Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:31 AM   #11

Just in case anybody missed the news :

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Just in case anybody missed the news :

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
All I see is another mouth to feed that's going to cost them tens (if not hundreds) of millions more dollars over the next 80-90 years.
Well put! It's about time the Brits, and everyone else, realizes any monarchy is a scam. Bloodlines should not determine who is at the top of the pyramid.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Well put! It's about time the Brits, and everyone else, realizes any monarchy is a scam. Bloodlines should not determine who is at the top of the pyramid.

John
In times past I would have emphatically agreed with you. But after the juvenile performance of both Parties in Congress in the recent few years, I'm starting to become open to another system. If we could find a way to ensure an active and benevolent monarchy I could be persuaded...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:28 AM   #15

thats true, its a strange situation but
the 'power' they have is the power they deny anyone else

wouldnt mind betting the pomp and pageantry adds a fair bit to tourism too
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:32 AM   #16

BTW, reports I saw here said they'd never choose "George" since British Kings with that name did not exactly distinguish themselves. So much for the accuracy of reporters' predictions.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
In times past I would have emphatically agreed with you. But after the juvenile performance of both Parties in Congress in the recent few years, I'm starting to become open to another system. If we could find a way to ensure an active and benevolent monarchy I could be persuaded...

Ted
Our system's definitely broken and part of it is we actually do have a monarchy of sorts with members of congress serving unlimited numbers of terms and have created mini fifedoms within their powers of influence. I would argue term limits is more important for congress than it is for the presidency. That and limiting access to congress of special interest groups and their lobbying cohorts.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:54 PM   #18

"Our system's definitely broken and part of it is we actually do have a monarchy of sorts with members of congress serving unlimited numbers of terms and have created mini fifedoms within their powers of influence. I would argue term limits is more important for congress than it is for the presidency. That and limiting access to congress of special interest groups and their lobbying cohorts."

Greg .. now thats spot on in my book. When I see and hear of congressmen/senators being in office for decades and the only way they seem to leave is by retiring, getting caught with their pants down or kicking the bucket it. Thats definitely not healthy for any democracy and then you through in the multi billion $$$$ lobbying industry into the mix its definitely not a healthy system. Can't say the system here is any better .. its the same mob career politicians running in safe seats with zero experience of real life and with their fingers in the cookie jar... I'd have the Queen over that mob any day
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Our system's definitely broken and part of it is we actually do have a monarchy of sorts with members of congress serving unlimited numbers of terms and have created mini fifedoms within their powers of influence. I would argue term limits is more important for congress than it is for the presidency. That and limiting access to congress of special interest groups and their lobbying cohorts.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:56 PM   #20

Quote:
People still talk of the Kennedy's as some sort of American Royalty. The Bush clan and now the Romney's are all in there.

They aught to round them all up. The truly annoying and embarrassing bunch of Brits and yanks and put then on Bikini Atoll or sumwere....
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote