Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Default The Moon...in June

I've been cleaning "part" of the basement out, quite a few runs to the dump I can tell you.
Found my old neglected Celestron C5 under one pile, Has to be 40 years old now. Oh wow!
Along with a box with all the goodies including a camera fitting with the OM1 T-mount attachment. Just happens to take the E series adapter. So I hung the camera on the end and stuck it out of the door. Always was a bugger to focus and a might soft. But you get to see it anyway...
It was shot in landscape I just cropped the sides.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:21 AM   #2

Dang! That was a neat find, the remembrance and hardware etal. I love it when I find stuff that I remember but had not thought of for some time (Bonnie says I forgot about it but I tell here I just had not thought of it in a while).

Anyway, this is something I have often said I would like doing (shooting the moon with a camera), soft or not I like seeing your image of the moon and I think it is cool.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Always was a bugger to focus and a might soft. But you get to see it anyway...
That C5 is capable of much more sharpness. The problem is likely to be that it needs to be collimated - the secondary (hyperbolic-shaped) mirror on the front lens isn't aligned correctly. I explain that on my web site here.

Call Anacortes and see if they will do that for you. You probably will be amazed at the difference.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
That C5 is capable of much more sharpness. The problem is likely to be that it needs to be collimated - the secondary (hyperbolic-shaped) mirror on the front lens isn't aligned correctly. I explain that on my web site here.

Call Anacortes and see if they will do that for you. You probably will be amazed at the difference.

Ted
Thanks Bob, lot's of fun.

That's good news Ted, I'll "Have to" look into that, I went into the store at Anacortes just last week when I took the shot of the pier. I need a camera tripod fitting as well so I will go back.

I have a little book on the C5 I'll check that out with your site. I'd really like to get better shots with it.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:38 PM   #5

Ken, you're fortunate. There aren't many telescope B&M stores left and you have one nearby (sorta).
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:30 PM   #6

I think these people survive by selling guns in half the store these days. Odd combination of goods but they're both instruments..!

The telescopes have come long way since mine. now you just look up co-ordinates punch them in the pad and the scope finds your object. I'll try some sky shots if I can get the focusing right, a long way again from Ice Packed Cameras.

Time to leave this busy office and head for home...and a look at the scope. Not a bad morning, sold a house... WOOOOO HOOOOO!

A few more and I'll be thinking about an E30 with a 50-200. Seems a long way off yet though.

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:55 PM   #7

This is an interesting thread. Keep us updated on your astronomy adventures. That scope sounds like it will have real potential for you. Now just sell some more houses and pick up that E-30.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:25 AM   #8

OK, sold a house today and one last Thursday so that means....Well it doesn't mean much, we've just put offers in, now we wait.

In the meantime I had a go at Collaminating the C5. It didn't need much very little actually but what it meant is that I got a cleaner image through the viewfinder to use my splitscreen on the edge of the moon.

And got these tonight. A little better than last nights shots methinks, just cropped the sides because I shot in horizontal mode.
(1250mm at 4/3 =) 2500mm, f10, 1/8 sec.

Focusing is finicky and critical, you can see how the DOF drops away with the curvature of the moon to the right edge.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 AM   #9

Very good, and a noticeable improvement! But it can be even more sharp. Are you using a remote shutter release, or the self timer? If not, try that - I think you're getting some motion blur.

That said, astrophotography is difficult, including achieving good focus. About the time I felt I had enough experience with my scope to try it, we ended up moving back to the east coast, where the light pollution means I'm lucky to see a full moon in the night sky.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 17, 2013 at 6:10 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Very good, and a noticeable improvement! But it can be even more sharp. Are you using a remote shutter release, or the self timer? If not, try that - I think you're getting some motion blur.

That said, astrophotography is difficult, including achieving good focus. About the time I felt I had enough experience with my scope to try it, we ended up moving back to the east coast, where the light pollution means I'm lucky to see a full moon in the night sky.

Ted
It's an E500. You know the one where they decided that the camera didn't need any external attachments. not even electric releases. So yes!: I'm using a 2.5 sec timer.

I had a good look with a flashlight today and it looks to me like it needs cleaning "Inside" It's hazy inside the glass. I called Anacortes, they don't do cleaning, all they suggested was a ships instrument fixer upper in Seattle. Not sure if I want to go that route.