Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:21 PM   #21

Like the deer and pheasant shots, very nice.As to:

"Got a message on the screen. "No Card" well buggers! The card was in the reader slot in the computer upstairs.
So back inside I go, up the stairs, removed the card and put it in the camera as I went out once more."

Heck, I thought I was the only one who did that. I got a bunch of XD cards, to darn small for me. Anyone want to trade a CF card for a few of these? HaHa, likely not.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Like the deer and pheasant shots, very nice.As to:

"Got a message on the screen. "No Card" well buggers! The card was in the reader slot in the computer upstairs.
So back inside I go, up the stairs, removed the card and put it in the camera as I went out once more."

Heck, I thought I was the only one who did that. I got a bunch of XD cards, to darn small for me. Anyone want to trade a CF card for a few of these? HaHa, likely not.
LOL. None of us use the xD cards regularly, but most folks keep one in the camera to use them as an emergency backup. No use to leave that card slot empty. And I myself have used the xD card to keep shooting when I have filled up a CF card sooner than I expected. That is why I keep a 2GB xD card in its slot in all my cameras. Kinda like the old Boy Scouts motto: "Be prepared."
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
LOL. None of us use the xD cards regularly, but most folks keep one in the camera to use them as an emergency backup.
Wow! You daylight shooting guys really had it easy.

From the early days of Oly DSLRs I've always been stressing them out, shooting indoor available light events, starting with the Oly E20. In those days you really couldn't depend on chimping with the LCD to tell if you really got the shot - calibrating the LCD for a variety of really low light imaging locations was totally unreliable.

Guess what was reliable. Putting a well exposed image you previously took in the location you were shooting, on the flash card in the second slot. Then you could check your initial shots in the next event to see if you were in the ballpark, by flipping back and forth between the two cards. You think xD is bad? Hah! Try the SmartMedia cards in the second slot of the E20.

I'm serious about the importance of the second card slot back then, for indoor available light shooting with the slow sensors at that time. So much so that when the E1 came out and it only had one card slot, I decided that Oly didn't really understand the needs of a real photographer, and immediately dismissed it. (And to this day I believe that hurt the sales of the E1.) The E-500 met my needs for an upgrade to my E20, which is too bad because I vastly preferred the ergonomics of the E1.

[End of Rant ]

Ted

PS: My point here is that any of you who shoot in unusual situations may want to think about using the second slot to hold reference images when absolute quality is an issue.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote