Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:10 PM   #1

Default Wanna buy a house.

I haven't felt inspired to get out with the camera lately but I have been lurking and looking at some really good photos here.

Fighting the elements...Just like Steven..! and making the most of real estate photos. Took these the day after new year for another listing.

Got a spare 500k?
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Jan 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:51 PM   #2

Hey Ken: It is good to see you posting again. I kinda figured that you were in Mexico for the winter.

That is a nice listing that you picked up. Should provide a nice commission. I would think that house will not have any problem selling reasonably fast. Houses on the water always have a special appeal.

By the way, I have a question, and if I've asked it before I don't remember. Do you get a lot of clients wanting "visual tours" posted along with the regular photos? And if so, which software do you recommend for the task??
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey Ken: It is good to see you posting again. I kinda figured that you were in Mexico for the winter.

That is a nice listing that you picked up. Should provide a nice commission. I would think that house will not have any problem selling reasonably fast. Houses on the water always have a special appeal.

By the way, I have a question, and if I've asked it before I don't remember. Do you get a lot of clients wanting "visual tours" posted along with the regular photos? And if so, which software do you recommend for the task??
Had one of the busiest open houses on one of the wettest days. We do have good hopes for this one.

No Mexico this winter....bummer....sob!

Can't help with your question Steve. We've never had occasion to do the visual tour thingie and we don't often see it up here. Don't know why though. If you find the answer I'd like to know, it could work well in the better weather here.

Now one for you. What lens do you use for indoor shots. would a 9-18 work well?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Ken. As for lens, I make do with the 12-60mm. So far it has been adequate on the wide end. I can see where the 9-18 would be useful, but right now I could not justify the cost to add that lens. So far, the 12-60 has served me well. I always carry a lightweight aluminum stepladder and use that, as shooting off of the stepladder helps keep the lens parallel to the room angles to keep the angles straighter in the shots.

Good luck with selling that house. If it got good response on a rainy day it apparently has generated a lot of interest.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Thanks for the info Ken. As for lens, I make do with the 12-60mm. So far it has been adequate on the wide end. I can see where the 9-18 would be useful, but right now I could not justify the cost to add that lens. So far, the 12-60 has served me well. I always carry a lightweight aluminum stepladder and use that, as shooting off of the stepladder helps keep the lens parallel to the room angles to keep the angles straighter in the shots.

Good luck with selling that house. If it got good response on a rainy day it apparently has generated a lot of interest.
Just another quick question. How high can you realistically go with ISO on the E30?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Just another quick question. How high can you realistically go with ISO on the E30?
On my E-3 I have used trial and error and settled on the following strategies. On a bright sunny day with a typical house well lit, of course ISO 100 is the starting point. On darker houses with a lot of dark wood and/or less than adequate interior lighting, I change to Auto ISO. I limit the settings for Auto ISO to a max range of up to 800; (sometimes rarely I have to go up to 1600.) And then after the session, I will have to PP with noise reduction on those shots which have the high ISO.

I had a client that, after I did the normal daytime shoot, wanted some early evening shots where the exterior lighting would show up. I shot those at ISO800 and simply ran them thru noise reduction in PP. The MLS service here has a max of 800x600 resolution for photos posted, so the finished product is not high resolution anyway. I always take high resolution JPEGs, and then I have a PP program that has a batch processing feature, and I can do a quick batch process that creates copies at the 800x600 size. So none of the photos that get delivered to the Real Estate Agent is high resolution anyway, so noise reduction is not a big deal. Here is one of the shots at ISO 800:
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:35 PM   #7

That's is a nice mood shot. Well done.

WE went out to sign up a listing a shoot photos yesterday. A modest 1916, 850sf cottage in an old Victorian town. With the dreary weather and dark paint colours (and a 14-42mm lens) I couldn't get anything I liked. I borrowed Terry's, my photo buddy's D600 and 16-35 lens and shot 'hand held' at f9, 3200 ISO. The on camera flash was so much stronger than my old E500.
The shots actually came out better than real life and I was totally impressed. The owners said they wanted to buy the house..

He's a couple. hardly any PP other than a slight crop off the height for effect. First is the E500 at 2 full stops over, shows how much light I had. The other 2 are the D600 at 16mm. I couldn't hope to get those 2 shots.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Jan 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:47 PM   #8

Yes, your E-500 is at a disadvantage in low light, it is showing it's age it that situation.

The owners obviously spent a lot more money on the interior than they have on the exterior of that house! Higher ISO speed makes it much easier for interior shots. I never have to carry a tripod on my shoots, but I rarely have to shoot at more than 800 or sometimes 1600. Probably because the natural lighting here may be higher than where you live. With your last two shots it shows the advantage of higher speed capabilities. You may consider how relatively inexpensive you could pick up an E-30 or E-3 that would use your current lens and yet improve the output. And consider a 14-54 or a 12-60. Both are much better than the 14-42 kit lens. Keep your E-500 as a back-up body.

I did notice a pronounced color shift in the last two shots between the right side and left side of each. It is most noticeable in shot #3 on the back wall. The color of the right side of the wall changes to a different shade on the left side of the wall. This is likely caused by the flash itself, not the camera.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:56 PM   #9

HEy Ken

Now that looks pretty cool but I can imagine there's even better look homes than that one.. don;t have $500k but definitely should be able to scrape together 5.50

Ken, those new sensors esp for the FF cam's at high ISO are something else and when you throw in the increase in resolution its going to be hard to beat them. I wonder how Riley's getting on with the EM1 and his real estate shooting ?

What I find with the E3 is that your good upto ISO800 - 1250, anything higher its not going to be anything like what the IQ your going to get with a new sensor camera. I took a few pics of my nepehew recently with the 14-54 and when i went upto ISO1600 there's some pretty ugly banding happening and it couldn;t be fixed. I was shooting available light and had underexposed the shot by a stop so that didn't help but its the first time, I've since banding in a shot.

PS.

Exams are finished now..3 months of intensive study are over and I successfully passed the last one last week. Now I need a job asap and then hopefully I'll be able to afford some time to to shoot as well.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:54 AM   #10

Congrats on the exams Harj, now good look on finding the job you want.

Riley has a camera for all occasions I think. E1, E3, E5 and a choice of 47 lenses to go with them....Jammy Baaarstid..