Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:39 PM   #1

Default RM-1 Help Please

I picked up an RM-1 for a song but no instructions with it. Can't find them on the Oly site either but I'm sure they are there some place on the site. I find their site a bit difficult to navigate through.

I turned on the camera (E-3) and pressed the remote button but nothing happens. I looked on the camera menu looking for a remote menu but could not find anything. And yes there is a battery in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by James Emory; Dec 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:26 PM   #2

No problem James. First, the camera must be set to one of the two remote modes, which is either no delay or a 2 second delay. To set the E-3 just hold down the "Mode" button on the top left, then you can cycle thru the options which are single shot, burst shots H, burst shots L, self-timer 0s, self timer 2s, remote 0s, remote 2s. (see page 57 in your manual.) Then see page 58 of the manual for the use of the remote. The receiver window is the little red oval above the "IS" emblem, and page 58 shows the range and angle that is needed for it to work correctly. Then you should be in business!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:22 PM   #3

Also, on the Oly website under E-3 product support there is a FAQ about the RM-1.

http://www.olympuscanada.com/cpg_sec...+5920,+5921#17
How can I take long (BULB) exposures using the optional RM-1 Remote Control?
The procedure is as follows:
  1. Select the M (Manual) shooting mode.
  2. Using the Main Dial, set the shutter speed to BULB.
  3. Aim the RM-1 Remote Control at the Remote Control Receiver and press the [W] button on the RM-1 to open the shutter.
  4. Press the [T] button on the RM-1 to close the shutter.
Notes:
  • For best results, the camera should be set up on a tripod.
  • If eight minutes elapse after the [W] button is pressed, the shutter will close automatically.
  • The shutter will not be released if the subject is not in focus. The photographer should stand behind or to one side of the camera so that the autofocus does not focus on the photographer.
  • Under bright light conditions, the remote control lamp may be difficult to see, making it hard to determine whether or not the picture has been taken.
  • Zoom is not available on the remote control. The RM-1 Remote Control is available from authorized Olympus dealers and online from The Olympus Store. To order the RM-1, click here.
I also found a reference in another section to synchronizethe frequencies. It was for one of the other E-cameras but probably holds true for the E-3.
Note: In cases of frequency interference or when you want to match the control frequency with the camera, aim the RM-1 at the Remote Control window on the camera, and press the CH button and the W or T button at the same time until the Self-Timer/Remote control signal blinks or the camera emits a beep sound.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:08 PM   #4

Thanks guys, appreciate it.