Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
HEy Ken

.............I took a few pics of my nepehew recently with the 14-54 and when i went upto ISO1600 there's some pretty ugly banding happening and it couldn;t be fixed. I was shooting available light and had underexposed the shot by a stop so that didn't help but its the first time, I've since banding in a shot.

PS.
Exams are finished now..3 months of intensive study are over and I successfully passed the last one last week. Now I need a job asap and then hopefully I'll be able to afford some time to to shoot as well.
Congrats on finishing the exams; and good luck on the job hunting. Keep us informed.

I have discovered on my E-3 that at the higher ISO the biggest enemy is underexposure. You will get more noise at 1 stop under than at 1 stop over. That may be why you got noticeable banding on the shot. I also get somewhat less noise at 1600 than at 1250, so I never mess with the in-between speeds. If 800 is not fast enough, I go straight to 1600.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
On my E-3 I have used trial and error and settled on the following strategies. On a bright sunny day with a typical house well lit, of course ISO 100 is the starting point. On darker houses with a lot of dark wood and/or less than adequate interior lighting, I change to Auto ISO. I limit the settings for Auto ISO to a max range of up to 800; (sometimes rarely I have to go up to 1600.) And then after the session, I will have to PP with noise reduction on those shots which have the high ISO.

I had a client that, after I did the normal daytime shoot, wanted some early evening shots where the exterior lighting would show up. I shot those at ISO800 and simply ran them thru noise reduction in PP. The MLS service here has a max of 800x600 resolution for photos posted, so the finished product is not high resolution anyway. I always take high resolution JPEGs, and then I have a PP program that has a batch processing feature, and I can do a quick batch process that creates copies at the 800x600 size. So none of the photos that get delivered to the Real Estate Agent is high resolution anyway, so noise reduction is not a big deal. Here is one of the shots at ISO 800:
the way to do this and get consistent results is really very easy. What you are trying to achieve is to capture the interior, and have a sky around the same exposure, well here are some strategies.

Just on sunset go to a window and get an exposure value with the lights on. It will be around 1 sec to 1/4 sec. Set the camera up on a sturdy tripod and obtain manual focus. You can set ISO bracket for some added insurance.

Instead of guessing or trying to figure out at what point the sky exposure in the declining light equals the interior exposure, take a frame every minute or so from sunset until the sky is unusably dark. That wont be more than 30 mins after sunset. Then you can merge all the frames together in a HDR app.

If the house is not illuminated by outside lights at all, you can use a flash manually, just point it where you need to add light while the shutter is open. You can also add a coloured gel to the flash to punch it up a bit. Car lights car work too, and you dont need to add light light like this for every frame.

So base ISO, 1/4 to 1 sec exposure, remember IS off, aperture for DoF required, I often use f/4.5 on 200 ISO. Just be careful of light flares from street lights or outdoor lighting when composing,and be careful to leave some room around your composition, you can always crop the image later, but it can be hard to add space.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
HEy Ken

Now that looks pretty cool but I can imagine there's even better look homes than that one.. don;t have $500k but definitely should be able to scrape together 5.50

Ken, those new sensors esp for the FF cam's at high ISO are something else and when you throw in the increase in resolution its going to be hard to beat them. I wonder how Riley's getting on with the EM1 and his real estate shooting ?
some mixed results
1. Its a lot more complicated
2. Its a lot more complicated

I def screwed one frame,I was trying to shoot a tennis court at night under lights, and held a tight aperture to get lens starbursts, this meant 5 sec exposures. Not sure why but got a lot of white speckles that werent noise but destroyed the sky.

My 7-14 has gone a little loopy and has refused to focus on E5, and drops the r/h edge on M1 often. Used in MF its fine.

In playback the monitor has crappy colours not at all like reality or the images. I need to research that one.

I think my E5 was doing pretty well, apart from focus issues which may well turn out to be just one lens. But the M1 has so many other tools aboard it is undeniably more useful in so many subtle ways from portability, multi-format, ultra quiet shutter,10fps flutter shutter. All in Im more attracted to the monitor EVF now than OVF,I guess it was inevitable. Its cool to get instant playback for a fraction of a setting without moving your eye, and even cooler to magnify where you need it or 'face detect'.

