Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:17 PM   #1

Default Bupa London 10k run - a few pics

This week saw the 2013 Bupa 10k race in London and the 2nd time I was able to attend. 18k runners running for charity or their running clubs including Team GB's and Olymmpic 10k/5k runner Mo Farah. I got there a little late this year, so wasn;t able to mingle with the runners and take some candid shots.

E3 + 35-100f2 + BG,
ISO100-400, F2 to 2.8 @ 1/1600-1/2000s
RAW + Jpeg
SAF/CAF - diamond pattern.

1. Candids

2. The Race and their off

3. Race winners... theyre all winners in my book. First across the line in 27mins was Mo Farrah. Last year, the E3 +35-100f2 simply couldn't do this.. the pics of him then are all OOF but luckily this year my positioning was better and I know the cam a little better.

Using the BG definitely improved the number of critically sharp images and thoughts on the setup and how good CAF works or not are in a separate post on the forum. Still need to work on technique and composition and shoot more! The rest of the gallery (its still a work in progress) is here:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photograph...9744831_xWFVqc

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:35 PM   #2

All good shots Harj. A lot of people out for a good cause and having fun with it.
That lady #7 is definitely in the zone..!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3

It's a great road race event, esp as you have runners that are just attempting their first long distance run or wouldn't look at doing a marathon taking part. Its harder to shoot though.. they've still get a fair bit of energy at the end so just wizz past.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Nice shots Harj. Maybe you should partake in those runs and get that body loosened up. Looks like there were guys running that are older than you.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:55 PM   #5

Your candid shots are always top notch with that Harj touch. Your street shooting instincts are always operating at a high level. Well done.

(I thought that I had already commented on this thread, but apparently not. Please no comments about age-related memory loss. LOL)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
(I thought that I had already commented on this thread, but apparently not. Please no comments about age-related memory loss. LOL)
Harj, apparently Steven infected me with that problem - I also though I had commented on this thread. I really enjoy your street shooting. The third candid is terrific - if I saw them I'd walk up and start a conversation - they look like great, down to earth folks.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:34 PM   #7

Hi Guys,

James .. some of those older guys are way faster than me! My back was hurting just watching the runners wizz past .. I'd like to do a fun run like this but atm just not physically ok to do it .. well thats my excuse

Ted, I only had a very very brief "hi and good luck on the race" chat... most if not all of the couples that are running in that race are like that .. they all look like a really fab bunch of people .. not often you can say that in these eerrr parts !

I didn't have enough time to shoot candids like I did last year or take some more portrait shots as I got there late.. the back injuries slowed me right down. Last year I as at Green Park at 6am... last week was 8:30am... way too late!

What do you guys think of the colour output from the LR5 files ? They look ok and fairly close to the small low res jpegs but I'd like a second opinion.

Last edited by HarjTT; Jun 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

What do you guys think of the colour output from the LR5 files ? They look ok and fairly close to the small low res jpegs but I'd like a second opinion.
The colour looks good "to me", bright and clean. Nothing that looks unnatural.

All I have in the computer is LR2, I haven't used it in a while it was just too cumbersome for the results. I think I need a PP program that's more main stream now days.

How is LR5 for you? Is it intuitive and does the system flow when you're using it.

Work flow isn't an issue for me and that's their big talking point. I'll go out and maybe shoot about 50-70 pics depending on the day or occasion. So I don't mind working on individual Pics...after I've dumped the 40-50 crappy ones..

What are the biggest pro's and cons?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:46 PM   #9

Stunning pictures you made Hartjjj!!
Nice to hear the cad is working fine with the battery grip. I will check to find a BG cheap somewhere :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote