Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:50 PM   #1

Default Is an Ft or M43 worth paying 1500 euro's ?

The latest rumour on the high end OMD is that its going to be priced at 1500 euros = 1500USD or higher .. and I'd say 1500GBP as well and for body only.

Now if that is the price of either the E7 or the next OMD-E that would make it 300-400 more expensive than most of the APS-C cam's out there and approaching 6D or D600 FF. Can Oly really pitch a cam be it an E7 or high end OMD at that price range anymore and esp if its an MFT cam and one that may or may not focus FT fast enough?

Prices from Amazon US

Pentax K5 + kit lens: $1,101.85
Canon 7D (body only) : $1499.00
Nikon D7100: $1,196.95
Panasonic GX7: $999.00
Fuji X1PRo: $1,199.00
Canon 6D:$1,999.00
Nikon D600: $1,996.95

Cheers
Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:29 PM   #2

Well, not sure of the accuracy of those rumors, but it is about what I expected, based on the introduction history of Olympus top high-end cameras.

On the current Oly web site here in the USA the body only E-P5 is now $999.99. And if this coming new camera meets expectations, it will certainly be worth 500 bucks more than the non-weather sealed little E-P5. (And there is a 3 weeks back-order on the Olympus-America website for the E-P5 because of high sales volume.)

I think we should wait and see what Oly does offer in late September. Oly has always had a history of innovation, and I think that will probably show in the new system.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:14 PM   #3

Its a lot of gold to be sure,
but the only other way around is to go to another system, and flog the Oly stuff, that in itself wont prove a profitable venture either I expect.
For me that isnt easy as I have backups for the backups etc on almost everything I need to use.

There is a window in which to decide though, where 43rds lens prices wont fall off a cliff,
might even recover a little from where they are now.
But ideally if I was getting out I probably should have done so before today.

Where to go, well thats another story.
If the stuff turns out to be inferior in some ways would I have burned money for no net benefit.
.. but then Im in a bit of an oddball bracket...

As to value well, it would operate two lens systems and that could bring some net benefits
especially when you take the totality of what you have and the expanse the systems then cover
throw in speedboosters, primes and what have you
it might indeed be 'one beautiful system' at one less than beautiful price

The other thing is, when OMD was pre-release a leak nominated that at $1,300,
then on the day it turned out to be $1,000. I just wonder are they setting the same scenario up again.

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
The other thing is, when OMD was pre-release a leak nominated that at $1,300,
then on the day it turned out to be $1,000. I just wonder are they setting the same scenario up again.
You are right, I remember that.

I've never been an earlier adapter anyway. When new model come out, I always looked at how much the prices drop on the model it replaces. I've saved some money that way over the years.

Last edited by Steven R; Aug 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:13 PM   #5

The E5 is still priced at $1,549 at B&H, so $1,500 USD sounds just about right to me...

It will be interesting to see how they solved the dual lens system mount.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The E5 is still priced at $1,549 at B&H, so $1,500 USD sounds just about right to me...

It will be interesting to see how they solved the dual lens system mount.
Lots of new conflicting rumors coming out now. One website now says no hybrid mounting, just a standard mount mFT camera that comes with a separate adapter for 43 lens and the camera will be called the E-M1.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:43 PM   #7

That makes sense. Trying to shoe-horn some sort of extending/collapsible mount would seem to me to just be asking for trouble, not to mention keeping the correct distance for each mount as accurate as possible for focusing.

I've read the E-M5 will remain the line as the model below, with a replacement next year.....not that I have ANY complaints about the E-M5 as it sits right now . I would imagine the big, new finder like in the VF-4 and refined features like the ability to set the focus box permanently smaller are the type advances the E-M5 replacement will get.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:21 PM   #8

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how they solved the dual lens system mount
m43 rumor has it this way ==> http://tinyurl.com/kug9gpk

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:24 PM   #9

....well, my E-3 cost me that when I bought it at AC and my next new camera, whatever it is, will likely be my last so I will maybe buy this one, but after I see some user reports.

In the mean time Bonnie is REMODELING THE MAIN BATHROOM, the more she spends the more likely I am to buy the camera, right now Bonnie is about 7-cameras in the lead.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That makes sense. Trying to shoe-horn some sort of extending/collapsible mount would seem to me to just be asking for trouble, not to mention keeping the correct distance for each mount as accurate as possible for focusing.
I dont have any faith in extending/collapsing mounts either.
I still like a two sided adapter and flanged coupling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell
I've read the E-M5 will remain the line as the model below, with a replacement next year.....not that I have ANY complaints about the E-M5 as it sits right now . I would imagine the big, new finder like in the VF-4 and refined features like the ability to set the focus box permanently smaller are the type advances the E-M5 replacement will get.
which as someone seems to be pointing out seems too small to me. But whatever lets suppose this is right. It IS a logical path, even if its cheaping out.

I think ultimately the MMF adapters due to cheap press metal construction are neither strong enough, or accurate enough for the biggest of SHG lenses.
One of mine was out by 1mm on one side, which made images weak on one side.

If it were constructed around a thick metal tube and plastic centre as almost all adapters are,
different story as it would be dimensionally consistent all the time and could have the mount ends screwed into it.
One would think that was possible for circa $160.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote