Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I don't think you can focus individual lenses with the E-3. At least I didn't see anything like that in my manual or menu.

I didn't know Ken was a big real estate guy with lots of money. :-) Ken do you have a 50-200 laying around that you don't need?
You are correct - the E-3 was the last DSLR Oly made, that did not have the AF Adjust capability. The E-30 was the first that did have that capability. The E-5 was the second, and allowed me to finally use the Leica Summilux 25mm f/1.4 on an Oly body.

And yes, Ken is a real estate baron using old wealth from England. The reason you can detect this is because every time someone claims an American was the first to do something, he dredges up some unlikely story that a Brit did it first. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. )

And while we're discussing our forum friends here, I really wish Steven would keep those tropical storms down in his neighborhood. Andrea is already wrecking what had been a nice string of sunny days with moderate temps and humidity up here in the DC area. Steven sending Andrea up here is a really mean act.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:39 PM   #22

Ken, I paid about $450 for the e-30. I really like it, but it's even more complicated than the e-500! I also picked up the battery grip and that 70-300 lens. What I don't have is the time I would like to spend using my new set up!

One other diff e-3 vs e-30 is 10m vs 12m. I opped for the pixels over the weatherproofing.

I have not figured out the individual lense focus option. Maybe this weekend I'll tackle that?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Their forte is in innovation, and over the years they have been the innovators of lots of things like live-view as just one example. (Which the other big makers all sneered at, but eventually they also adopted.) Their other strong point is definitely glass, as their lens are second to none, dollar to dollar. An Oly has never strived to be a big camera maker like CaNikon. They have always reminded me of a specialized car company like Ferrari or Bentley, competing against much bigger GM and Ford.
I have always used the comparison of Oly to Apple. They're more the innovators while the others copy. Also the proprietary peripherals vs open source.

"That's my opinion, I'm Bryan Johnson."
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
And yes, Ken is a real estate baron using old wealth from England. The reason you can detect this is because every time someone claims an American was the first to do something, he dredges up some unlikely story that a Brit did it first. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. )

But but butt... its true .. Twas a Brit that did it .. !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
But but butt... its true .. Twas a Brit that did it .. !
Yeh, I shouldn't have told him that the Wrights came second, It took him 3 days to recover and post again.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Yeh, I shouldn't have told him that the Wrights came second, It took him 3 days to recover and post again.
I was simply waiting for you to claim that the Brits were first to land on the moon. You're right - I shouldn't have waited so long.

PS: The Brazilians claim the first powered airplane flight was done by Alberto Santos-Dumont. So we have a three-way contest here.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:32 AM   #27

LOL. Sounds like some bruised British egos here. Also, add in the ancients Egyptians whom some claim were flying around the pyramids. LOL
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:52 PM   #28

A bit late but very nice pictures you made!
More then excellent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
LOL. Sounds like some bruised British egos here. Also, add in the ancients Egyptians whom some claim were flying around the pyramids. LOL
I'd say more than bruised british egos it's more like the old American inferiority complex showing through...

Thanks Lordje, always appreciate your comments.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
I'd say more than bruised british egos it's more like the old American inferiority complex showing through...
Wow, Ken. Most of the world considers Americans to be arrogant. You might want to reconsider your "inferiority complex" theory. Possibly you're out of touch...