Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:38 PM   #11

no its not him, its a guy from the UK

>"I'd like the E1's silent shutter in any new cam but how do you achieve a high FPS and keep it super silent ?"

GH2 doesnt use the shutter at 40 fps, just as it doesnt for video
thats the thing about mirrorless
at the end of the day there are a lot more toys, and it makes an SLR seem stoic

this is, I dont know 6 or 8 frames merged together in Oloneo

I truly think that most likely we are in for another SLR this time around
but there is a possibility that its a 43rds mount EVF body

but I also think mirrorless and the SLRs are converging anyway, and we are a pdAF away from complete commonality
It wont be long before OMD types will be doing everything the SLRs do
so if Ex doesnt make you happy OMD Pro might

in a sense, weve nothing to lose here,
so Im more upbeat, more optimistic, more excited than I have been for awhile

Last edited by Rriley; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:16 AM   #12

Harj, you're definitely right about Amalric. I have rarely come across a person so full of hate - I truly feel sorry for him.

For those of you who haven't experienced that guy, here's the start of a recent reply he wrote:

Narcissit-depressive, very common occurrence in a forum, full of pathological liars/clueless users.

The irony about that statement is that if you look at his photos in flickr, they're merely mediocre - not a lot better than snapshots and nothing special. Fortunately he's moved from the Oly SLR forum to the 43 forum there. (Well, not fortunate for the 43 folks, sadly.) Makes us truly appreciate this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
in a sense, we've nothing to lose here,
so I'm more upbeat, more optimistic, more excited than I have been for awhile
Well said!

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 21, 2013 at 6:40 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:14 AM   #13

I think my E3's on the way out .. I took it to the "London Film and Comiccon" Conference and it just switched itself off while i was just about to take a pic. The battery was good - fully charged and I was able to power it back on aok, but I've also noticed some weird AF issues where I've not been able to get any kind of lock until the 3rd-4th attempt. So if they bring out a replacement I'll be looking to setup and get one .. but only if its not crazily priced at FF prices.

Riley .. if its not Al... I'm a wee bit surprised as that guy takes the top spot for spewing BS.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:54 AM   #14

I wonder about these AF things. I noticed that my E5 can be a little iffy for AF. Thing is its usually after I shoot off a pole. All of my screws around the tripod mount have gone, even the ones that replaced the screws I originally lost. Same thing used to happen to E3 as well. I dont see any light leaks, and cdAF seems to work ok/

Make sure the lens and body contacts are clean. Take the lens off and have a good look around the bottom of the mirrorbox for dust flakes over the AF sensor lens. Examine the mirrors for dust flakes too, check the main mirror both sides, as it has to allow light to go right through.

Lift up the mirror from the edge, not with your fingers use something like a cotton bud. Look underneath it and see the sub-mirror. Reflex the sub mirror a few times to make sure its free, you should feel a slight lump of resistance at first. Sometimes flicking the mirror restores things.

If you touch the mirrors with your skin you will leave body oils behind no matter how clean your hands are.

Usually mine comes back to life after a bit. I guess if all that fails its a shop job.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I think my E3's on the way out .. I took it to the "London Film and Comiccon" Conference and it just switched itself off while i was just about to take a pic. The battery was good - fully charged and I was able to power it back on aok, but I've also noticed some weird AF issues where I've not been able to get any kind of lock until the 3rd-4th attempt. So if they bring out a replacement I'll be looking to setup and get one .. but only if its not crazily priced at FF prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
I wonder about these AF things. I noticed that my E5 can be a little iffy for AF. Thing is its usually after I shoot off a pole. All of my screws around the tripod mount have gone, even the ones that replaced the screws I originally lost. Same thing used to happen to E3 as well.
And in his post about the great deal he got on the 90-250 (that Greg referred to over at DPR), Collin Baxter noted that his E5 broke a second time.

I'm just saying I haven't seen many complaints about the E3 or E5 reliability - now I've seen three in a short time. Collin is taking his camera out in the bush, but I don't think Harj and RR are. And anyway, a pro camera is supposed to be reliable regardless of the circumstances. My friend Mannie Garcia has taken his Nikons into battlefields for a living for years - he's a war photographer. But I suppose he would say that's why the pro Nikon body and glass is so expensive...

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:21 AM   #16

they're saying Sept over at 43rumor
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
And in his post about the great deal he got on the 90-250 (that Greg referred to over at DPR), Collin Baxter noted that his E5 broke a second time.

I'm just saying I haven't seen many complaints about the E3 or E5 reliability - now I've seen three in a short time. Collin is taking his camera out in the bush, but I don't think Harj and RR are. And anyway, a pro camera is supposed to be reliable regardless of the circumstances. My friend Manny Garcia has taken his Nikons into battlefields for a living for years - he's a war photographer. But I suppose he would say that's why the pro Nikon body and glass is so expensive...
God knows what Col does with his cameras though, no offence to Col but some people can break a crowbar in a box of sand

AF is a lot of camera performance, but I think if I really needed the best for the toughest situations Nikon seems a bit fallible of late, Id be looking at 1D, thats were the track record is.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:12 PM   #18

For Mannie, autofocus is everything when bullets really are flying.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM.