Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:42 PM   #11

my M1 arrived today BTW
its the 68th to be delivered in Au

going through the settings umm, various degrees of success
the NR filter is located under Exp/ISO [email protected]#$$

cant say things like that make it easy, what it isnt is as direct a changeover from E3 to E5, which is pretty much all I have experienced in 6 years with Oly
this most annoying thing is this info bubble that comes up over the menu settings!
when I tried to get rid of it I lost most of the menus for awhile!

the EVF is one of the sweetest parts about it
its another planet from GH2

due to work commitments (Im pretty flat out every day),
Ive only had it a few hours of daylight after the battery charged

2 things about AF, just in playing around with it
it pays to find a contrast target to focus on, in which case it is very fast and very positive.
Where people go wrong is in two aspects I think, they want to focus on plain surfaces which is unreliable,
or a feature smaller than the AF box, which means it will always try to back focus on whatever is behind

using m43rds glass (25/1.4, 45/1.8) halfpress focus, then test by using the EVF magnification
and its easy to see its spot on, time after time

the only 43rds lenses I have now are 7-14/4, 9-18, 11-22, and Siggy 18-50/2.8
I hoping I can get my head around this thing enough to shoot it for Sunday where I have a small orchestra gig
the 7-14 was by no means disappointing, but it did miss a few times on single point AF
when i get a bit of time and theres some daylight to work with, I shall have another crack at it on multi point

remembering settings is the task at the moment, there are so many for everything
I had something like a mode 2 IS on for a bit and didnt realise it!

Last edited by Rriley; Oct 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:25 PM   #12

Hey Riley

Well done on the EM1 mate .. and no.68 in the country! Keep us posted on how you get on with the wee beastie .. no rush and take or time. I can see its going to take a week or so before someone really can get to grips with a new body even if its made by the same manufacturer.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:30 PM   #13

thanks Harj, will do
Old Oct 26, 2013, 8:44 AM   #14

A more serious issue that's been reported is "rattlesnaking" of the AF blades esp with the "big tuna" like the 300F2.8 and its not be isolated to one or two users.

"I have not had sufficient time to compare my E5 to my E-M1 in most situations, however, I have found that the 12-60 can 'rattlesnake' in very low light conditions (I use the small center spot focus which would make this more likely). In better lighting, I have not noticed any 'rattlesnaking' with the 12-60 even when it has difficulty achieving focus."

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3566156?page=2
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:19 AM   #15

happens a bit for me too, and this was with PL 25/1.4

I could easily be wrong but I got the impression its more a sign of very sensitive exposure value control.

Very happy with AF on the PL, its quick and responsive, and seemingly never falls over to misfocus wide open.

My worst lens for AF has always been the Siggy 18-50/2.8. It isnt fast on mFT either, but it is always accurate, which makes a pleasant change from E5.
Although sometimes it focusses so quick it catches me out, Im waiting for something to happen when I realise the green rectangle indicates focus achieved.
On the whole AF operations are faster by virtue of being more accurate shot for shot. One can see with ease that a lens is focussed or not even without magnification.

Its nice to have the facility to tweak SAF-MF and have a look at up to 14x.
Quite weird to hand hold while MF to 14x, and see the IS in action holding it steady.
This really is another world.

All throughout the EVF is a seamless beauty without any evidence of dots or pixels.
Im not getting blackouts on the totally addictive frame to frame 10x fps, and the shutter is very quiet and well damped.

Im learning my way through the button shortcuts so that I can remember them in the dark.
Both the buttons and control wheels are very nice tactile devices and well placed.

Its first pro gig is late tomorrow afternoon with a violin trio including Ms Elizabeth Layton.
The GH2 is backup at a silent 40fps, but reduced resolution.

Last edited by Rriley; Oct 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:02 AM   #16

Riley

I think the PL 25 and the 14-54Mk2 are going to work well with most m43 as they were also designed for CDAF but its good to know that they dont seem to have any issues.

There's been some more possible info on whats causing the rattleshake of the FT lenses.. possibly due to the EVF or the sensor whatevers causing it , needs to be fixed asap as thats pretty worrying in my book esp with the spendy FT glass. The last thing you'd want is to find out the new cam's effectively damaged your lenses.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Riley

I think the PL 25 and the 14-54Mk2 are going to work well with most m43 as they were also designed for CDAF but its good to know that they dont seem to have any issues.

well it went fine last night
even simple face detect works very well
those instances were you think you have enough DoF well enough distributed, but dont. When they all faced the right way FD would align them to better distributed focus, very cool.

There's been some more possible info on whats causing the rattleshake of the FT lenses.. possibly due to the EVF or the sensor whatevers causing it , needs to be fixed asap as thats pretty worrying in my book esp with the spendy FT glass. The last thing you'd want is to find out the new cam's effectively damaged your lenses.
I was shooting aperture priority, and didnt experience any

It was a tough shoot, light was poor quality to non existent in the in the hall, and bad WB from those energy saver bulbs in the atrium. I shot jpeg, which most would see as a mistake, but adequately tests it under stress for my purposes.

The shutter is lovely at 10fps, quite quiet
noise is weird, a bit variable, and WB can be a bit of a chase to to get right, its going to be tougher than E5.

The EVF was great, and AF acceptably good against my E5, my GH2, and my 5D in the exact same circumstances.

I even gave the electronic 2x a run, more an experiment than anything else. From the back doorway shooting the 45/1.8 wide open as 2x, very odd

not up to your standards Im sure, but fwiw

M1, 1/50th, ISO 250, - 0.3 e/v, 25/1.4 at f/2,

M1, 1/100, ISO 1600, -0.3 e/v, 45/1.8 at 1.8, Digital 2x
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:59 AM   #18

Quote:
...........but fwiw
I think it is worth a whole lot, being it was 1st time usage, thanks for the post.

Do you also have the battery-grip, it will be a must for me I'm certain.

Greg Chappell, a while back showed some results of the digital-2x from his M5, I was totally surprised with how well that worked and have since tried it on my E-P3 with very reasonable results; though I probably won't use it much.... it is worth a quick snap when it will be quicker than a lens change. Setting a function button to digi-2x makes sense for the first time IMO.

As for WB I do most always use AUTO WB and once in a while need to adjust in PP from RAW, I hope that will continue for me with an M-1.

Yesterday I stopped by our local store (Arlington Camera) and got on the list for buy notification..... they have 11 on order and only 2 or 3 on pre-order including me.

Please keep your critique of the camera work coming.... much appreciated.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I think it is worth a whole lot, being it was 1st time usage, thanks for the post.

Do you also have the battery-grip, it will be a must for me I'm certain.
its offered from Oly under a redemption scheme
either the grip or MMF3, I chose the grip as it seems more useful (and better value)

as long as 12 weeks (max) to deliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan
Greg Chappell, a while back showed some results of the digital-2x from his M5, I was totally surprised with how well that worked and have since tried it on my E-P3 with very reasonable results; though I probably won't use it much.... it is worth a quick snap when it will be quicker than a lens change. Setting a function button to digi-2x makes sense for the first time IMO.
pretty cool option if you get caught short and only have primes
I guess it changes the equivalent aperture too

Quote:
As for WB I do most always use AUTO WB and once in a while need to adjust in PP from RAW, I hope that will continue for me with an M-1.
I usually use AWB too
I did see a setting that was for making AWB less cool in menus
this thing really does get into some complexity

Quote:
Yesterday I stopped by our local store (Arlington Camera) and got on the list for buy notification..... they have 11 on order and only 2 or 3 on pre-order including me.

Please keep your critique of the camera work coming.... much appreciated.