Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:34 AM   #51

guys no
he's simply wrong
no more SLRs, no E7
http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...aded#post95449
another guy at another site
also known to have Olympus affiliations also says no E7
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:03 AM   #52

and directly for you Harj
Body 1299
12-50 kit 1499.99
12-40 kit 1949.99
HLD-7 grip 199? (not confirmed) source http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...ad.php?t=12778

also, AF results such as they are

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/7
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:20 AM   #53

Yes, I agree that the E-7 is actually the new M1, no matter what they told Ming Thein. But I definitely trust Thein's experience with the focusing much more than anything that is ever written by those bigoted editors over at DPReview. When has DPReview ever written anything right about any Olympus camera without their hidden bias creeping it?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:28 AM   #54

well, lets say I prefer not to comment on DPR

but I am happy to let an experienced pro one can have some confidence in do it for me.

Douglas Brown:"I too have used it hands on and the E-M1 is as fast as an E5, or so close to as fast as an E5 that the difference isn't worth talking about.
DPR are out to lunch with that 'live view' comment. The E-M1 is much, much better than any live view DSLR I've ever used. Far better than any Olympus camera you may have used in live view. There just isn't any comparison.
"

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52138754

those words put my kettle back on the boil...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:30 AM   #55

I thought this was interesting:

"....PDAF with Micro Four Thirds lenses in Continuous AF (C-AF) mode, should mean much more stable C-AF focusing when targeting fast moving subjects like birds in flight (BIF).
Olympus says its PDAF system has benefits over rival systems. For a start the PDAF mode does not rely on Contrast Detection AF (CDAF) to complete the focusing action as some 'hybrid' systems do, which can compromise focusing speed. Olympus also says that its stepped positioning of detection pixels improves focusing precision. Concerns that many hundreds of pixels dedicated to focusing duties may cause image quality problems is unfounded, says Olympus.
Another benefit of on-sensor PDAF compared to a more conventional DSLR PDAF arrangement is that there is no degradation of focusing precision when using particularly wide aperture lenses, which should be good news for f/2.0 and f/1.4 lens users.
As with the E-30 and E-5, as well as the E-620 DSLRs, PDAF focus points can be individually fine adjusted. The process has been much improved now that the focus points are on the sensor, so you get to see a magnified live view of the area covered by the focus point while you dynamically fine adjust that focus point. This works for both Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses and, as you would expect, adjustment data is saved specifically by individual lens, not just lens model.

There are some caveats. No PDAF points on the E-M1 are 'cross' type. All 11 points on the E-5 were cross type. The E-M1 points are aligned to work with vertical line details rather than horizontal. For nature photography, for example, this shouldn't pose any problems but where you want to focus on subjects consisting of mainly horizontal lines, you may have to rotate the camera in order to focus successfully. On-sensor cross type sensors will come once the technology has been refined."
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:07 AM   #56

New Olympus Roadmap: per 4/3 Rumors site this is the new Oly roadmap:

Image courtesy: ePhotozine.
-
"This is the new lens roadmap from Olympus. There will be three more PRO lenses in 2014. The 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens (pictures below), a wide angle zoom (rumored to be a a 7-14mm f/2.8) and a telephoto lens (rumored to be a 300mm f/4.0)."
Also, a couple of sites has reported that the E-5 and 4/3 lens will remain in production until demand stops. I would guess that the E-5 would end soon, but the 4/3 lens should see increased demand from the M1 users, at least until the new PRO lens line-up gets more choices.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:09 AM   #57

whats the point of it when the very lenses they talk about arent on it
thats not a roadmap
itsa rearview mirror!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:20 AM   #58

heres another via Jon Stock

http://youtu.be/Ie89vKx6OjI

M1 with 12-60 SWD
dpr, you suck
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:55 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
heres another via Jon Stock

http://youtu.be/Ie89vKx6OjI

M1 with 12-60 SWD
dpr, you suck
You are being too kind to DPR. They not only suck, but I learned a long time ago that they are totally biased liars and intellectually dishonest when it comes to writing and testing Olympus equipment.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:58 PM   #60

theres some suspicion developing over the studio shot too