Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
People still talk of the Kennedy's as some sort of American Royalty. The Bush clan and now the Romney's are all in there.

They aught to round them all up. The truly annoying and embarrassing bunch of Brits and yanks and put then on Bikini Atoll or sumwere....
they would but, what was left of French royalty nuked the place
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
People still talk of the Kennedy's as some sort of American Royalty.
Although I don't necessarily agree with their politics, I do feel you're selling them short. Even my father, who was politically to the right of Alaric the Visigoth, admired the Kennedy family back then. They believed that public service was what you did when you could afford to, and that's worth something.

Name me anyone who believes that now. Chuck Hegel is in a small group.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:47 PM   #23

Hey..Ted... I like Chuck Hagel.. so glad you mentioned him. I think for too many of these politicians its not about serving for the good of everyone.. its get in .. and stay put and line your nest and get onto as many directorships as possible. They get an added bonus for invading or start a war here or there .. Will we ever see the likes of Franklin D. Roosevelt,the kennedy's, the LBJ and Eisenhower from the US .. to the likes of David Lloyd George, Harold Wilson, Clement Attlee the likes of whom we're never going to see again. This whole topic makes me think of how spot on Plato was nearly 2500 years ago:

“The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”

“One of the penalties of refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.”

You guys got me thinking .. if iI was stateside.. Id be considered a sandels, Hawaiian shirt wearing loony liberal (have to ay thats pretty close) and being tailed by J E Hoovers crew.

PS ..

You guys do however have John Stewart and Stephen Colbert and gave us Ralph Nader... !

Last edited by HarjTT; Jul 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Although I don't necessarily agree with their politics, I do feel you're selling them short. Even my father, who was politically to the right of Alaric the Visigoth, admired the Kennedy family back then. They believed that public service was what you did when you could afford to, and that's worth something.

Name me anyone who believes that now. Chuck Hegel is in a small group.
Joe Kennedy the Nazi admirer, he and Charles Limburg another Nazi admirer expected that the Royal family would go to America to live and the royal Navy should surrender her ships to the US.

John Kennedy and brother Bobby were ones who realized that they could really do things to help the US and the world. And paid for it. Alaric put out a hit on them. I did admire them.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
they would but, what was left of French royalty nuked the place
My point exactly..
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Our system's definitely broken and part of it is we actually do have a monarchy of sorts with members of congress serving unlimited numbers of terms and have created mini fifedoms within their powers of influence. I would argue term limits is more important for congress than it is for the presidency. That and limiting access to congress of special interest groups and their lobbying cohorts.
Again well said. Term limits for Presidents is meaningless at this point as they are all selected rather than elected. Congress is the only real bulwark we have against a pseudo dictatorship ruled by corporate interests. Now that they have for the most part been bought off we see the results.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
In times past I would have emphatically agreed with you. But after the juvenile performance of both Parties in Congress in the recent few years, I'm starting to become open to another system. If we could find a way to ensure an active and benevolent monarchy I could be persuaded...

Ted
Agree that the idea could be a more just system for all but without a sense of dharma it would have no chance. But there is a very good case to be made for the idea that a truly just and noble ruler could lift the entire population. After all, the empty corruption of our current system sets the tone for much of life here.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote