Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:08 PM   #1

Default An excellent E-3 feature

Duh, I was under a misconception about the exposure bracketing on the E-3.

In the menu option you can select 3 shot bracketing of either ISO or EV. The bracket choice is + or - .3, or .7, or 1.0. And all of us know that already. Since I normally don't do HDR, I had never bothered with it.

But my misconception was that you had to take 3 quick burst shots to get your exposure bracketing. Boy, was I wrong. I just found out tonight that you set your exposure bracketing and only have to take one shot! The camera internally writes the 3 images to the card from just the one trip of the shutter. Wow, no worrying about slight registration areas when merging the 3 shots in your software program, etc.

The rest of you guys probably knew that already, but it is new to me. I might even try some PP to see about creating some simple HDR shots. Looks like it would be simple to load the 3 shots as layers and then merge them into one photograph.

There are so many options in the E-3, even after using it for a couple of years I am still learning new things about that camera.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:27 PM   #2

I use it all the time with ISO 100, 200, 400
problem is it isnt true ISO

if you use RAW all the images are the same so its just different e/v or gain with diff ISO written into the EXIF

which eventually means it can be really noisy in the shadows
something I hope the new sensor will alleviate

on the good side
once you merge the three the tonality is really great, much better than I could do with one exposure
the card writes are fast, and the processing is very quick
It would be rare for me to spend more than 2 mins in post, this process fits that criteria

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:36 AM   #3

I had no way of knowing that, but it sounds useful Steven.

So, Riley, (Every time I think 'Riley" I think of my wife's old cat, Rotten Riley... Great for bringing in the house dead wharf rats in Ketchikan.) Sorry where was I...

You use the ISO for your spread rather than the shutter..? Interesting concept.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
So, Riley, (Every time I think 'Riley" I think of my wife's old cat, Rotten Riley... Great for bringing in the house dead wharf rats in Ketchikan.) Sorry where was I...

You use the ISO for your spread rather than the shutter..? Interesting concept.
my ex has another name, not sure I can use it here unless I want to be banned

for work? outdoors mostly I'll slip it in 'P'rofessional mode ,with an UWA focus generally doesnt matter. But its had its moments sometimes

indoors,manual mode always. I almost always use f/4.5 and have done so since having 11-22. Then I just roll the shutter speed as necessary.
Into windows speed as necessary, shooting back the other way Im not affraid to go down to 1/10th sec, I guess 1/25th is most common.

I use speed a lot but hold ISO to 200, and ISO bracket is on my interiors setup in my MyMode settings.
OC FL-50r flash is set to TTL,usually at -1/3 stop. If the ceilings are dark I take it down some more, -2/3 to -1 stop which stops that heavy looking flash dominated exposure I really dont like
It provides a lot more tonal range, pleasing widow highlight control,in Oloneo its fast to execute and transfer to PSP.

Being a dark scene the temptation is to blast a scene like this with a lot of flash, when actually it needs a lot less.
I dont want it to look 18% grey as metering will be calculating, it is better as a darker warmer scene.
Blast it with flash and you add to your problems and bounced flash will all be coloured the ceiling colour, whatever that is.

another little thing I like to do is have doors in adjacent spaces open, then include them in the exposure map in my mind.
drop the shutter speed as low as necessary, ibIS will control shake, tho 1/25th is pretty safe.
This is the 9-18 on E3 with the nice ambient light of the interior dominating the colour and light
the only light in the adjacent spaces is there tungsten sources, so they look warm yellow

ISO bracket just adds that hard to describe rich tonal layer,
its the difference between those bland technical cool flash dominated shots
and the warm feelings of an inviting space we are trying to promote

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:34 PM   #5

Brilliant shots and an excellent primer for indoor photos. Got to change my way of thinking.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:16 PM   #6

very kind
thanks
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Brilliant shots and an excellent primer for indoor photos.
He truly is a master at that.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:57 PM   #8

Thanks for the quick lesson. Will have to try this out. That first room is great. Is that your flash reflection in the window?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Brilliant shots and an excellent primer for indoor photos. Got to change my way of thinking.
Ditto
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcgriff View Post
Thanks for the quick lesson. Will have to try this out. That first room is great. Is that your flash reflection in the window?
yes it looks like it is
that is of course bad and so simple to fix
just put the palm of your hand across the front of the flash and let the stofen soften the light going up

it was a great house