Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:03 PM   #61

Right now I trust DPR more than some of the fanboy reviewers. I don;t trust anything coming out of Oly HQ re AF performance with FT lenses. I'd much rather have an AF that is able to track accurate and reliably than one that is just super fast - remember our worlds fastest AF on the E3 ??

I think we have to sit back and wait for the reviews to come in - Imaging Resources, Steve's, DPR, Luminous Landscapes to name a few. Personally, I'd like to see John at Boifos given an EM1 to review with the full set of FT lenses and then see what he has to say about performance.

Battery life isn't gong to be good esp with the bigger glass... that wee little battery isn't going to have enough juice to drive the LCD, EVF and an SHG/HG lens for long.

I can't believe that they are not bundling the adapter for free with all EM1's if this is the E5 replacement, so if your in the UK your possibly looking at 1700.00 for camera to simply use your FT lenses with.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:07 PM   #62

Jon Stock posted a 12-60 youtube video thread at dpr, and there are a number of others out there too.
not bad for 'liveview'

Thats the way forward me thinks
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:37 PM   #63

And harj: per the Olympus website, one of the options for purchasers is to receive the adapter for free.
Purchasers have until December 31 to receive a full rebate for either the adapter or the wireless flash.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor..._Accessory.pdf

Last edited by Steven R; Sep 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:41 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
Douglas Brown:"I too have used it hands on and the E-M1 is as fast as an E5, or so close to as fast as an E5 that the difference isn't worth talking about.
DPR are out to lunch with that 'live view' comment. The E-M1 is much, much better than any live view DSLR I've ever used. Far better than any Olympus camera you may have used in live view. There just isn't any comparison.
"

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52138754

Thanks for that. Doug Brown, a working Oly pro, I do trust. (As I would trust your review.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post

those words put my kettle back on the boil...
Why? I must be missing something. Are you planning to use your SHG glass on the E-M1? According to Doug the AF for that isn't better. The m.Z PRO glass will be a stop slower than the SHG glass. Is the E-M1 ISO two stops faster than the E-5? What's making your kettle boil?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:30 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Why? I must be missing something. Are you planning to use your SHG glass on the E-M1? According to Doug the AF for that isn't better. The m.Z PRO glass will be a stop slower than the SHG glass. Is the E-M1 ISO two stops faster than the E-5? What's making your kettle boil?
quite probably,
thing is I need that UWA
and its not like I can move around to another system all that easy.
Check it out some day, find a comparable 4x3, UWA, great jpegs (processing speed).
Forgive any 1, but all 3?

Most UWA are awful, and dont come in till f/8.
My 14mm EFL that works well at wider apertures, f/4.5 for us, thats f/5-5.6 on APS, f/9 on FF.
Each part stop a lens needs ot go higher for an acceptable quality is ISO Im giving away.

And AF well, if it really where like liveview AF, and I suspect now that it isnt anything like that, that would be a nightmare with a 7-14/4.
The beauty of my job is the in-store conditions are going to be quite close to my working reality.

Will there be another m43rds UWA lens? well fine but it aint here right now,
and Im a bit loathed to give up the Zuiko as well as the SLR.

Its not like I haven't looked, had a look at Sony wides yesterday, some 11 to something zoom,
my god the corners arent not great, theyre terrible....
Pentax dont make anything UWA, either Sigma UWA needs f/8 to get it together,
in fact nobody in APS seems that convinced about their UWA, they all seem to shoot f/8. I do check out other RE shooters

The only logical alternate path if FF, out of them probably 6D as I have Canon FF anyway,
but again wides are an issue. Which leaves Nikon and the 14-24.

Bottom Line
Seriously if Im that well fixed with Olympus that the best alternative is a Nikon FF and a $1,700 lens,
arent I kinda crazy to want to move?

Last edited by Rriley; Sep 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:15 PM   #66

I trust Doug's comments and hands on review of what the cam's is like so I'm not making any rushed judgement regards the new cam.

DPR, have followed up with some more test of the AF with FT lenses and basically that the E-5's AF isn't as good as they thought it was and that the EM1's is about the same or worse:

"Having gone back and spent some more time with an Olympus E-5, I'm inclined to be more positive about the E-M1's behaviour with Four Thirds lenses - not because it's better than I originally stated, but because the E-5 isn't as good as I'd previously thought. Consequently, E-5 users expectations are probably lower than I originally believed. It's also easy to under-appreciate the camera's performance with Four Thirds lenses because it's so fast when using Micro Four Thirds lenses.

However, side-by-side use suggests that, while the E-M1 focuses at a similar speed to the E-5 in good light, it is more prone to occasionally slowing down and juddering the lens into focus than the E-5. This behaviour is particularly apparent when switching focus from distant to near objects or when shooting in moderate-to-good lighting levels (inside a well-lit office with large windows)."
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:18 PM   #67

Ming Thein has two parts of a three part review of the EM1 already. He's a long time m4/3 user (as well as other pro compacts), professional photographer, and talks quite a bit about the ergonomics & handling.

Part 1

Part 2

The third part (not out yet) will review the 12-40 2.8 lens.

He rates the 4/3 lenses highly IRT focus speed, though he does mention the increased battery drain when using 4/3 lenses. With the larger lenses, the battery grip would be useful for balancing as well as battery life.
joelmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:38 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I trust Doug's comments and hands on review of what the cam's is like so I'm not making any rushed judgement regards the new cam.

DPR, have followed up with some more test of the AF with FT lenses and basically that the E-5's AF isn't as good as they thought it was and that the EM1's is about the same or worse:

"Having gone back and spent some more time with an Olympus E-5, I'm inclined to be more positive about the E-M1's behaviour with Four Thirds lenses - not because it's better than I originally stated, but because the E-5 isn't as good as I'd previously thought. Consequently, E-5 users expectations are probably lower than I originally believed. It's also easy to under-appreciate the camera's performance with Four Thirds lenses because it's so fast when using Micro Four Thirds lenses.

However, side-by-side use suggests that, while the E-M1 focuses at a similar speed to the E-5 in good light, it is more prone to occasionally slowing down and juddering the lens into focus than the E-5. This behaviour is particularly apparent when switching focus from distant to near objects or when shooting in moderate-to-good lighting levels (inside a well-lit office with large windows)."
gezus what a copout
it wasnt that in the face of every other report on the planet 'they got it wrong'
it was that 'E5 was worse than even they predicted' !

if there was a talent quest for lack of talent

GOLD AWARD 85%

Last edited by Rriley; Sep 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:03 AM   #69

A lot of people do not realize that DPR is 100% owned by Amazon.com for the past 6 years. They bought it completely, and let in stay in London for a while, then moved it to Washington state about 3 years ago. Amazon makes most of it's camera sales revenue from CaNikon, and the DPR is there to keep that cash cow revenue flowing. Don't ever think that DPR has any kind of journalistic independence or honesty, and they continue to prove that over the years.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:51 AM   #70

Default What could have been: -an actual shot of the E-7

FYI: -4/3 Rumors has currently posted this on its website

First picture of the Olympus E-7 Four Thirds camera!

"The German Blog Pen-And-Tell (Click here) posted the picture of the Olympus E-7. The image has been shown at an official Olympus presentation. As I told you before the E-7 has been developed along the E-m1 but then Olympus decided to not launch it anymore. The reason is that Olympus finds the E-m1 good enough for the use of Four Thirds lenses too."