/photo/47964p11339...-trevor-cotton
Old May 31, 2013, 10:29 PM   #13

Ah - so you're going after high key landscape photography. That's a great goal - I've always been interested in that.

So the issue is that it needs a lot of light, especially to stop water flow, but there isn't enough in the Pacific Northwest where you live? Or do I not understand this.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:05 PM   #14

Oooooh, those are neat, Ken. You are on a creative streak.

I have to tell you that when I saw #1, that I had a little deja vue moment. I recognized that sepia look instantly, as I used to have the Cokin filters for my 35mm OM-2; and took quite a few shots using that same sepia filter.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:42 AM   #15

Yes, Ted and Steven...lets call it a creative streak.. Actually it is fun and perked up my interest. A little different from poking out onto the deck to snap the deer and boids.

Actually Ted, you don't 'want' light, you 'create' light from the dark. You need misty overcast mornings or clouds at sunset. Then you make it darker with the filters. Long exposures and small apertures bring it back. A little different from the norm.

Couldn't resist, could you The Northwest in the summer, say between July 5th until the end of Sept has the best light of all I'd say. When the southwest is burnt out and the south east is dodging hurricanes and twisters. I go sailing..

I say July 5th to start summer because that traditionally is when the Pacific high sets in, the day after the fireworks disappear into the rain clouds.

It was fun digging through my old OM stuff for the Cokin stuff. I've ordered a -9 ND and a ND graduated filter plus a 58mm adapter for my lenses. That way I won't have to go to B&W.

And of course the weather is going to be great all week, no pics today got to mow the 2 1/2 acres.

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post

............... When the southwest is burnt out and the south east is dodging hurricanes and twisters. I go sailing..

I say July 5th to start summer because that traditionally is when the Pacific high sets in, the day after the fireworks disappear into the rain clouds.
Ummmmmmmm, uh, Ken: actually, down here they go sailing year round. The sailing season here is Jan 01 thru Dec 31.

A couple of shots that I took late yesterday afternoon:

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:50 PM   #17

Excellent...!!!!
Looks like they have a nice breeze going and had to take down their mains.
Although on the second shot it looks like it might have fallen down.

Dunno why but Florida doesn't seem to be calling me. I would like to drive all the way south through the keys to the end, that sounds fun.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:32 AM   #18

Ken those are pretty cool .. It'd be fab to see how you get on with shooting something like that !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:06 AM   #19

Very nice photos, Steven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Excellent...!!!!
Looks like they have a nice breeze going and had to take down their mains.
Although on the second shot it looks like it might have fallen down.
LOL! I was thinking that if there are whitecaps (and thus the strong possibility of wind gusts) and I decide to drop the mains'l I'd probably tie it down unless I was craving some sudden excitement...

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Ken those are pretty cool .. It'd be fab to see how you get on with shooting something like that !
Thanks Harj. Terry (my shooting buddy) and I already have plans and have picked a couple of likely places out. Just need the weather to co-operate.

The sailing looks a "little" different here. The Puget Sound is like a big lake but with tides and it's only one of a couple of places in the world that gets 2 tides a day. Has to be a good blow to get high waves. Then you can have simply day sails, overnight or our for the summer. With destinations..! I can sail a couple of hours here, pull in to a dock and find the local sailors waterhole. (They don't sell a lot of water though.) Or go camping among the islands.