Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:13 AM   #41

just tacking this on the end
interesting forum, follow poster 'kh'

http://translate.google.com.au/trans...6channel%3Drcs
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:15 AM   #42

I guess I don't understand what all the hoopla is about Oly possibly getting out of the four thirds market. Why, Canon and Nikon have no intention of doing that and probably never even considered it. Lets face it, some folks just like larger bodies (not including women), I'm one of them.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I guess I don't understand what all the hoopla is about Oly possibly getting out of the four thirds market. Why, Canon and Nikon have no intention of doing that and probably never even considered it. Lets face it, some folks just like larger bodies (not including women), I'm one of them.
C&N have to stay with convention for a number of reasons. Not least, theyre set up for high volume stuff, which already works for them very well.
As proof of this theyve both made token efforts, the Nikon 1 is quite a bit under the best APSC SLRs, and Canons thing (cant even remember what it is) performs rather poorly.

So what does that mean, they wont undercut APSC SLR sales, which despite the FF whoohah is their bread and butter, and where they compete most, and based on price.
These are cameras at 80k units a month, nobody in C&N wants to upset that, it would be stupid.

However all of them are also pushing toward smaller, in response to m43rds, really the axis of mirrorless,
and where Olympus is the major producer.

So close are they following in an attempt to steal m43rds sales, Canons 'thing' has a sensor (not APSC) very close to 43rds size.

Absurdly this is ideal for Oly at this time, it makes them a niche marketer, and here niche producers can do more and more outrageous things,
and charge quite high prices for gear which is actually costing less.
Where very cheap SLRs at the lowest are high $450+, mirrorless as we see by Sony 3000 and G5 can be mid-high $350+

ideal conditions

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I see "the rumors" site now says..

I also got a feedback from one of my sources. He confirmed that focus with FT lenses is as fast as with “native” MFT lenses.

If true, the MSC-driven Micro Zuikos (which is all of them today) are as fast or faster focusing than SWD Zuikos on an E5, so AF isn't going to be an issue and may actually be an improvement since AF is calculated off the sensor vs. the way it has to be done in a DSLR.

As fast as it would be on an E5 seems like nothing more than treading water if you are a 4/3 user. After all, many members have left to other brands because the focus on Oly wasn't good and/or fast enough for their needs.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:05 PM   #45

When it comes to SWD motors or the MSC system, Olympus SINGLE AF is pretty darn good compared to just about anyone. It's continuous AF/tracking fast moving subjects where they lag, big-time, and if one needs that, Nikon or Canon is where its at and where any user really needing it should be.

The main complaint for users of four-thirds lenses and micro four-thirds bodies has been how ineptly slow the AF is when using four-thirds glass on micro bodies, which it has been. It's why I dumped most of my four-thirds glass long ago. That appears to no longer be the case.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:01 AM   #46

One of the websites has reported that a tester who is using the 4/3 50mm macro claims that the 50mm focuses faster on the M1 than on his E-5.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote