Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

Steve, thanks for linking the overlay. Not sure if its me but the grip on the EM1 doesn't look as deep as I thought it would and thus makes me think that handholding the bigger lenses even that 12-35F2 is not going to be as comfortable without the BG as it is with the E1/E3/5/30. Thats one part of the E_x where the design is pure ergonomic perfection and Oly left it right alone when they released the E3.
Aha! Thanks for posting that - it makes what Greg said very clear. My right hand most probably would hit those VG controls as Greg said.

I haven't said much in this discussion because I've wanted to see what the new body + grip looked like, especially with my SHG glass. Now that I see it I'm disappointed. That camera is too small for me, and the grip doesn't appear to add much grip area without issues. We'll see what Oly releases, but I may be keeping the E5 for a long time.

Ted
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The display Steven posted above answers a point I made myself a few months ago when I picked up the accessory two-part grip for the E-M5.

Fabulous accessory with all the buttons and control dials you'd want, just like the E5 grip. Only one problem, the bottom part of my right palm constantly hit the back control dial of the vertical grip when I was holding the camera in landscape orientation, changing camera settings I did not want changed, so the only practical way the E-M5 grip "worked" for me (and my small hands) was to turn off the controls on the grip while I was using the camera in landscape mode, and it's kind of a pain having to remember to turn them on when switching between landscape and vertical shooting. As a result I rarely use the grip today.

The new grip for the E-M1 is significantly re-designed and one will only know by trying it if there are similar issues due to the shortened height of the set compared to the larger DSLR setup, but if you've got an E5 and grip, take a look above at how much higher the release buttons are with the E-M1. You can probably judge looking at what you've got and imagining the release being that much higher if it'll be a problem for you or not. It was with the E-M5 grip for me, and my hands are small.
Greg, thanks for your observations. The image Harj posted makes the problem you describe, very clear. That won't work for my large hands - I have an E-500 where my right thumb naturally hits the WB button. I've only kept that camera because of that wonderful Kodak sensor...
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:47 PM   #13

A grip really doesn't interest me. When I bought my E3 I got 5 batteries with it and they are all Oly batteries. I've never been on a shoot where I went through more than two batteries.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:50 PM   #14

I actually thought the new cam was going to be a fair bit bigger than what we actually see today. Somewhere around the E5XX size and then with the BG for extra battery power for shooting sports. I don't know which group of FT shooters was Oly talking to or did they simply listen to the existing m43 users and base their design decisions on there feedback ? From these initial pics, your going to need the BG esp if you have big hands and even then I think its still going to feel small.

Now does anyone know if theyre using the same battery as the OMD-E and if so does it have enough power for the larger FT lenses ?

I've had a wee play with the OMD-E a few months back and from my initial thoughts from those short 5-10mins was that its nice but to small to comfortably use it. Now that was an initial observation it may just be with the grip that could change so we'll have to wait and see.

I'm hoping that mag's roadmap page turns up to be true and we see an E7 being smaller then the E3/5/1 and a tad bigger than the 5XX series cams. I think it can be done .. might be a little cramped but with an option of a BG would easily be useable with the HG/SHG's.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:51 PM   #15

I'm more likely at this point to stick with my E-M5 and pick up this new 12-40mm f2.8. The main "hole" in my system right now is a really good quality normal zoom. That one'll do it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
A grip really doesn't interest me. When I bought my E3 I got 5 batteries with it and they are all Oly batteries. I've never been on a shoot where I went through more than two batteries.
James, the discussion about the grip here isn't so much an issue of battery power. It's about making that little camera body big enough to be able to hold it with the larger Oly 4/3 lenses. In that situation we might not even put batteries in it.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:55 PM   #17

There has been some updated photos leaked of the M1. These are supposedly the final design and the earlier photos may have been a pre-production body. Anyway, it seems to look more refined and the new 12-40 lens is also pictured.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:16 AM   #18

yep, thats a Ex finish on on it with rubber and metal treatment
similar card door too
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:27 AM   #19

Salivating as I check that lens out.

Warming up the credit card now...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:04 AM   #20

Hey Steve

Nice find.. have to say it looks good with that new lens (which looks to be the same size as the pana 12-35F2.8 but much better in build quality). Definitely looks to have the EX finish on it.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote