Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:58 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
A lot of people do not realize that DPR is 100% owned by Amazon.com for the past 6 years. They bought it completely, and let in stay in London for a while, then moved it to Washington state about 3 years ago. Amazon makes most of it's camera sales revenue from CaNikon, and the DPR is there to keep that cash cow revenue flowing. Don't ever think that DPR has any kind of journalistic independence or honesty, and they continue to prove that over the years.
I don't follow the logic here. Amazon is a retailer, they make money off of ANY sale. How does it matter if it's a Canikon or an Oly? Of course they make most of their camera revenue from Canikon, what retailer doesn't?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:39 AM   #72

first and last probably
so close, yet so far

full series
http://pixinfo.com/cikkek/olympus_om-d_e-m1_ex.3
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
quite probably,
thing is I need that UWA
and its not like I can move around to another system all that easy.
Check it out some day, find a comparable 4x3, UWA, great jpegs (processing speed).
Forgive any 1, but all 3?

Most UWA are awful, and dont come in till f/8.
My 14mm EFL that works well at wider apertures, f/4.5 for us, thats f/5-5.6 on APS, f/9 on FF.
Each part stop a lens needs ot go higher for an acceptable quality is ISO Im giving away.

And AF well, if it really where like liveview AF, and I suspect now that it isnt anything like that, that would be a nightmare with a 7-14/4.
The beauty of my job is the in-store conditions are going to be quite close to my working reality.

Will there be another m43rds UWA lens? well fine but it aint here right now,
and Im a bit loathed to give up the Zuiko as well as the SLR.

Its not like I haven't looked, had a look at Sony wides yesterday, some 11 to something zoom,
my god the corners arent not great, theyre terrible....
Pentax dont make anything UWA, either Sigma UWA needs f/8 to get it together,
in fact nobody in APS seems that convinced about their UWA, they all seem to shoot f/8. I do check out other RE shooters

The only logical alternate path if FF, out of them probably 6D as I have Canon FF anyway,
but again wides are an issue. Which leaves Nikon and the 14-24.

Bottom Line
Seriously if Im that well fixed with Olympus that the best alternative is a Nikon FF and a $1,700 lens,
arent I kinda crazy to want to move?
How do you define UWA? Penatx offer a 14mm, 15mm, 10-17mm and 12-24mm. I shoot mostly super teles so I know knowing about the quality or if they even qualify as UWA.

John
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:24 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
How do you define UWA? Penatx offer a 14mm, 15mm, 10-17mm and 12-24mm. I shoot mostly super teles so I know knowing about the quality or if they even qualify as UWA.

John
so 14mm x 1.5 is 21mm EFL, its wide but not sure it justifies UWA
considering Im running 14mm EFL now

10-17 is a fisheye, what is needed is low distortion
12-24 is in 2 models, neither are really great lenses, but at least they make UWA at 18mm, just. It was never a great lens though and CA city outdoors

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/133-p...report?start=1

For better or worse, since the industry is setup for 4x3 frames it means you have to trim a little off that 18mm to get a 4x3 frame.

Its a pity as Pentax seem to have improved AF with K5II, and despite very good primes, some pretty sad zooms, especially compared to Zuiko's.

Wong posted this ZD 7-14 shot hand held at ISO 200 1.6 sec, and at f/9. Far below the ZD best aperture
its a tough act to follow, which is why Im kinda stuck

Robin Wong's blog
http://robinwong.blogspot.com.au/201...roduction.html

Last edited by Rriley; Sep 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:01 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
its a tough act to follow, which is why I'm kinda stuck
I hear you - me too. A photo from any of the three 7-100mm SHGs just pops. I use a number of excellent lenses including the (vastly under-appreciated) Leica Vario-Elmar 14-150mm, but I can be flipping, er, page-downing through a bunch of my photos and I can tell you immediately which ones were made with the SHGs. Maybe the new micro 12-40 PRO is as good but pending Oly releasing the 7-100 range in top-shelf micro glass, any camera I buy next will have to be usable with those 3 big, heavy lenses. Dunno if the EM1 will do that, size-wise.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:30 PM   #76

Gidday Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
A lot of people do not realize that DPR is 100% owned by Amazon.com for the past 6 years. They bought it completely, and let in stay in London for a while, then moved it to Washington state about 3 years ago. Amazon makes most of it's camera sales revenue from CaNikon, and the DPR is there to keep that cash cow revenue flowing. Don't ever think that DPR has any kind of journalistic independence or honesty, and they continue to prove that over the years.
Spot on, mate.

One of my lawyer mates said the following after reading a large number of DPR reviews of Olympus gear:
"Why are DPR so biased against Olympus? They qualify every good thing they say about Olympus with the proviso ', but ... ' either explicitly or implicitly."

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:32 PM   #77

Ted, you said,

Quote:
"Dunno if the EM1 will do that, size-wise."
I'm telling ya ....yeah, 'twill, count on it & pre-order today. (lol)

I am counting on the M1 to use my few FT, not SHG but good stuff lenses and thinking of pre-ordering if a grip is included FREE for doing so.

If no FREE grip then I am waiting to LOOK, FEEL & TRY but I've pretty well made my minds decision to have a M1.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:27 PM   #78

[QUOTE=Rriley;1357476]so 14mm x 1.5 is 21mm EFL, its wide but not sure it justifies UWA
considering Im running 14mm EFL now

10-17 is a fisheye, what is needed is low distortion
12-24 is in 2 models, neither are really great lenses, but at least they make UWA at 18mm, just. It was never a great lens though and CA city outdoors

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/133-p...report?start=1

For better or worse, since the industry is setup for 4x3 frames it means you have to trim a little off that 18mm to get a 4x3 frame.

Its a pity as Pentax seem to have improved AF with K5II, and despite very good primes, some pretty sad zooms, especially compared to Zuiko's.

/QUOTE]

Agreed about the Pentax zooms. Don't know why they can't make better ones since they make some pretty nice primes.

John