Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:41 PM   #1

Default Oly and Sony Partnership.. Sony gets its all ?

A few weeks ago, the latest news from Sony and Oly was more sharing of tech between the two companies. Here's the blurb:

"Olympus-Sony partnership more advanced than we could think of. New sensor tech in 2015.

I got many new rumors about the Olympus-Sony partnership. Apparently the partnership on the camera front is much more tight than you could think by reading the official press releases. In short:
1) All the best tech from Olympus like the 5 axis stabilization, JPEG engine, lens knowledge are already being implemented in the soon to be announced Sony A and E-mount cameras. We will see them in use on Sony cameras by end 2013 already!
2) Olympus will receive some literally “Amazing” sensors from Sony. 2014 sensor will be improved tech based on today’s sensor tech (with on sensor PDAF for example). From 2015 on completely new kind of sensors will be used that will be more advanced than the sensor tech show recently by the Panasonic-Fuji duo. More about that in a future 43rumors post."

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-...-tech-in-2015/

I'm not too sure what to make of it .. seems Oly gets some new sensors and Sony may get everything else that Oly has. I wonder how a Sony FF SLR with the Oly jpeg engine. IBIS and I'm assuming dust buster would look and compare to whatever Oly brings out .

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:07 PM   #2

I'm really intrigued by the prospect of a such radical new sensors for 2015 and beyond:
".......From 2015 on completely new kind of sensors will be used that will be more advanced than the sensor tech show recently by the Panasonic-Fuji duo. More about that in a future 43rumors post."

Combined with the superior Olympus glass, that sounds like a win-win situation for Oly.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:18 AM   #3

Hey Steve

I'm still not convinced that sharing everything what you do best - lenses, dust buster, jpeg engine, IBIS and anything else that is Oly for just new sensors is a great idea. The question then is if Sony make a camera that has 5 axis IBIS, the same dust buster, produces oly cam jpegs OOF cam and you can get zukio lenses in the A or Emount for it with larger sensors - APS and FF, then what reason would you have to get an Oly cam, other than already being invested in the glass. If you were looking to move to mirrorless or SLR would you then still go Oly or Sony ?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:53 AM   #4

The best news of all is Olympus is freed from the crippling (competition-wise) image quality forced on Olympus users from inferior Panasonic sensor technology.

As far as how it helps/hurts Olympus compared to Sony (any format) cameras, well.....that's what happens when idiots run the asylum and someone steps in with the capital you need to stay alive. Your proprietary information becomes theirs. Five years from now we may all be using Zuiko lenses on Sony digicams.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:20 AM   #5

Yeah, I'll still want to use Zuiko glass. Maybe because I don't know much about Sony glass although Kirk Tuck seems to be happy. Carl Zeiss used to sell lenses with Sony mounts and Zeiss lenses are awesome, but very very expensive especially for a manual focus lens.

But I'm puzzled here. Sony doesn't sell a 4/3 sensor, just APS-C and FF. Are they planning to put an APS-C sensor in an Oly 4/3 body and mask off part of the sensor?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6

No doubt Oly can benefit from more competitive sensors. The real question is whether they'll be able to get the capital together and produce some strong marketing material. When the entire ILC universe was DSLR - Oly had the market cornered on - smallest offering with high quality optics. They no longer have those very distinct competitive advantages. Everyone else has started to re-vamp their lens lineup and has quality offerings. And all the major players have small size offerings as well. So, Oly is going to need a good marketing campaign on top of the new sensors. Because, let's face it - if Joe Consumer sees a small Oly camera and a small Nikon camera they're going to be leaning Nikon just on name recognition.

On the Sony front - we'll see. I think they still suffer from their shotgun approach to the market - throwing out a whole bunch of bodies with different technologies and too much overlap. They seemed to have reeled themselves back in but I think they've got more work to do. Canon and Nikon have kept Sony at bay, in part, I believe, because their approach is much more understandable to the consumer. So, bottom line - I think both companies are going to need improvement in the marketing aspect if they're going to benefit from the technology sharing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
But I'm puzzled here. Sony doesn't sell a 4/3 sensor, just APS-C and FF. Are they planning to put an APS-C sensor in an Oly 4/3 body and mask off part of the sensor?

Ted
The current Olympus micro four-thirds cameras are already using Sony sensors right now.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...rorless-camera

The E-M5, E-P5, E-PL5 and E-PM2. The E-M5 I'm using now blows away any prior Pen or four-thirds DSLR model I've used in terms of high ISO performance and ability to raise raw file shadow levels with no noise penalty. It's night and day compared with any past Pen or four-thirds DSLR.

I would say Olympus marketing sucks, but I think it would have to actually exist in order to say such a thing. Olympus lack of marketing sucks. There, that sounds more like it.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:49 PM   #8

"I would say Olympus marketing sucks, but I think it would have to actually exist in order to say such a thing. Olympus lack of marketing sucks. There, that sounds more like it."

Greg.. sounds much much better ...

What I'm curious about is whether Oly simply gets newer sensors or is there more to it than that ? Right now from the looks of it Sony's getting a lot Oly's core tech that adds and advantage to their cams. If were going to see new A and E mount cam's with larger sensors + smaller bodies (m43 only) what advantage other than the crop factor and smaller lenses does Oly have esp if you look at it in terms of FT ?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:09 PM   #9

If the new sensors include on-sensor PDAF, that would be much more than just improved image quality. It gives them the ability to truly bridge micro and four-thirds together in one body that uses both lens systems equally well. If it were released on a new Olympus DSLR, live view on the back LCD would operate just as well as normal AF operation. Whether they make that happen on a combined/two lens system body with a separate adapter to account for the differing registers or something "else", I'm guessing the AF performance has probably been the biggest hurdle for them.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The current Olympus micro four-thirds cameras are already using Sony sensors right now.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...rorless-camera

The E-M5, E-P5, E-PL5 and E-PM2. The E-M5 I'm using now blows away any prior Pen or four-thirds DSLR model I've used in terms of high ISO performance and ability to raise raw file shadow levels with no noise penalty. It's night and day compared with any past Pen or four-thirds DSLR.
Thanks, Greg - somehow that fact went right past me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I would say Olympus marketing sucks, but I think it would have to actually exist in order to say such a thing. Olympus lack of marketing sucks. There, that sounds more like it.
I totally agree. I get Oly emails all the time, mostly advertising their P&S cameras. You'd think they could figure out which people registered high-end DSLR and micro cameras, and target us. If they can't do that, what chance do they have to target the consumer audience?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote