Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
There definitely should be some option for a four-thirds Zuiko user to elect to receive a free adapter during an initial period of time as a courtesy to those users (didn't they offer free OM adapters when the E-1 first came out?), but there will be more buyers of the E-M1 who own no four-thirds lenses and may never need the MMF-3, so just including it in the box as a default accessory would probably be a much bigger expenses than they need to pay.
Yes, it would have been more convenient to include the MMF-3 in the box, but realistically, the majority of buyers will not already own 4/3 lens, and they would think it was unnecessary. The full rebate from Olympus for the MMF-3, or the wireless flash, continues here in the U.S until December 2.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:38 PM   #12

Hey Steve

Personally, I think the adapter should be in the box as standard. If the EM1 was simply another M43 cam that could use the FT lenses and we still were going to get an E-7 then it would be fine for it to be an optional extra. Thats not the case and Oly are aiming the EM1 directly at all us remaining FT shooters and not just newcomers. Unfortunately, the rebates in the UK have gone as they were just till 1st Oct 2013. so an EM1 right now here with the adapter and BG is £1700.00 = D600 +85mm F1.8, or a K5Mk2 + DA 50-135F2.8 + 33mm F1.8 FA limited or a Fuji X1Pro + 35mm F1.4 + 20mm F1.4 + 400 in change, or better still an E5 off the bay and more change.

I contacted Park Cameras whom I purchased my E3 and 35-100F2 from nearly 5 years ago and basically got told the samething by one of their reps apart from he would need to verify whether they would be able to provide the adapter for testing. So as of today 2 of the largest Oly stockist in the UK simply don't have a test camera in store and even if they did you couldn't test your FT lenses as they don;t have any spare adapters for testing. I could have told him that I'd buy one from the store and then return it for a refund the same day.. I just might have to do that!

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:14 PM   #13

?? Something does not appear to jive with what the camera store is telling you. The official intro date of the M1 is October 14, so how can the rebate for purchase of the adapter end on 1st October??

I went to the Oly UK website, and it looks like they are offering even more to folks who are already E-system owners. Just register as an 4/3 E-system owner and eligibility for the MMF goes to November 30, 2013. It also looks like if you had registered prior to Sept 30 you would also have been eligible for the holder battery grip.
http://www.olympus.co.uk/s/buy-omd/en_gb?olycmp=omdglb
"...The following Terms & Conditions of Registration shall apply to anyone who owns a registered E-System Camera at myOlympus and who is registering (hereinafter referred to as “User”) here for the Olympus “OM-D E-M1 Loyalty Offer” (hereinafter referred to as “Offer”) for the new Olympus E-M1, which is organised by Olympus Europa Holding GmbH, Wendenstraße 14-18, 20097 Hamburg, Germany.

1. Scope

By registering for the Offer, the User shall be eligible to redeem a MMF-3 Adapter free-of-charge (while stocks last), subject to registration and subsequent purchase by 30 November 2013 (hereinafter referred to as “Offer 1”).
If the User registers for the Offer as above already by 30 September 2013 and subsequently purchases the E-M1 by 30 November 2013, the User shall also be eligible to redeem a HLD-7 Battery Grip free-of-charge (while stocks last). (Hereinafter referred to as “Offer 2”).
The MMF-3 Adapter and/or HLD-7 Battery Grip will be distributed on a “first come, first served” basis and sent to the address entered by the User in the registration form. The decisive criterion for distribution is the date of receipt of the copy of the User's invoice at the address stated below.
The User must send the copy of the invoice with the serial number to
Marktdienste Haberbeck GmbH
“Olympus Loyalty Offer”
Industriestrasse 17
DE-32791 Lage
Germany
by 18 December 2013. "
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I still think that the adapter should be standard in the box for the EM1 esp as that is now the E5 replacement.
I agree with you here.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:02 PM   #15

Hey Steve..

Not sure what the sales reps are being told but both stated the samething - that the BG and MF3 adapter offer had expired and you would have to purchase all 3 bits of kit seperately. The offer expiring I'm not too fussed about .. its the stores lack of having any EM1's and the adapters for testing that I'm amazed by. If your looking at spending say £1700.00=$2723.00 USD and can't even test in store before buying because the manufacturer hasn't provided any for the leading resllers for testing, then I'd say thats wrong. Can you imagine CaNikon doing that for a new camera which requires an adapter to work with some of their lenses ?

Thanks for the link on the Oly site - Ive been registered as an E-system user since I picked up the E1 years ago. I'm going to sign up and see what happens although I have no intention of buying an Em1 - now that I've joined the masses of unemployed in the UK or if Im not able to see for myself how well it works with our Zukios. The E3's going to have to do and I'm still not pushing it or I get something cheap and chearful ..

Glad Im not in Spain, Greece or Italy - 20% or more unemployed and if your under 25.. its way higher.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:07 AM   #16

sorry about the job Harj, you going to be ok?
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:03 AM   #17

Riley,

Mate I'll be ok for a few months to take me into Jan but thats not a lot of time so I'm looking for a new job even a temp/contract for now. Even some photography work would be ok. Not a good time of the year to be let go esp with Xmas coming up but fingers crossed I'll be ok and I'm glad I'm not in Spain/Greece or Italy but then again if I was I'd be outshooting pics!

Any plans for a new cam other than something good and cheap like a K5Mk2 are all on hold till I find another post.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:27 PM   #18

Good luck Harj. Hope the job search turns out well. My personal feeling is that you should take the chance to plunge into fashion photography, even while you are looking at other jobs. Best wishes.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:04 PM   #19

Steve, Thx .. the photography is plan B.. and I have plan C as well.. but no Plan D and if it gets to that then .. don't ask.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:33 AM   #20

Also I want to wish you succes with finding a new job soon Hartj.
Maybe a tip check also LinkedIn on jobs!.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote