Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:41 AM   #1

Default Olympus rumoured to make 400mm F4 for Sony

It looks as if Oly is going to make a 400mm F4.0 for the Sony Alpha mount, so thats going to have made a few ex FT and current FT users that have wanted something similar pretty miffed. I'm wondering if they'll label it as a Zukio Digital ?

Will we ever get to see a 400mm F4 for FT ..? I personally doubt we'll see any new lenses for the mount, but if we get an E7 then perhaps we might even get a new lens for it as well.

Here's the rumour:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-t...-with-olympus/

More rumours on a DSLR..

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-mana...sed-in-future/

I wish they would just come out and say it straight that FT DSLRs will continue rather than this never ending run of may be or possibly but we will or may be possibly or then again definitely.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:48 AM   #2

Yes, I know what you mean. Terry just gave up and picked up the Nikon D600. Impressive hunk of camera for the price. It's awfully temping given the way Oly treats their customers.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Hi Harj: According to some other sites, Olympus is helping Sony on the design their new 400mmf4 A-mount lens, and new OMD camera(s) will feature a brand new Sony sensor with phase detection pixels on the sensor.Also, in two separate interviews within the past month Oly executives stated that they will continue to make DSLRs.

"........... Matti Sulanto had an opportunity to talk with Mr. Kataoka, who is the General Manager of Olympus Product Development R&D Division. The video can be seen on top of this post. These are the core info: - Four Thirds User are very valuable to Olympus and they will continue to develop bodies that can be used with Four Thirds lenses.
- Olympus developed MFT lenses for general users. We are focusing on the tele lenses.
- Collaboration between Olympus and Sony is mainly on the medical business..."

And in an interview with The Oly manager, the following was reported:

"....Olympus manager Hiroyuki Sasa has been interviewed at Toyokeizai (Google translation here). And there are quite some interesting infos! I ask my Japanese readers to correct me if there are some errors. The Google English translation tool doensít really make a very good job. Anyway, here are the hottest news:
1) Olympus will reduce investment in the compact digital camera business and focus on niche products with clear identity (example Tough series).
2) Mirrorless is doing well in Asia (Japan, Singapore and Thailand for example). Still not so good in Europe and USA.
3) We will supply our tech to Sony (example lens design knowledge)
4) We will use more Sony sensors in future.
5) We plan to launch new DSLR cameras in future.
6) We do not plan to quite the digital camera business even if it it not profitable yet. Because it drives the technology development that is helpful for our medical business too!..."

Perhaps most intriguing to me is the recent rumors that there will be a coming body that is larger than the OMD but will use both 4/3 and m4/3 lens without an adapter. I hope that rumor is true. That sounds like a pretty cool idea to me.

"...The new GX camera rumors really has stolen the show from Olympus. But trust me, thatís going to be a strong and intriguing rumor battle! In these last few days I got two rumors from sources I know from a long time. Both told me that they got hints about a new high end Olympus camera that will be announced in September. And itís going to be a camera much larger than the current E-M5 that has a mount that allows to take both Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses without the use of any adapter!... "
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4

400/4 is to me the perfect all around wildlife lens and on a 4/3 could be quite something. That said, it was all I could do to afford an old Tamron Adaptall one (awesome lens BTW, very sharp but haven't tried it yet with the E1 or 500) so anything Oly makes for any mount will be well out of my price range.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:13 AM   #5

It does seem that the alliance with Sony is helping Olympus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
[/I]Perhaps most intriguing to me is the recent rumors that there will be a coming body that is larger than the OMD but will use both 4/3 and m4/3 lens without an adapter. I hope that rumor is true. That sounds like a pretty cool idea to me.

"...The new GX camera rumors really has stolen the show from Olympus. But trust me, that’s going to be a strong and intriguing rumor battle! In these last few days I got two rumors from sources I know from a long time. Both told me that they got hints about a new high end Olympus camera that will be announced in September. And it’s going to be a camera much larger than the current E-M5 that has a mount that allows to take both Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses without the use of any adapter!... "
This baffles me. The two have different rear focus distances. Anyway I sure hope this isn't the E7 - I'm just not very interested in a mirrorless camera.

Ted

PS: For the 4/3 sensor wouldn't a 300mm f/4 be more practical?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:43 AM   #6

A 300/4 would be more practical for sure, basically the same reach as a 400/4 on an APS-C camera. But a top quality 400/4 with a 4/3 body that has the ability to get everything out of it would be a tremendous combination. 800mm reach in a package that could be hand held if need be.

John
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:59 PM   #7

Ted,

I kind of agree with John on this .. a 300F4 HG lens would be ideal for a lot of wildlife/birders/sports shooters that can't or won't throw don 5k+ on the 300F2.8. However, I think a 400F4 on FT would be really tempting to a lot of those same shooters and add the EC14 your looking at equiv 1000m! I'd assume it would be tack sharp af F4, so could be really tempting for some shooters. I'd hate to see what the price tag on one f those would be..
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Ted,

I kind of agree with John on this .. a 300F4 HG lens would be ideal for a lot of wildlife/birders/sports shooters that can't or won't throw don 5k+ on the 300F2.8. However, I think a 400F4 on FT would be really tempting to a lot of those same shooters and add the EC14 your looking at equiv 1000m! I'd assume it would be tack sharp af F4, so could be really tempting for some shooters. I'd hate to see what the price tag on one f those would be..
I'd guess around what the 300/2.8 goes for. Can't see it as any cheaper. But what a lens it could be. Like you point out, add the the EC14 and you have a 560/5.6. That would rival all but the 800mm end of the Canikon line up. But at this point are there enough 4/3s users left to justify making any new lenses?

John
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
I'd guess around what the 300/2.8 goes for. Can't see it as any cheaper.
Huh? The cost of casting optically acceptable glass, and grinding it into an optically acceptable lens element, goes up dramatically with the volume of the glass, thus more or less proportionally to its area (radius squared). An f/4 front lens element has half the area of an f/2.8 front lens element, and more or less proportionally likewise for the rest of the lens elements. Everything about that lens glass production is less expensive. The physical container holding the glass probably wouldn't be dramatically less expensive but the glass is the 800 pound gorilla in the cost equation:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens: $5,800 (weight = 6.4 lb./2.9kg.)
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Lens: $1,370 (weight = 3.2 lb./1.44 kg.)

Even deducting some cost for the IS in the f/2.8 that's a pretty substantial difference.

Ted

EDIT: Oooops - I just realized you were talking about the price of a 400mm f/4 not a 300. I think you're right - the Canon 400mm f/4 and 300mm f/2.8 are the same price.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:07 PM   #10

Hey Ted..

Interesting point and I bet if they made a 300 F4 they would have sold a tonne of them esp at that price point.