Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:54 AM   #11

no it is articulated Harj, you can see the gap around it
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:56 AM   #12

Harj, while I didn't see the video, I remember seeing a still shot that showed an articulating LCD. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm thinking that it will.

The VF 4 has been receiving some great comments from the early users who put it on the new EM5
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:02 PM   #13

About all one can do right now, is read what they are saying about the VF4, which you can see at the bottom of this page..

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-pen-ep5/4

Pretty darn good from what I see.

Instead of taking your eye away from the finder to view an LCD on the top of the body, just think about being able to view all that data in the eyelevel finder while framing the subject. I'll take that ability any day.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
About all one can do right now, is read what they are saying about the VF4, which you can see at the bottom of this page..

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-pen-ep5/4

Pretty darn good from what I see.

Instead of taking your eye away from the finder to view an LCD on the top of the body, just think about being able to view all that data in the eyelevel finder while framing the subject. I'll take that ability any day.
theyre pretty good, no doubt this is an improvement on my GH2
I like how you can chimp a frame via playback and get back to the real view right away by half pressing the release, all without taking your eye out of the VF.

Sometimes I find myself looking at the playback thinking its reality

Then theres proper framing for the format you are in
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:34 PM   #15

back up for a bit
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52005019
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:38 PM   #16

Greg

Took a look at the VF4 over at DPR.. like the size of the VF.. thats going to be really helpful. Now what's it like in real life... the lags supposed to be slow but it's going to be interesting to see what the real world usage tests are like.

I found it interesting that at no time in the vid does he even attempt to show what the focusing is like with the SHG or how balanced the camera is in hand with that lens.

I wonder if its using the same battery as the OMDE or is it more like the BML-1 ? I'd bet that you are definitely going to need to use the battery grip to move the amount glass in FT lenses as quickly and accurately as possible.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Greg

Took a look at the VF4 over at DPR.. like the size of the VF.. thats going to be really helpful. Now what's it like in real life... the lags supposed to be slow but it's going to be interesting to see what the real world usage tests are like.
I think its closely matched to shutter speed.

Mine isnt anything special, but I dont see much in lag or anything like that. But I remember an experience taking star shots, where I was down to ISO800 and shutter at 15 seconds.
It was very difficult to focus as the lag was actually 15 seconds long, and when I realised the trick to getting back to faster shutter speeds, it was too dark to focus (MF).
Its like adjust, wait 15 secs, adjust, wait 15 secs, frustrating!

E5 has the same experience in liveview, set for a long shutter duration and the thing is very difficult to work with because its so streaky.
Therefore I think lag and shutter speed are very closely related

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT
I found it interesting that at no time in the vid does he even attempt to show what the focusing is like with the SHG or how balanced the camera is in hand with that lens.
we will find out in time,its just incomplete, but promising
for now, let me tell you my GH2 with 7-14 Zuiko is quite slow, but it is faster than say E3 contrast detect. The PL 25/1.4 m43rds ver is brilliantly quick though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT
I wonder if its using the same battery as the OMDE or is it more like the BML-1 ? I'd bet that you are definitely going to need to use the battery grip to move the amount glass in FT lenses as quickly and accurately as possible.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:03 PM   #18

I have to say I'm rather impressed with it. I don't think it'll be a game changer or anything but I doubt that was really their aim. Seems more geared toward making something current users will want, not getting new ones into the brand. But the wi-fi system allowing for control with a tablet could have great use in field macro work. Or even wildlife photos depending on the range. Would be cool to just set the camera up focused on a flower in the bright sun while you sit in the shade waiting for the bees to come by. If I had any 4/3rds glass this camera would tempt me.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:07 PM   #19

I can see that anyone with FT lenses is going to need to get the BG.. I can;t see being able to use the 35-100f2 on that body without them and esp if you want CAF. Now if thats the case.. whats that going to do to the price of the whole thing ? Will we be looking at 1700+ for the body + BG ?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:07 PM   #20

One thing nice for users who have already purchased the MMF-3, you don't need some other new, expensive adapter to get the improved four-thirds AF performance on the E-M1. The technology is all in the body.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote