Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Ted ..

I think if the cam is clearly m43 - OMD high end then I think they're going to have trouble justifying a 1500USD price tag.. look at Pana's GH3 as a prime example, which is selling for $1100.00 and that's a cam that appeals to me quiet a bit esp when you look at its specs.
Yeah I do understand it's all relative to the competition, and $1500 is still a healthy chunk of money for me and for most folks. I was just chuckling at how much cheaper that is in 2013, than $995 was in 1990. It's also interesting to me that that Logitech took pretty good photos if you were careful to have good lighting. Sound familiar?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 13, 2013 at 6:59 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:08 AM   #22

I get a bit switched off by Pentax and other off beat marques
although for me its a bit different as they dont really field a UWA

What Im getting at is, in some ways you are back in a materially less situation also shared by Olympus.

You miss out on all the benefits of very large and growing range to C&N, and that goes right through to RAW processing,
just about any aspect you can think of. Add to that all the minor players are always more at risk of falling over,
putting you back in the same situation you are in now.
If you think its bad going through this once, try thinking about doing it twice.

Unfortunately for you you need that magic trio of glass options, autofocus that works and processable sensor performance.
Still a more stable commodity on FF, I guess thats why so many pro's cut that way in the first place

That said, there are those that seem to be able to transit around formats without issue.
While at first one would think that for much of your chosen lot FF was a more complete answer,
people like Damian McGillicuddy and that Russian bloke IlyaV have a tendency to slam dunk that back into place.
Still, I think theyre the exception to the rule...

before going anywhere, I think Id be checking out what irks me the most on other system cameras

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:31 AM   #23

Some really interesting comments here. A couple of subtle thoughts keep coming to mind. I'm not sure that we are seeing all of the things that Oly has been working on, and now I wonder if the camera coming in September is not the E-5 replacement, or if they have not leaked all the pertinent details. The new M1 does not sound like a camera that has had a special team working on it for many years. I've also picked up some random comments from others who insist that Oly will have another camera coming out at year's end. Who knows??

The other thoughts come from my business background. Canon has many non-photo and very profitable business divisions, and Olympus is a world wide leader and dominates certain medical equipment, and Oly does not depend on cameras to stay in business. While I like Nikon better than Canon, the fact is, Nikon is almost solely a camera/optical company. It lives or dies purely on camera sales. As an investor, I would be more leery about buying stock in such a company. While Nikon is certainly more successful, and has a history of success; it a way it could be compared to RIM (Blackberry) of some years back. Excellent product, a must have for a lot of people, but eventually other products were designed that did a better job.

Camera sales everywhere dropped 43% last year; I think due to the increased smartphone use. Canon, Sony, Olympus and others have other non-camera cash flows. But basically, the Nikon cash flows depend on cameras and lens.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Who knows??
the best information I have comes from an Olympus beta tester
'no E7'
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:56 AM   #25

Hi Steven.

That's why I'm figuring Nikon will be out of the mirrorless market about as fast as the aps film format came and went. DSLR's is their business. Canon can afford to be a half-hearted participant in the mirrorless field. Nikon cannot.

BTW, the Canon copier we have at the office SUCKS. It's advertised as a copier that scans. Well, copying is the slowest thing it does.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:31 PM   #26

apparently the E5 is now listed as discontinued
I guess it cant be long now

from the most important interviews I could find
http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-surp...amera-anymore/

E-5 successor will be a hybrid FT and MFT model capable of using both lens ranges with their full potential! So there will be no “Normal” Four Thirds E-7 but rather a native Micro Four Thirds cameras with a 100% compatible FT solution. He didn’t specify if there will be a sort of integrated or external adapter or a modular approach. The camera is definitely coming in late 2013 (he said!). Miguel didn’t unveil the name and the specs. He says that this is a camera for “those who want the feel of an SLR and at the same time take advantage of a small system“.

http://translate.google.com/translat...micro%2C1_9361

http://translate.google.com/translat...cumplidas.html

it does seem as though the replacement is mirrorless
but also seems like the adapter (if thats what it is) is 'different'

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:53 PM   #27

Greg and Steven,
It's worth noting that those shipment figures show mirrorless and reflex shipments dropped by an almost identical amount in 1st half of 2013.

I'm not sure you can jump to the conclusion that mirrorless will be dropped by Nikon. It would be VERY interesting to see a breakdown of full-frame to aps-c shipments YTD 2012 vs 2013. There are people that believe APS-C reflex is what is destined for the scrap heap in years to come. I think 2014 will be a very interesting year for interchangeable lens camera direction.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:33 PM   #28

John: can't disagree with what you said. I think the fact that mirrorless and reflex both dropped indicates something was replacing them equally, and I think it has to be smartphones. The young folks aren't printing much, they just upload immediately to the internet. And for what they do, they can get it with their smartphones. A percentage of them will come to want better photos, and as they age they may add a nice camera.

Riley: yep, looks like you are probably right, the two systems are being merged, and I really don't have a problem with that as long as it truly can integrate the great 4/3 glass. I don't have a problem with EVF, as they have improved so much over the years. I just hope that the new OM models are somewhat bigger than the current smaller sizes. I'm not an early adopter anyway, and will hang on to my E-3 until it wears out, then will look for a good used E-5.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:08 PM   #29

If the MMF-2 four-thirds to micro adapter had given good, or even decent performance with the four-thirds lenses I had on the Pens I was using at the time I maybe never would have sold my 12-60 or 50-200 SWD Zuikos. Those lenses, used on a body with the Sony sensor on the E-M5, that gives proper AF performance would produce fabulous results. Better than any four-thirds user has seen to date with any of the Olympus DSLR bodies.

Everything I have seen about the newest VF-4 finder is it's almost as good as a traditional optical finder, and the field of view is as big as the finders in full-frame DSLR's.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-pen-ep5/4

Put that in this new model that's about to be introduced and the model replacing the E-M5 next year, Olympus users never would have had it so good.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 13, 2013 at 6:19 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Better than any four-thirds user has seen to date with any of the Olympus DSLR bodies
Well, I have a 9-18, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200, 70-300 waiting to find out.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote