Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:20 PM   #11

Hey Ken: As a highly paid real estate executive, it seems like that you could afford to spend a few bucks on a nice used E-3 or E-30. You would love either one, both available at reasonable prices, and you would not even have to buy new lens. ( And you could still keep your beloved E-500 when you get the other camera.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:27 PM   #12

Steven, that's what I did. I had an e-500 and picked up an e-30 on eBay. Also picked up a new OM to 4/3 converter so now I can use my old legacy lenses.

Highly suggested!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:30 PM   #13

Hey Sean: you should go over and see Scouse and show him your E-30. If he played with it he would probably buy one.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:37 PM   #14

Yeah, I could use a trip to Camano Is.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcgriff View Post
Yeah, I could use a trip to Camano Is.
Yes, I think Ken has a large castle over there.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:16 PM   #16

Geeeeez, you guys...

I'd like nothing better, just got to get this real estate going, it's slow this year.
What did you pay for your E30 Sean, if you don't mind me asking.

Steven, time for you to keep your powder, and every thing else dry. I think the sailing has been suspended for a while. Be safe.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:40 PM   #17

Hi Ken: Yes, looks like will be getting a little wet for the next day and a half. But we are in good shape, this is only a rain event, not a hurricane, and they started forecasting this storm almost a week ago, so no surprises.

I have no problem with tropical storms in that we get lots of advance warning; we are lucky. Not like those folks who live in the Midwest Tornado Alley. They only just a few minutes warning and the storms are much more vicious. To me, that would be much more frightening. I guess it's just what one gets use to.

Re: the E-30, I don't know what Sean paid, but I notice that KEH has one now for $479 in E+ condition. In KEH terms that is practically like new.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Olympus-Di...91068750?r=FE#
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi Ken: Yes, looks like will be getting a little wet for the next day and a half. But we are in good shape, this is only a rain event, not a hurricane, and they started forecasting this storm almost a week ago, so no surprises.

I have no problem with tropical storms in that we get lots of advance warning; we are lucky. Not like those folks who live in the Midwest Tornado Alley. They only just a few minutes warning and the storms are much more vicious. To me, that would be much more frightening. I guess it's just what one gets use to.

Re: the E-30, I don't know what Sean paid, but I notice that KEH has one now for $479 in E+ condition. In KEH terms that is practically like new.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Olympus-Di...91068750?r=FE#
Happy that you're safe, I understand rain..! I got envious when Terry picked up his D600, nice camera with features far in advance of Oly stuff...Sharon almost convinced me to put it on a card and get it. I didn't feel good about that though and secretly I've been wanting the E30 for a while and I'd be happy with that, for 1/4 the clams. That and the 50-200 that is.
Yes it's older technology and no, I don't know why oly users stay after the way they treat their client base. I'm never going to be a pro tog, I just want to produce photos the way I see them in my mind before I press the shutter release.

Perhaps later this year.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:58 AM   #19

Hi Ken: We are getting a lot of rain now, but it is no real problem so far. So we are good.

A lot of people wish that Oly did a better job f keeping their customer base better informed. But I am old enough to remember a lot of history, and Oly has always played their hands close to the vest.

Their forte is in innovation, and over the years they have been the innovators of lots of things like live-view as just one example. (Which the other big makers all sneered at, but eventually they also adopted.) Their other strong point is definitely glass, as their lens are second to none, dollar to dollar. An Oly has never strived to be a big camera maker like CaNikon. They have always reminded me of a specialized car company like Ferrari or Bentley, competing against much bigger GM and Ford.

Anyway, the E-30 is a terrific camera from all accounts, you can even fine tune the focus of each individual lens to the camera. And it has a built-in leveling lines you can turn on in the viewfinder to help you keep the horizon level. The main thing you give up compared to an E-3 would be the weatherproofed body.

Didn't mean to ramble on. Guess you can tell that I'm stuck indoors since I'm not going out in that rain. LOL
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:11 PM   #20

I don't think you can focus individual lenses with the E-3. At least I didn't see anything like that in my manual or menu.

Steve, I go back a long damn way, longer than I care to talk about, but the Oly RC35 was my first 35mm camera and it took very nice pics.

I didn't know Ken was a big real estate guy with lots of money. :-) Ken do you have a 50-200 laying around that you don't need?

Last edited by James Emory; Jun 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote