Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1

Default Sunlight, shadows and a Snowy

Often some of my biggest challenges in bird photography is the bright white birds and the high contrast situations created by the bright sun and the strong shadows. But that type of situation can also make for some interesting photographs. Yesterday a Snowy Egret was concentrating on getting some food and was ignoring me. I liked the way the bright sunlight on his back merges into the shadows on his face, and think it makes an interesting photograph.

E-3 and 50-200mm. f10, ISO100, 1/320, <-0.3EV>

Last edited by Steven R; Dec 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Oh geez, that is a beautiful shot Steve. You are making me jealous. :-)
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:41 PM   #3

Thank you very much James.
(And of course the major contributor to such a shot was not me, but the E-3 and the 50-200mm lens. )
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:51 PM   #4

I love it, and I too am jealous.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
I love it, and I too am jealous.
Thank you for looking and for your comments. Glad you like the shot.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Thank you very much James.
(And of course the major contributor to such a shot was not me, but the E-3 and the 50-200mm lens. )
More to it than the camera and the lens. :-)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7

....very nice image Steven

Here we have the SNOWY but most are the Great Egrets. While some call the Great Egret the GWH, it is incorrect and we don't see the GWH here natively or at all in the wild actually.

You may see the Great White Heron.... do you have some photos, I've never seen one.

Too, it is so easy to know a great egret from a snowy by the color of the bill in addition to the size of the bird.... but many here call the great egret a 'snowy'.

I photograph a lot of herons and egrets, they are among my favorite subjects.

This is Earl, a wild egret I shot a lot of this past summer, he (I am assuming) is a Great Egret with personality plus.
E-P3 w/FT70-300 @ 300mm

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 1:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
More to it than the camera and the lens. :-)
Thanks, James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....very nice image Steven

You may see the Great White Heron.... do you have some photos, I've never seen one.

I photograph a lot of herons and egrets, they are among my favorite subjects.

This is Earl, a wild egret I shot a lot of this past summer, he (I asm assuming) is a Great Egret with personality plus.
E-P3 w/FT70-300 @ 300mm
Hi Bob: That is a great shot of "Earl". I think he must also visit me in Florida, as I have many similar shots of him. LOL

Egrets of several types are common here in Florida, with the Great Egret and the Snowy Egret being in very large numbers. It is common venacular around here for folks to also call the GE as Great White Egrets. It seems natural as they co-exist with so many Great Blue Herons.

Since the Heron and Egrets are so closely related, it used to be common for some birders to call Great Egrets as "Great White Herons". But today we know that the only true "Great White Heron" is the bird that is actually a white morph of the Great Blue Heron, and it is only found in the Caribbean and South Florida. I have never seen any here in Tampa in the central Florida area, and likewise you should not find them in Texas.

The GWH is large like a Great Egret, but its legs are not black like the GE, instead the legs are a grayish tan. Likewise the beak is not the bright yellow-orange of the GE, but is thicker and a much duller color.

P.S. To Bob: Hope the ice storm in the Dallas area is not impacting you too much. Sounds like a good day to stay inside and have a cup of hot chocolate.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Sounds like a good day to stay inside and have a cup of hot chocolate
The ice storm has passed the DFW area to the east, now just cold. I was just out to attempt knocking off some of the ice from some shrubbery and tree, the ice is very hard frozen so it is best to just leave it as insulation to the next round forecast for tomorrow.

All things scheduled to be open on a Friday are closed throughout the area making up north central Texas including the light rail system (DART) in Dallas for the first time ever. Today it is 26F, Wed it was 85F, tonight 12-15F with Monday forecast to be the first next day above 32F. Oh, we have yet another freezing rain forecast for tomorrow & Sunday.

The cameras here are PARKED on the shelf. Brrrrrrrrrr!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:48 PM   #10

Wow Bob, you and a lot of other folks are getting slammed this week. Hope the power stays on so you can stay warm. Sounds like a good time to catch up on inside chores and routines like updating the computers, etc.

By the way, just to warm you up a little, here is the current forecast for Tampa.

Last edited by Steven R; Jan 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM.