Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Default The E-5 No Longer Available

I received the new B&H catalog the other day and I see the E-5 is no longer listed. It's not shown on the B&H web site either. Sort of tells me that Olympus will concentrate on the M43 system and do away with the E series entirely. Probably the right move for Oly since Canon and Nikon have quite a few models of the APS-C DSLRs and most at affordable prices. If I ever were to make a switch, I think I would go with a Canon or Nikon system as used lenses and bodies are abundantly available and at very decent prices. I wish I would have just kept my Canon 40D and the three lenses I had and not have had to go through the expense of the E-PL2 camera and lenses, then sell and buy the E-3 and two lenses because I'm basically right back where I started from but a couple of thousand less in my wallet. I think the M1 is a great camera but it is probably too small for my hands and the fact that I'm tired of losing money on camera gear.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:01 PM   #2

I have no problem in keeping my E-3, and I'm also very pleased with the Oly glass that I have. And on down the road if my E-3 finally dies, then I can probably find a good used E-5 or M1. To me, the lens are the most important part of a camera system, and I find Oly glass top notch, and less bulky than the equivalent focal length CaNikon.

On any system you expect new models to be released and old models dropped. If you are comfortable with your E-3, then enjoy it while you have it. Picking up a new lens for the E-3 is certainly cheaper than investing in a new system. I'm not sure that the cost/benefit is there for major system changes.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I have no problem in keeping my E-3, and I'm also very pleased with the Oly glass that I have. And on down the road if my E-3 finally dies, then I can probably find a good used E-5 or M1. To me, the lens are the most important part of a camera system, and I find Oly glass top notch, and less bulky than the equivalent focal length CaNikon.

On any system you expect new models to be released and old models dropped. If you are comfortable with your E-3, then enjoy it while you have it. Picking up a new lens for the E-3 is certainly cheaper than investing in a new system. I'm not sure that the cost/benefit is there for major system changes.
Oh, I am quite happy with my E-3, just felt like blabbing a little. Even if the E-5 were available I would not upgrade to it. I don't care about video, scene modes, and some of the other features. It would not be worth the expense. I'd rather spend the money on a nice used 55-200 Oly lens. Your bird pics have really got me going on that lens. I'm not much for taking pictures of flowers but I do like shooting birds and attractions like the tall ships I posted a few weeks back. Like you, if the E-3 goes kapoot, then I will probably by another used E-3 or even an E-5 if the price is right.