Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:47 AM   #1

Default EM1 video leaked

http://www.engadget.com/video/5min/517895409/
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:24 AM   #2

Looks pretty darn nice to me. Damn, that's a huge viewfinder.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:28 AM   #3

bigger than some FF VF's
wonder which ones ..

I still dont like the idea of MMF adapters
though it seemed comfortable with a 14-35/2 on it
  • DSLR-like design, similar to the E-M5 but with a larger grip that will contain an additional control dial on top
  • Micro Four Thirds mount
  • 16MP sensor
  • 81 AF points
  • 3" tiltable LCD screen
  • Electronic viewfinder with 2,300,000 pixels
  • Max shutter: 1/8000
  • 10 fps
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:36 AM   #4

If it had been designed for the four-thirds lenses without the adapter I am pretty sure it would have turned out bigger anyway, and from a reliability standpoint, the separate adapter was probably better than some sort of retractable device. That 14-35 f2 certainly looked natural enough on it. For those using only four-thirds lenses, it'll just become a permanent part of the body.

The rounded corners and some of the dials harken, to me, back to the E1. Wonderfully comfortable to hold and shoot. Damn, I just might want one....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:27 AM   #5

Riley

Thanks for posting the vid and glad to see what they came up with.

First thoughts were its a OMD-e with a grip shoe horned and glued onto it. Not sure about that as it looks more like an after thought (oohh we missed out the grip) and thus not as free flowing as an E1/E3/E5 and kind of makes it look ungainly.

The camera looks really small even with the grip and I' wondering how much space there's going to be when using the larger lenses. Is it still too small ? Its only at 2:18 do you get to see that only with the battery grip are you going to be able to hold the camera comfortably with FT lenses. I wish they had shoved the lens mount way to the left like the E1, that way even at that size using the larger lenses and esp anyone with big hands wouldn't be a problem.

The battery grip looks as if they've merged the E1 and E3's grips and i'd say thats for the better as its going to feel way more comfortable to use. When you see the 14-35F2 on that body and also at 1:25, he can barely get 2 fingers onto the grip. Thats going to make the battery grip as a must have for FT lenses.- it looks as if the grip is going to be essential with the larger HG and SHG glass. Now I wonder how much Oly will charge for that ?

The adapter - I don't like it but if its built to the same quality of the HG and SHG lenses and is supplied free with the camera then it will have to do. Is it just a "dumb" adapter or do you think there's more to it ?

What stood out to me was the statement on the AF performance with FT lenses at 2.06:

"The AF is nearly as fast on Four Thirds as it is on M43.. "

So what does he mean by that . ? Does that mean the AF is slower then the E5 or more accurate in CAF etc etc ? I hope they have really tested the AF and make sure its accurate and fast and not just flippin fast.

Built in WIfi ..will be handy in studio but then I never shoot tethered anyway.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6

"The AF is nearly as fast on Four Thirds as it is on M43.. "

I tried to warn people about this but may have been to subtle (me, imagine that)

theyve put a lot into m43rds lenses and some really are very quick. Indeed OMDs reaction time was as quick as some SLRs according to IR (they time them).
So if they were swapping lenses they may indeed find that m43rds lenses were a bit quicker, but that isnt the question we need to ask

which is, are 43rds lenses as fast on it as they are on an SLR

still an open question, but the marketing guy who is paid by Olympus to tell us stuff says 43rds users will be very satisfied

and then, we still need someone to check out CAF hit rate
thats where the real gold is

first thing it reminded me of was a 510

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Too late, the video had been removed when I went to the website. But I did find some still screenshots posted on a couple of other websites. I like the looks with the integrated built-in grip, and the size with the additional battery holder attached looked okay in the still photos. I would have like to see the video, maybe someone else will post it soon.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:36 AM   #8

I thought that would happen

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:41 AM   #9

It was a cool video Steven. Glad I grabbed a view.

I've already said, many times myself in the micro forum at DPReview, there are micro lenses that autofocus faster on the E-M5 than the SWD lenses autofocus on the E5. The DSLR users just have to realize the AF system in the Micro bodies is better than the current Olympus DSLR system, even with the lenses using the SWD motors. If the four-thirds lenses work as well on the E-M1 as they do on the E5, they probably will be slower to AF than the micro lenses.

The micro lenses with the MSC AF system focus almost instantly and some of the models, like the 17mm f1.8 and 12mm f2, you press the shutter release and they are bang on, in focus within a nano-second and I do not recall one misfocus, ever. Even a lens like the 14-150 M. Zuiko. I'd be willing to bet it focuses faster on my E-M5 than the 12-60 I was using on the E5.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:49 AM   #10

Just noticed that they'res no top LCD.. damn thats a real pain as I use that a lot. I'd have liked that they had kept the top LCd even if itw as just the E1's size.

There's def some E1 elements in that design .. the hump for starters and the two shutter and aperture dails look as if theyre taken straight off an E1.

Whats with the non articulating LCD ? Now thats another step backwards.

We've also lost the built in flash .. whats with that .. its damn handy when needed.

Now is this an EVF or the same as that VF-4 and if its the VF4 .. how good is it ?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote