Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I can see that anyone with FT lenses is going to need to get the BG.. I can;t see being able to use the 35-100f2 on that body without them and esp if you want CAF. Now if thats the case.. whats that going to do to the price of the whole thing ? Will we be looking at 1700+ for the body + BG ?
Oh, I'd guess more. That is probably not a $200 grip. Maybe I'm wrong, but remember what the E1 grip cost? Maybe (hopefully) it'll be closer to what the E5 grip cost. The E1 was originally $1,800, so there is hope...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:09 PM   #22

Some one over at the m43 forum at DPR posted screen shots in this thread...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3534366
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:15 PM   #23

Greg.. Yeah I remember the E1 grip was around $500 so I was lying to myslef and everyone else with the $200 price point. If this new cam is going to cost $2000 so that it can actually be used with FT lenses then thats crazy and thats on the basis that they thrown in the adapter for free. If its not, then your looking at $2200 for body + BG + adapter... knowing OLy they'll charge you $60 for the box.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Greg.. Yeah I remember the E1 grip was around $500 so I was lying to myslef and everyone else with the $200 price point. If this new cam is going to cost $2000 so that it can actually be used with FT lenses then thats crazy and thats on the basis that they thrown in the adapter for free. If its not, then your looking at $2200 for body + BG + adapter... knowing OLy they'll charge you $60 for the box.
I would imagine they're pricing this with an estimated sales number way, way fewer than any full frame Nikon or Canon DSLR. Maybe it'll sell like hotcakes, which'd be great, but it's got to be priced initially as a niche item. The potential user base has to be limited.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:51 PM   #25

While Engadget took down the video, I found it on another site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXgS95cgUwQ
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:03 PM   #26

The OMD-E's grips are going for $250.00 and looking at that vid again, the new grip looks as if its much more substantial and better made, much like the E1's. So I'd guess where looking at 300 minimum for the BG...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:55 AM   #27

Quote:
The technology is all in the body
While I have only a few 'nice' FT lenses like my 14-54, 50-200, 9-18 & 70-300 it is the tech-enhancements that would persuade me to the E-M1 over the E-M5 from my E-P3 and VF-2.

As for the cost of the EM-1 body at maybe $1500; I paid that for my E-P3, VF-2 and MMF-2 just to use my FT lenses a couple yrs ago with an m43 camera format.

I've grown accustomed to waiting on the AF but end-quality of images with the FT lenses on my P3 satisfy me to the point that I am believing I will want the M1; first for its AF with FT lenses, then for all the other technology and for ergonomic usage, feel and appearance.

If I had a full bag of m43 lenses & an M5 I probably would not be so enticed to the M1 but for my situation and usage it is c'mon inventory, get it here so I can go to our local camera store to try it and buy it.

After all I will still have my E-P3 and E-3 to fall back on if I might not like the M1 and leave it on the shelf. Things like that have happened in my past, it would not be a first time.... think motorcycle racing and cylinders, heads, pipes, carburetors, handlebars etc.

For bagging it all I use Think Tank Retrospective 5 & 7 bags mostly so those will still work the way I now use them with my FT lenses.

Dang! I'm about there, the local master bath is underway, the marble, travertine, wall-texture & paint, mirrors are selected, still need lighting but that is all adding up to keep Bonnie very happy.

I am next......... (lol), too bad Walmart has done away with the 'greeter' work position or I could have an M1 system paid for by November, but then mowing yards is an option too (NOT).

I am enjoying the remarks made regarding the new camera rumors. It seems like forever that we've seen the super fun but informing threads such as the these discussions in the Steve's forums.

While I don't have much to offer I do read every word and I thank y'all for expressing your thoughts here.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote