Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2013, 2:44 PM   #1

Default ....locked on the 50-200 to the E-3 and

Went off to the local airport yesterday to photograph the YoungbEagles Flight Rally sponsored by the Arlington EAA chapter 34.

It has been more than 2-yr since I was there so quite rusty in technique but did manage a few images. I carried the E-3 / 50-200 and E-P3 with the FT 9-18 via MMF-2 converter.

All in all it was a pretty good day except for the in-air shots which were far far away and my technical (brain) had been erased so some BIG crops were in order to salvage some of those.

Anyway it was fun to do and the local group appreciates the files so GOOD day.

Should you want to see more of the files look here ==> http://tinyurl.com/k5mzr8s

E-3 / 50-200

E-3 / 50-200

E-3 / 50-200

E-P3 / FT 9-18

.....a bit fast with the shutter -- E-3 / 50-200

E-P3 / FT 9-18

E-3 / 50-200

E-3 / 50-200 .... this is one FAST little plane and the colonel is good with it too. I was not ready when he did the takeoff then later a low-level pass when he left town.... FAST! I would not have kept up anyway.

E-3 / 50-200

E-3 / 50-200

E-P3 / FT 9-18

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2013, 3:30 PM   #2

Hey Bob

Love the pics.. and man u can get that close. The kids look like theyre having a blast .. damn its not fair!

The osprey looks such a fine machine.. and that pilot looks like a pretty cool dude and his plane does too !

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:37 PM   #3

....thanks Harj, glad you liked'em. We did have quite a fun day, the kids always have a great time at this event.

The aero pilot, well he was the only one wearing a parachute yesterday.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:30 PM   #4

Excellent candid aircraft shots Bob. Nice compositions and good balance between people and machines in your shooting.

As an aircraft enthusiast, I have to ask what was that red and white tilt rotor aircraft?? Definitely not an Osprey, but I an totally unfamiliar with whatever kind of aircraft it is.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:59 PM   #5

....hi Steven and thanks for the remarks, carrying the two cameras gave me the best of each opportunity and in the end it did give a fair mix.

The AW609 tilt rotor 'civil' helicopter is by Agusta Westland which once was in partnership with Bell Helicopter to produce such and it would be designated as BA609.

At some time AW bought Bell's interest and the designator became AW609, I suppose in the early beginning it might have been BH609.... I have no idea what the 609 means.

The 609 is built on Bell technology (at the time) for tilt rotor aircraft in which the entire engine assembly rotates (same as the Osprey).

Here is a link to AW and a video of the AW609 ==> http://tinyurl.com/kufvwlb

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I looked at the video, it does indeed look like a slimmed down smaller version of an Osprey. The Bell heritage definitely shows.

For comparison, here is a couple of my Osprey shots:

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:44 PM   #7

great series of images & a great reason for being at the show.

The 50-200mm will always be my favorite Olympus lens. A wonderful performer. You used it very skillfully, I might add.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:22 PM   #8

Great stuff Bob, Love those shots., there's something about air shows isn't there.

What is it that makes old airframe mechanics pick up cameras....!!!?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:35 PM   #9

Thanks very much Zig, it was a fun day. I need to get out there more often, it is just 8 miles from the house, maybe this will trigger an effort. Airplanes are a bit different to photographing butterflies.

Steven, remembering when the Osprey was being built and tested it was quite a sight at the time. We lived at the place before this one and the Bell plant just a couple miles south of our other house, we would (once in a while) see it and I knew some fellows who worked on it during the development.

Now a new 'hover' machine flips only the rotors, the engines stay static and top speed is reported at 300MPH. I saw something recently about it but can't recall the detail.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:50 AM   #10

Hi, Bob

I'm crunching on a project at work so I'm behind on responding to threads here. I love aircraft photos and really enjoyed these. I have to say, though, that the AW609 really doesn't look like it should be able to fly.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote