Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:58 AM   #11

If this is the E5 replacement I can see Oly pricing it at approx 1500 euros, if its an exceptional camera - ie.can utilise all of the FT lenses with an AF system is at least as fast (in both CAF/SAF) but more accurate than whats in the E5/3 and has a new sensor that matches or is pretty close to the best APS-C (inc. Fuji's latest) then I'll bite.

If its not, and say the AF system with FT lenses is only a small improvement over what the latest m43's cam then would it be worth 1500$? If its an exceptional cam in all respects other than being able to use FT glass would it be worth getting? What if this cam required an FT adaptor and as Riley suggested that cost another $160 but only provided build quality and nothing else ?

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
If this is the E5 replacement I can see Oly pricing it at approx 1500 euros, if its an exceptional camera - ie.can utilise all of the FT lenses with an AF system is at least as fast (in both CAF/SAF) but more accurate than whats in the E5/3 and has a new sensor that matches or is pretty close to the best APS-C (inc. Fuji's latest) then I'll bite.

If its not, and say the AF system with FT lenses is only a small improvement over what the latest m43's cam then would it be worth 1500$? If its an exceptional cam in all respects other than being able to use FT glass would it be worth getting? What if this cam required an FT adaptor and as Riley suggested that cost another $160 but only provided build quality and nothing else ?

yes I think 'professionally', a mirrorless camera with MMF-x adapter for SHG lenses is somewhere below sub optimal.
I can probably get away with it for what I do.
But I wouldnt want to be an event shooter of PJ, who would encounter more lens changes and would be working out of a bag on his/her feet,
juggling bits of very expensive lenses and adapters, it just isnt safe.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:31 AM   #13

I personally don;t like the idea of having to use an adapter to get my FT lenses to work - if its part of the package and is extremely well made, so build quality is of the SHG variety and it supports all of the EC's and TC's and you don;t loose any AF performance then it would be worth considering. If its not then its time to look else where.

the other question then is what happened to Olys one beautiful system ? Obviously, FT at this point in time if the rumour is right then its gone the way of the dodo.

Another twist to a OMD Pro is how well will it sell in NA and the EU? From what I've read mirrorless systems are only really selling well in the far east, so how will they (Oly and Pana) get around the fact a lot of ppl in the west still just simply pick up an DSLR ? Now I stumbled on the D3100 today and that thing is small.. infact I was shocked how small and light it is even when compared to the m43 cam's.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:38 PM   #14

D3100 are certainly cheap to pick up too
not at all sure what theyre like ergonomically

looking at the DPR studio shot machine, I think one of the unsung bargains with Nikon is likely the D700.

but then you have to work lens prices into the mix as well. I always thought Canon are cheaper there, not sure its really true.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:17 PM   #15

A few things that stood out on the D3100 was:

* How small it is - its only a wee bit bigger than most m43 cams
* Price - that thing is cheap
* Build quality - it looks cheap
* Ergonomics - definitely nothing like Nikon's larger bodies but with the grip, its going to be more comfortable than most mirrorless cams and is still small. Buttonwise and placement reminded me of most small cams .. it looks cramped fine for a 50mm prime or kit lens but nothing else.

Canon/Nikon - Lens wise, the Nikkors are cheaper here... I've seen the 70-200VR F2.8 MK2 going for 1700 brand new, whereas the 70-200MK2IS F2.8 Canon is in the 2200+ range. Several of the guys at work have all upgraded from APSC - D200/D300/D7000 to D700's and none of them have regretted it.

I'm going to sit tight and see how things pan out.. I'm going to take a good look at the K5MK2, Fuji X1Pro/XE1 and anything else that catches my eye. I'll aim to just get one really nice bit of glass - in the 50 to 90mm range for just shooting portraits and it has to be as good as the SHG. After that I'll see what I do with the beastie...

One thing that I did notice with someone shooting with an Fuji XE1 was the low no of pics from a single battery that he was getting - looks like its an average 250-300/battery for most mirrorless not a big problem but it was worth noting.

If FT is like a dodo in a few months then there's going to be a lot of ppl angry with Oly. What would really annoy me is if they kept the same shenanigans going on - Oly PR manager in Japan ..."we're going to create an DSLR for our EX users ..its currently in planning stages and we are sure it will have the largest and fastest whatever you want in the world as long as its used with micro FT lenses.." ..

Dragging whats left of the FT users along for another year or so and then say sorry its all over is really unacceptable.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:19 PM   #16

Quote:
A few things that stood out on the D3100 was:

* How small it is - its only a wee bit bigger than most m43 cams
* Price - that thing is cheap
* Build quality - it looks cheap
* Ergonomics - definitely nothing like Nikon's larger bodies but with the grip, its going to be more comfortable than most mirrorless cams and is still small. Buttonwise and placement reminded me of most small cams .. it looks cramped fine for a 50mm prime or kit lens but nothing else.

Canon/Nikon - Lens wise, the Nikkors are cheaper here... I've seen the 70-200VR F2.8 MK2 going for 1700 brand new, whereas the 70-200MK2IS F2.8 Canon is in the 2200+ range. Several of the guys at work have all upgraded from APSC - D200/D300/D7000 to D700's and none of them have regretted it.

I'm going to sit tight and see how things pan out.. I'm going to take a good look at the K5MK2, Fuji X1Pro/XE1 and anything else that catches my eye. I'll aim to just get one really nice bit of glass - in the 50 to 90mm range for just shooting portraits and it has to be as good as the SHG. After that I'll see what I do with the beastie...

One thing that I did notice with someone shooting with an Fuji XE1 was the low no of pics from a single battery that he was getting - looks like its an average 250-300/battery for most mirrorless not a big problem but it was worth noting.

If FT is like a dodo in a few months then there's going to be a lot of ppl angry with Oly. What would really annoy me is if they kept the same shenanigans going on - Oly PR manager in Japan ..."we're going to create an DSLR for our EX users ..its currently in planning stages and we are sure it will have the largest and fastest whatever you want in the world as long as its used with micro FT lenses.." ..

Dragging whats left of the FT users along for another year or so and then say sorry its all over is really unacceptable.
it makes a difference image wise whether you are talking MkI or MkII 70-200, as f/2.8 isnt anything to write home about. I just looked at 70-200/2.8 VR II at B&H and its $2400
Canon give you the option of 70-200/4 which is pennies to buy comparatively, mine was like $600+. But then theres the old thing about if you use a 2x no AF.

I hear what you say about dragging people along, if it turns out the replacement is just an OMD with pdAF, that pdAF better be damn perfect or there will be a bloodbath.
And on batteries, my GH2 takes those coded batteries. I have the hack to get around it so I dont have to pay $116 per battery. But it means that I have no battery meter.
When the battery goes dry it just shuts down in the middle of a shoot, nothing!
Ive learned to make sure the plate for the video tripod doesnt block the battery trapdoor so I can change batteries without going through all that unscrewing and putting back together

theres a lot about cameras that is, shall we say less than perfect...

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:32 AM   #17

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but to keep this in perspective, my first digital camera was a Logitech FotoMan (aka Dycam Model 3) that had a 90,000 pixel sensor and cost US$995 in 1990.

The very first production DSLR was the KODAK DCS-100 SLR, a Nikon F3 with a 1.3MP sensor, and cost $30,000 in 1990, half the price of a Porsche 911 at that time.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:56 PM   #18

Hey Ted ..

Those 96000 pixels were bleeding edge at the time and bleeding spendy as well !

I think if the cam is clearly m43 - OMD high end then I think theyre going to have trouble justifying a 1500USD price tag.. look at Pana's GH3 as a prime example, which is selling for $1100.00 and that's a cam that appeals to me quiet a bit esp when you look at its specs. Now Oly hasn;t been bleedin edge in a while - the exception being the 5 axis IBIS so a 1500+ price point is going to be hard sell. If its an E7 a proper FT cam even then it would be a hard sell to anyone but the faithful.

I just realised that SOny's the dark horse.. so why not wait and see what ZD lenses they get and with all of the other Oly goodies, SOny could come up with someothing pretty compelling.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:11 PM   #19

With the Olympus body you'll have the best part of a Sony digital camera....the sensor.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
With the Olympus body you'll have the best part of a Sony digital camera....the sensor.
this is true
most things wrong about Sony cameras, are because of Sony being Sony
but that isnt about the sensors which are good