Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:16 PM   #1

Default RideLondon2013 - Road Race from London to Surrey and back

The weekend saw the first ever Prudential RideLondon event with parts of the city off limits to cars to allow a field of amateur and pro cyclists race in the city. A pretty phenomenal two days and I'm still working through the images and again testing the cameras setup... I had to do a hard reset on the E3 and cleanup all of the contacts on the cam and the beastie after an annoying first day.

I really hate the bulk of the E3 + grip and for the first time ever, the weight and bulk of the setup really began to bug me. I was yearning for a smaller cam.

Here's a few pics:

1. Grand Prix - a mixed event with able bodied cyclists and those with disabilities in. vet's from the armed forces.

2. Team Battle Back

3. Crash - the Women's Pro Road race. I wasn't quick enough to snap the actual crash .. actually I was but the AF on the E3 wasn't. There was a pretty bad 2nd crash on the last lap of the race and a number of the ladies were hurt pretty badly.

4. Race Leader

5. The Chasing pack ..

6. Riding for fun.. Rider 23745

The hard reset actually seemed to really help - I tried manual focusing which was hard with the cyclists flying by, turning off the CAF AF lock seemed to help but I'm not 100% sure if CAF works better with or without as I switched back as I couldn't make out on the LCD whether I was getting pics in focus or not.

John... I'd like your thoughts on these .. any better ? Its still prey and spray which is pretty hard to accept but at teh speed that these guys and gals go at there's no other choice.

Cheers

HArj

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:44 PM   #2

I like those shots. The action shots are good, but my favorite is actually the last one of the leisure rider.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:01 PM   #3

Hey Steve

The fun riders were good to watch, while the pro's all look pretty intense..

Here's the shot before of rider 23475 .. I liked this one more because of the cycle reflection on the shades .. quiet appropriate if you ask me !

Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:05 PM   #4

I prefer the first shot. The composition is better with the riders in the background, IMO. You can always photoshop the lens into the first shot!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:13 PM   #5

Uuummmm; 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:31 AM   #6

any idea of your AF hit rate Harj ?
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:14 AM   #7

Hey Riley

Previous attempts the hit rate for critically sharp pics was 10% but this time it looks to be higher although I've not gone through and checked all the pics yet. The other change was setting the Caf mode 1 from the default mode 2 but that was only done on Sundays pics. Will post more info tonight
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:58 AM   #8

I like them all but #3 is scary - their legs look like they're stronger than mine are.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:57 AM   #9

Strong set Harj. I like that you got a number of different types of shot here. Better choice in each shot of whether to have subject isolation or multiple subjects. As a series of shots, this is the most interesting series you've done on the racing posts to me. Well done!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #10

All good stuff Harj. Like them all. This race was on Telly here yesterday, I watched a bit of it.

Have you thought of one of those harnesses for the camera, keeps it up high on the chest ready when your not shooting. It may take some of that strain off your back and arms.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote