Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:42 PM   #1

Default English log boom

This park at the top of the island "English Log Boom Park" is where they used to moor the downed trees while waiting for shipping down to San Francisco at the turn of last century.

I wanted to try out some long exposures again. Could only get them down to 20 to 30 secs at f22. I'm getting used to the filter system and the set up now. I still need a more overcast day and choppier water but I'm getting closer to what I want.
I have a really dark filter coming, I'll stack that with the others next time.

Choppier water would give a steamy look to it.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:29 AM   #2

Hey Ken

Glad I got the first reply in.. very nice esp the 1st and the last two !!! The top of the landscape on the others are a wee distracting but I think this is a fab attempt !

Whats the slowest shutter speed on the E500 ?

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3

Very creative Scouse. I'm not a big B&W fan but it suits the scene and composition very well.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:30 AM   #4

Thanks Harj, appreciate you commenting. I agree on the landscape in the pics. It's a pretty flat beach so I had to set the tripod as high as I could, to try and keep the view in the water. The E500 will go to 60 secs then it goes to bulb, there's nowhere on the camera for cable or electric release, great thinking there! But with the camera set tight on the tripod and a stop watch, I can work it. When I try the darker filter I want to be in the 2-3 minute range. Means travelling a bit for subject matter and finding the right conditions. We're finding it fun though.

One big concern is the speckles on the pics. In colour they're bright red, blue, and green. I thought it was noise but apparently it's... Well better I add this to explain it.
Anyone have Ideas on the problem. I don't really understand his 'fix'

Even at low ISO, super long exposures can introduce noise in the form of hot pixels. You may not be able to see these when viewing the results on the LCD screen of your camera, but when viewed at 100 % on your computer monitor, you may find a number of bright red/green/blue pixels in your image.
An effective way to remove them is to take an exposure of identical length, at the same ISO, with the lens cap on. The hot pixels will be identical in all shots, almost like a finger print of your sensor, so by replicating the exposure with the lens cap on, you will generate an entirely black image, with the same hot pixels, to subtract away from your chosen image during post-processing.

This is the stuff that got me interested.
http://www.thedphoto.com/inspiration...trevor-cotton/
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Very creative Scouse. I'm not a big B&W fan but it suits the scene and composition very well.
Thanks Steven. I had to go to B&W because of the filters had the sepia in with them. That'll change when I go to all ND.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:38 PM   #6

Hi Ken

Know exactly what you mean about the hot pixels, although I've not hit that problem myself. The E3 and i think all later cams had a "dark frame subtraction" and here's wrotnails take on it:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-dark.html

Although the DFS isn't as good as it could be due to the noise of the sensor in E3. I wonder if the E5's is any better and I'm assuming the new Sony Em5 sensor should be way improved in that regard. Here's the review of the E3 over at LL :

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...3-Second.shtml
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:41 PM   #7

Nice results you did get Ken.
Very good experiment. For myself I never used long shutter times so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:46 PM   #8

Ken

In Lr .. you have the clone and the healing tool so you could retouch those out.

The main thing in comparing LR2 and Lr4 or 5 :

* improved speed across all modules
* improved important images - it used to ages for importing new pics, even with LR3 . With Lr5 it seems to fly through pulling in 1200 RAW files in just a few mins.
* They improved the colour profile - it may not be as good as Oly's own in terms of getting that Oly colour but its a definite improvement.
* Workflow - even for 50-60 files its still seriously useful
* enhanced tools - there's a whole bunch of new tools that used to be reserved for Photoshop but are now part of LR 4 /5
* price drop - the price for Lr dropped form a couple of 100 down to 70

Ther'es bound to be more but those are the ones that I can come up with and off the top of my head.

Last edited by HarjTT; Jun 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Ken

In Lr .. you have the clone and the healing tool so you could retouch those out.

The main thing in comparing LR2 and Lr4 or 5 :

* improved speed across all modules
* improved important images - it used to ages for importing new pics, even with LR3 . With Lr5 it seems to fly through pulling in 1200 RAW files in just a few mins.
* They improved the colour profile - it may not be as good as Oly's own in terms of getting that Oly colour but its a definite improvement.
* Workflow - even for 50-60 files its still seriously useful
* enhanced tools - there's a whole bunch of new tools that used to be reserved for Photoshop but are now part of LR 4 /5
* price drop - the price for Lr dropped form a couple of 100 down to 70

Ther'es bound to be more but those are the ones that I can come up with and off the top of my head.
Excellent..! Thanks for all that, looks like I will be going to LR5.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Nice results you did get Ken.
Very good experiment. For myself I never used long shutter times so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Thanks Lordje, Guess I can only take some many deer, bird and island landscape pics. Had to try something different.