Its a solid high quality camera, but Im tiring of using adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT
PS.

Exams are finished now..3 months of intensive study are over and I successfully passed the last one last week. Now I need a job asap and then hopefully I'll be able to afford some time to to shoot as well.
Ive been so damn busy i havent been following the social manoeuvres or just plain forgot, but what was it youve been studying?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Congrats on the exams Harj, now good look on finding the job you want.

Riley has a camera for all occasions I think. E1, E3, E5 and a choice of 47 lenses to go with them....Jammy Baaarstid..
that would be business funded E3 (so wrecked nobody would want it anyway), E5, M1, GH2 (hacked), 5D, I'm sure there are others but I just forget right now

If Oly bring out this 6mm - ? UWA I'll be in for that too
In the meantime I occasionally think of the Panny
the truth is, m43rds is just better suited to its own format lenses
sad but true ...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
that would be business funded E3 (so wrecked nobody would want it anyway), E5, M1, GH2 (hacked), 5D, I'm sure there are others but I just forget right now

If Oly bring out this 6mm - ? UWA I'll be in for that too
In the meantime I occasionally think of the Panny
the truth is, m43rds is just better suited to its own format lenses
sad but true ...
Hey Rriley: a lot of guys on other forums really like the Rokinon 7.5mm for Oly and Panny mft cameras. Have you tried one out yet?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:33 PM   #16

Riley,

Glad to hear your thoughts on the EM1 .. I had a wee play with one a few weeks back .. it was very brief so I'm not going to pass comments on it other than I wish it was a wee bit taller and the grip deeper.

Study wise... I just finished the Citrix Enterpise Engineer exam there's possibly two more to do later on but for now I'm done studying computer stuff
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey Rriley: a lot of guys on other forums really like the Rokinon 7.5mm for Oly and Panny mft cameras. Have you tried one out yet?
No I havent, personally Id be interested in an UWA with focus lock but not a fisheye. Although 85/1.4 is tempting and said to be the equal of Canons 135/2
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Riley,

Glad to hear your thoughts on the EM1 .. I had a wee play with one a few weeks back .. it was very brief so I'm not going to pass comments on it other than I wish it was a wee bit taller and the grip deeper.
ergonomically the control placements are quite perfect
you can think where something is, and the finger finds it exactly

but I think you are right about size
I wonder if a body armour kit that kind of sticks to the outside could possibly make it perfect in almost every way

Ive seen people do a double take with the grip on mine
amusing really,
mine only comes off to replace the battery, theres definitely something missing without it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT
Study wise... I just finished the Citrix Enterpise Engineer exam there's possibly two more to do later on but for now I'm done studying computer stuff
oh networking! zzzz

Last edited by Rriley; Jan 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:56 PM   #19

a few to contemplate
this lady came from Middlesbrough

what about a few laps of your indoor pool?
the space is fully air-conditioned and the pool is heated

this house also had its own cinema, and a coke machine in the lobby

the guy that owned this suicided in the shed with even more terrible outcomes to follow
it was the M1 debut into night work, might have owned it several days

the only outdoor light is on that far wall
so the rest was punched up a bit with an FL50r and O gel hand held in the foreground
it helps a lot if you can visualise these things in the beginning

Prius fog lights illuminate the driveway, splash the garage and garden
FL50 the far right lawn

the moon was there,
but I reverted to a single image of it as the full HDR version traces its entire path, not especially useful
spotlight is conveniently behind the tree from this viewpoint

the ride on mower here is a 700hp tractor

5 acres around the house and well arbored driveway, just right for the Bentley ride home

Last edited by Rriley; Jan 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:08 AM   #20

I dunno Riley, Spoilt for choice here, yours or mine.....

Oh, the sun came out yesterday, some people wouldn't step outside, just wasn't sure what it was..

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote