Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:24 PM   #1

Default Will you be able to test your FT lenses on the EM1 before you buy ?

Just a wee headsup for anyone in the UK that may be looking to test out yur SHG/HG glass with the EM1, you will likely need to provide your own MMF3 adapter. I called Cameraworld in London today to workout when i could test the EM1 with the 35-100F2 and see how well it would work with the lens esp in CAF modes. There's no chance of being able to test any FT lenses according to the sales rep as they do not have any MMF3 adapters in stock or available for testing even when the EM1 shows up late Oct.

Not impressed and to make matters worse the adapter+BG offer is no longer available. You would think that Oly UK/EU would ensure that the stores would at least have 1 or 2 adapters available for testing.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:50 PM   #2

Hi Hartj,

I just wonder if you did think about the size of the 35-100 and size of the EM1?
I just wonder how it feels and looks, also will that lens not crack out of the EM1, it's a heavy lens.

But i'm very currious to see you test results.

Greetings,
Pascal

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:25 PM   #3

Hey Pascal

Cameraworld in London were basically the Olympus store - ususally had all of the FT glass apart from the 300F2.8 and the 90-250F2.8 and every E-system body so I was hoping that they would at least be able to offer the chance of testing an EM1 with some ZD glass. That simply is not going to happen unless I buy or hire the adapter and go to the store - they don't have any in store to user for that kind of thing and basically won't be going out of their way to do so. They were the only store in London that I could think of that would have catered for anyone with a FT Zukio and was looking at the new EM1.

I may just hire the adapter if I can otherwise I'm simply not going to bother with the new cam. I'm going to let the beta testers test the waters and see what the real world results are but I really would have liked to have been able to see how well the 35-100f2 balances and focuses esp CAF.

So right now this means there is no way I can do a test with any of my lenses in London .. simply nuts if you ask me.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:32 PM   #4

Nuts indeed. Knowing that's one of the bigger selling points of this new body, they should have an adapter on hand. Not having one is poor planning. It doesn't even have to be the MMF-3. The MMF-2 I own is the same thing, just no seals. I could send you mine to use, really. Until I pick an an E-M1 I won't be using the four-thirds lenses I still have.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:38 PM   #5

That really sounds awfully weird for a big dealer. Greg is right, it does not have to be the MMF-3 to test it. Perhaps the salesman thought that only the new adapter would work, and didn't realize the older adapter also works. As Greg pointed out, the only difference is weather-sealing.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:34 PM   #6

Hey Greg/Steve

Guys, I was really surpised that they simply were not in a position to have a test adapter to use FT glass with on the EM1. Its crazy .. disappointed is not the word that comes to mind.

I think Oly's not helping either - their entire allocated lot is already pre-sold so they couldnt even guarantee being able to have a test body to use and the rep implied that supply was being resticted. The previous offer of the BG and the adapter as part of the kit has now ended. So its not as if they could have used one of those kits for testing in store. Poor planning indeed .. how many FT shooters are going to turn up with their glass and not be able to use any of it.

Seems like stateside, Oly has got things done right .. the stores have cam and adapters, BG to test with but across the pond in the old country its all gone to pot!

I'm going to see what i can do .. ive got plenty of time and am in no rush.

Cheers

HArj

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:02 PM   #7

That is a bummer Harj. And over here, the full rebate on the adapter purchased with the M1 is running thru December 2, 2013. (It is actually a full rebate on your choice of the adapter, or the FL-300R wireless flash.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:51 AM   #8

I did get a code from Olympus Belgium to get a free battery holder HLD-7 and a free MMF-3.
I geuss I will mail them to ask for a test drive and see what they answer.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:19 AM   #9

I still think that the adapter should be standard in the box for the EM1 esp as that is now the E5 replacement.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:09 PM   #10

There definitely should be some option for a four-thirds Zuiko user to elect to receive a free adapter during an initial period of time as a courtesy to those users (didn't they offer free OM adapters when the E-1 first came out?), but there will be more buyers of the E-M1 who own no four-thirds lenses and may never need the MMF-3, so just including it in the box as a default accessory would probably be a much bigger expenses than they need to pay.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote