Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
You obviously meant "profound"
By golly I did. I have no idea who typed "funny" in there.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
By golly I did. I have no idea who typed "funny" in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
LOL I thought it was kinda clever and plan on using that line myself it the need ever arrives.
It only took 40 years before I got to use it in a clever way.
The guy just looked at me and explained why parallel lines couldn't ever meet...zoom!
Wasted..

As a bit of photography news. That's clearly not meant for this DSLR thread though!
I cleaned up my old OM2 and just the Zuiko lenses I have for it, then picked up a roll of B&W. Just for grins. We'll see!?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:32 PM   #23

Ken: if you had a new E-series with a larger viewfinder, you would find that the OM lens can be manually focused pretty easily. The main reason that I have not yet bought a digital Zuiko macro lens is that my old 50mm macro from my OM2 works very well on my digital cameras. I used live view when I focused it on the older E series, but the viewfinder on the E-3 is big enough to manual focus the old lens easily.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Ken: if you had a new E-series with a larger viewfinder, you would find that the OM lens can be manually focused pretty easily. The main reason that I have not yet bought a digital Zuiko macro lens is that my old 50mm macro from my OM2 works very well on my digital cameras. I used live view when I focused it on the older E series, but the viewfinder on the E-3 is big enough to manual focus the old lens easily.
You're working me aren't you. Don't worry, I'm convinced just got to convince the bank.

I was looking this morning and admiring of how the OM2 viewfinder was so clear and easy to see with, especially with the split screen.

My OM 50mm is a 1.4 and a nice lens to play with on the E. and the 70-300 is a better macro than any of my others.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:01 PM   #25

Quote:
You're working me aren't you.

Gee, I don't know how someone in real estate would recognize that process.

This brings up a point I've thought about for a while. (A fair warning - run for cover while you can.) The big point why most folks have allegiance to Oly had to do with their making good cameras smaller. That's fine if you have small hands. But those of us with large hands who have allegiance to Oly, have it because of their innovation. The C2500L and E10/20 DSLR were historic - very much ahead of their time. The 35-140mm (eq) f/2.0 - 2.4 internal focus and internal zoom lens on the E10/20 may well be one of the best lenses on a DSLR of all time.

Ken, I bought the E-500 when it first came out and still have it because of that great Kodak sensor. But it's too small to be really comfortable for me - my fingers often press buttons I didn't intend to press. My point is that unless you really like small DSLRs you'll be happier with a lager one, like the E-30 or E-X where everything feels natural to your hand.

Ted

PS: More historical perspective: my first digital camera was a Logitech FotoMan, which in 1990 cost $995. It was a 0.09MP camera.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:33 AM   #26

WOW! Now that is history. One thousand bucks in 1990.

I have big hands and have held a hammer in one or the other hand most of my life. (Real estate is something I took up when I got tired of building.) I can reach down and pick up a soccer ball or basket ball.
But they're so very sensuous and delicate (So the girls say) I don't have any trouble with the 500...

Y'ever been in a tight spot trying to get 'that' shot, you're getting cramps standing in a bad spot and just about out of breath when you press the shutter...knowing that you got and feeling good. Look down at your view screen and see those two blue bands and a message about your white balance...and no shot.

I still do not know how I do that and it's more often than I like.

Yes, not just getting worked but double teamed....
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:30 AM   #27

Quote:
I have big hands and have held a hammer in one or the other hand most of my life. (Real estate is something I took up when I got tired of building.) I can reach down and pick up a soccer ball or basket ball.
But they're so very sensuous and delicate (So the girls say) I don't have any trouble with the 500...

Yes, not just getting worked but double teamed....
ROTFLOL!

Quote:
WOW! Now that is history. One thousand bucks in 1990.
Well that was more affordable than the first DSLR, also introduced in 1990. The Kodak DCS-100 SLR was a Nikon F3 with a 1.3MP Kodak sensor replacing the film track.

Oh, and it sold for $30,000 - half the price of a 911 at that time. (Just in case anyone tells you that the price of things always goes up.) At that time most pro photographers said that they do not ever expect to use a digital camera.

Here's a history question: did Panasonic ever make a camera before their 4/3 models?

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 22, 2013 at 6:41 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:08 AM   #28

Nice results you did get Ken!

I was first thinking you had started a polymer clay course but say then it was the real moon

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote