Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:53 AM   #11

Riley

thanks for that link.. There's something seriously wrong with that comparison. How can the E510 be that small ? The size of the dials and the width of the lens is totally wrong ... personally it looks as if the guy deliberately went out to make the EM-1 look bigger than its going to be. H'e smoking some really good stuff to have knocked that one up..

The OMD-e is smaller than the E620 and thats clearly shown in the attached pic from camera size. At most the EM1 may be about the size of the E620 (width due to the new grip but not the height is the same as the OMDE) and I doubt its anywhere near the size of the 510. I've also attached the top comparison just to prove that he's deliberately made EM-1 look bigger than it really is.
Attached Images

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Riley

thanks for that link.. There's something seriously wrong with that comparison. How can the E510 be that small ? The size of the dials and the width of the lens is totally wrong ... personally it looks as if the guy deliberately went out to make the EM-1 look bigger than its going to be. H'e smoking some really good stuff to have knocked that one up..
it occurred to me it was out of whack somehow too, I dont think it deliberate, possibly the evil weed though . Look at the mounts too, the m43rds mount actually looks bigger than the 43rds mount!

Its a pity the diameter of a 12-40 cant be accessed, it would be easy from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT
The OMD-e is smaller than the E620 and thats clearly shown in the attached pic from camera size. At most the EM1 may be about the size of the E620 (width due to the new grip but not the height is the same as the OMDE) and I doubt its anywhere near the size of the 510.
a 620 is only 130mm across, its possible
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:39 AM   #13

A member on another forum posted a size comparison of the EM5 and the M1.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:41 AM   #14

Ok.. I just knocked this up from camera size and that guys shot of the top of the EM1. So from the bottom OMD E- EM1 and E620 top. All pics except the EM1 from camerasize.com.

So what we possibly have is a camera slightly wider than the E620 due to the grip and better button placement than the OMD-5. Its definitely not larger than a 510.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
A member on another forum posted a size comparison of the EM5 and the M1.

thats not right either
a 12-50 is 57x83mm, the patent says 12-40 is longer
min 131mm

also looking at the top decks, Id bet the l/h side are very similar, or in other words just the same size
in this M1 is smaller,

maybe thats the secret, make both l/h sides the same, and everything else falls into place

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM. Reason: additions
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:49 AM   #16

....why the offset strap? I've seen this on other cmeras but have no idea why that design, if it is design as opposed to, "ooops, there should be two connectors, where to put the one forgotten?"

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Ok.. I just knocked this up from camera size and that guys shot of the top of the EM1. So from the bottom OMD E- EM1 and E620 top. All pics except the EM1 from camerasize.com.

So what we possibly have is a camera slightly wider than the E620 due to the grip and better button placement than the OMD-5. Its definitely not larger than a 510.
just a tad wider than 620
a bit tiny to tell accurately but that looks about right
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....why the offset strap? I've seen this on other cmeras but have no idea why that design, if it is design as opposed to, "ooops, there should be two connectors, where to put the one forgotten?"
so the camera with a lens balances
the CG moves aft, so it allows for heavier lenses than M5 is designed for

Leicas R8 did the same, but they offset just one side
in some ways that would have been better if it where the shutter release side
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:21 AM   #19

Riley

Hows this.. hopefully it's a better size to actually see whether its an accurate representation of the size of the new cam.

Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:28 AM   #20

no, I think EM1 looks too big as the l/h side is too deep
actually the rear screen, or what we can see of the top of it seems wider too