Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:12 AM   #31

Well the latest from 43rumors is reports of tests of the new OM
"I got two short feedbacks from trusted sources who were able to test the new OMD. There are two things to report:
1) AF has been reported to be very fast, reliable and accurate with Four Thirds lenses. It’s on the same level as “native” MFT lenses. This is possible because of the new on sensor PDAF
2) IQ, DR and noise is only slightly better than current OMD sensor. (Thanks to new processor and some other “tweaks”).
One more thing: The camera will ship worldwide from end November!"
Statement #1 seems to me to be the most important. If it is on the same level as native 4/3 with fast accurate focusing, then a lot of folks will be very glad to hear that.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:22 AM   #32

Quote:
.................lot of folks will be very glad to hear that
I saw this, this morning, it is what I am waiting for and I would bet it is true. The IQ, DR and noise following the EM-5 is good enough IMO.

Saving my 'dimes' and getting my reasons (excuses) in order with Bonnie (lol). BTW, the main-bath remodel here just had another hit........ I took Bonnie to a glass & mirror place in Fort Worth (TX) yesterday (I may have a new lens in the 'get even' mix too after that trip, again LOL).

Anyway it is fun to read 'rumors' about the camera.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:24 AM   #33

Hi Bob: it is fun following the house remodeling adventures of you and Bonnie. I can tell that she is far ahead of you, and you have a lot of equipment purchases needed if you are going to get your share of dollars spent. LOL
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Everything I have seen about the newest VF-4 finder is it's almost as good as a traditional optical finder, and the field of view is as big as the finders in full-frame DSLR's.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-pen-ep5/4

Put that in this new model that's about to be introduced and the model replacing the E-M5 next year, Olympus users never would have had it so good.
I hadn't seen that review - thanks, Greg. It does sound like EVFs are coming into their own.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I hadn't seen that review - thanks, Greg. It does sound like EVFs are coming into their own.
One thing about the VF-4 that's not listed anywhere I can see - does it allow you to impose a grid for horizontal and vertical alignment? One thing I really like about my E-5 is that when I received it I immediately sent it to Hauppauge where Oly installed the FS-3 focus screen. I use that a lot, and even though immediately sending the camera away was one of the hardest things I've ever done it was worth it. A level indicator is OK but not as good, and it would be easy for them to do a grid.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:04 PM   #36

You can superimpose grid lines via the body. they are visible on both the back LCD and in the viewfinder.

The cameras also have digital levels you can enable, both horizontal and vertical, that are visible in both the finder and back LCD when turned on. I have the gridlines turned on 100% of the time in my E-M5 in addition the live histogram for exposure calculation and the exposure settings. I use manual exposure pretty much all the time and the live histogram plus the finder showing the image based on the exposure settings (live preview) makes getting the exposure the way you want a piece of cake.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:24 PM   #37

Quote:
both horizontal and vertical, that are visible in both the finder and back LCD when turned on
I can't get along without the levels........

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Well the latest from 43rumors is reports of tests of the new OM
"I got two short feedbacks from trusted sources who were able to test the new OMD. There are two things to report:
1) AF has been reported to be very fast, reliable and accurate with Four Thirds lenses. It’s on the same level as “native” MFT lenses. This is possible because of the new on sensor PDAF
2) IQ, DR and noise is only slightly better than current OMD sensor. (Thanks to new processor and some other “tweaks”).
One more thing: The camera will ship worldwide from end November!"
Statement #1 seems to me to be the most important. If it is on the same level as native 4/3 with fast accurate focusing, then a lot of folks will be very glad to hear that.
They're both pretty darn big. Yes, conquering the AF problem is huge, and slightly better IQ, DR and noise performance compared to the E-M5 may be an "only" for an E-M5 user, but it will be a cosmic leap in quality for anyone using any Olympus DSLR right now.

Imagine being able to lift shadows almost any amount you want with virtually no noise penalty. For anyone used to working in Adobe Camera raw, it's nothing for me to set both the shadows and blacks sliders to 65 or 75 to raise shadow levels. That's a huge number for anyone who does not use Adobe Camera Raw. I never bother with bracketing exposures. I just get the exposure as close as possible using the live histogram to minimize clipped highlights, let the shadows fall wherever they fall, then adjust both extremes in post processing. I've never worked with raw files as mallable as those produced by the E-M5.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:55 AM   #39

....just now looked at these again and SEE! the person standing in the background (center of photo).

Probably never would see that from my cameras unless PP 'fill' light slider were upped to the point the image would be useless.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #40

So, I can't help but ask from a business standpoint: are those 2 points really enough? For the dynamic range crowd, you have full frame offerings around $2,000 from competition that will still trump the sony 4/3 sensor. You're hoping to get back to focus performance Oly used to be at. Which is not the level of prosumer Canon/Nikon DSLRs have. And any 4/3 sony sensor still isn't going to perform as well as a larger aps-c sony sensor (with exception of jpeg processing ala what Canon seems to be doing with 70d - same raw output but better jpeg processing) So, I get that existing 4/3 owners will be happy. But at that price point, they're still behind the competition IMO. Such a camera would have to be around $800-900 to really grow some business from people not already invested in 4/3.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote