Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:12 PM   #11

Im looking at lenses individually
my wides are better than m43rds wides, having 7-14, 9-18 and 11-22 is a bit of a glut though,
so the 11-22 will go and the others will stay

In a succession of mid range zooms already 12-60 was faster on E5 than 14-54, so that exchange was made there speed,
but now it seems 12-40 will be faster still so that might be a m43rds lens I might look for.

I no longer have a 50-200 to worry about, I just never used the thing, but pretty much in the long end 43rds is going to dominate the kits of users as alternatives are few.

On the other hand theres a bag of primes there 43rds never had access to, where among them 25/1.4, 45/1.8, and 75/1.8 all seem fairly good and I have the former pair.
Theyre not slow but could use a little boost in AF I think M1 will give them.

There are others too, the Sigma's, the ultra fast 0.95 primes, tools we didnt have access to before.
Really theres so much more going on one has to rationalise their kit to suit.

Of course there will be winners and losers, but largely its more optimistic and a brighter future than it was

Last edited by Rriley; Sep 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:59 AM   #12

For me, it is all about how the camera feels in my hands, I hold my E-3 and feel "this is what a camera should feel like", I fully appreciate that a more modern camera will take better quality shots, but for me I am more than happy with my results, this is a very simplistic view I know but for the casual hobbyist that I am, it is important.

This E-3 is way better than my talents and technical know how and I think it will be a camera that I will use for a long time even now, along with probable upgrades to 12-60 & 50-200 lens, this will give me years of fun and very acceptable results and at my level and age (58) this is what it is all about.

My original post was really all about what the OM-D EM1 has produced in terms of great 4/3 gear being much more so available on the net for sale, at least here in Australia I am seeing this, which is great for me, there has been a lot of movement with E Series DSLR's and lens.

EM-1 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150 f/4-5.6, 50-200mm SWD, MMF-3, EC-20
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Of course there will be winners and losers, but largely its more optimistic and a brighter future than it was
I think so too and plan to take some advantage of it.

I have used my E-P3 with FT lenses, particularly the 9-18 & 70-300 for a couple years and for my photography the M1 should make them totally satisfactory where in the past I've only wanted better AF, the (images) IQ has always been good IMO.

I've only a couple basic m43 lenses (no primes) but with the M1 going forward I may add some smaller pieces.

I do still use my E-3 but only for certain reasons when I want the 50-200.

The near future for Olympus and overall m43 systems does look bright to me.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:00 PM   #14

I agree Bob and I do not think there will ever be an E-7. Looks like Oly pretty much has the market for M43 and I believe they will continue to focus on that. I better take good care of my E-3.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:45 PM   #15

I acquired my e30 this summer, so I won't be making any upgrades for a while. By then, there'll be a whole new product line to dream about. Or, I'll pick up the M1 for cheap!

Last edited by seanmcgriff; Sep 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM. Reason: spelink, wat els?
seanmcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:04 PM   #16

I've still got the E1 as a possible back up to the E3 and its possible that I'll look to get a good E5 at some stage. Not sure on the EM1 .. might have to wait till an EM2 before it would be worth getting.. still cant believe the adapter is not a standard part of the EM1 kit.

I'm definitely planning on having a good play with the EM1 and 35-100f2 and let you know what I think when it shows up in a store near by.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:30 AM   #17

To carry on with the upside of the OM-D EM1 being released is that I was able to acquire a E-5 with 11,000 clicks for $700AUD plus a 50-200 & 12-60 so I am now set, this setup will more than be enough for me for quite some time I think.

Plus of course I could always go to an EM-1 in the future with these lens, but I do not think that will be anytime soon, am more than happy with results with current kit and why wouldn't I be.

Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:53 AM   #18

Hey Lee

Cracking price on the E5.. !!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:08 AM   #19

Yes Harj

Indeed, it was a cracking price, that was the whole point of my initial post, with the release of the EM-1, Olympus users have made a clear and definite choice, or indeed a couple of choices, switch to another maker eg Canon or Nikon, thus they sell their complete kits, or they have decided to sell their Olympus DSLR and use their great Olympus 4/3 lens on the EM-1, thus they sell their E-3's, E-30's & E-5's.

The E-5 was selling for approx $1100AUD second hand here until very recently and furthermore you never saw one for sale anyway, plus there has been quite a large increase of quality Olympus lens available lately also.

This of course freed up the funds for my very extravagant SWD 50-200 buy at $750AUD

After a very brief use of the newly acquired E-5, I could not see myself even being remotely interested in the EM-1, the size, weight and feel of it suits me perfectly, plus I have a backup of the mighty E-3.

Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:49 AM   #20

Excellent price on that E-5 Leeston. It should serve you well. I have no plans to replace my E-3, it has more capabilities than what have learned about it so far.

I know that many may be concerned about the smaller size of the M1. A long time ago, (showing my age now LOL,) I used my 35mm film OM-2 body with big old-fashioned telephoto lens for many years, and loved the way it handled. The OM-2 was much smaller than the Nikon and Canon bodies of the day, yet I considered the smaller size an advantage, not a hindrance. It looks to me that the new M1 is similar in size to my old OM-2; and my old OM-2 handled very well with the big heavy telephotos attached. So I think those of you who get the M1 will adapt to its size as easily as I adapted to the smaller body of the OM-2 many years ago.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote