Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:08 PM   #1

Default Just hanging around like so much fruit.

Well they hang in the trees like fruit. Terry and I went out for a drive to an old sea marsh area north of here. All the swans, snow geese and a myriad of ducks had flown in.

And the greeters were in the tree waiting to meet them. Must have been well over a hundred in this area alone.

1-The first gathering tree we found
2-Top of the tree by the slough
3-Then they let me get closer
4-Imature young 'un. Takes about 5 years to get the white trim. Took me about 60.
5-And more hanging fruit.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:00 PM   #2

Wonderful captures and absolutely amazing to see so many hanging around. Usually don't see more than one at a time where I live in Oregon. It rare even where there is good habitat. And to think they were nearly extinct at one time. Thanks for posting.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:06 PM   #3

Wow Ken, I am jealous!! I don't think that I have ever seen more than two eagles at a time, and you come up with a couple of dozen!!!!!!! And you got some really good shots to boot.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments Chi and Steve. Terry and I had a fun few hours out, nice and sunny and about 30 degrees. Cool on the fingers....

Couple more for fun....!!!
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:41 PM   #5

These are fantastic. I have only seen ONE in my 50 years. This is out of this world.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
These are fantastic. I have only seen ONE in my 50 years. This is out of this world.
Amazing animals aren't they Lisa..? Which part of the country do you live that you've only seen one?

While we were taking photos of the loaded trees there were more eagles flying overhead and perched on the pilings along the river.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:19 PM   #7

I'm really jealous. I've never seen one in the wild let alone dozens. Great captures.

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

http://timpharoahphotography.ca/
HavToNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:36 PM   #8

Those are great and yes, an awful lot of eagles in one place at one time. I think I've saw one in my entire life. There is one nesting pair around here but they are well protected by the DNR. What lens did you use to shoot these with?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:02 PM   #9

Thanks HavToNo, sorta surprised you don't see many in Ontario.

Thanks to you too James. That was old fathful. My old 70-300 on the E500.
Lots of light really helped a lot. I was shooting at 320 ISO and still have noise in there.
Most were shot at f5.6 to f6.3. Between 1/1000 and 1/3200. -.7 bias seemed to work well with the white heads and bright sky.

We're going again tomorrow to try some BIF shots. Going to dial back to 200 ISO if I have the light. It'll be like shooting Spitfires.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:36 PM   #10

My understanding is that the 70-300 performs a little better with the E3/E5 bodies. Seems like a nice lens for the price. I think KEH usually has them EX+ for around 225.00. I between a rock and a hard spot, I'd like the lens but then for double that I could get the 50-200 non SWD which is noticeably better in performance and light gathering. One of these days I'll pull the trigger one way or the other. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Thanks HavToNo, sorta surprised you don't see many in Ontario.

Thanks to you too James. That was old fathful. My old 70-300 on the E500.
Lots of light really helped a lot. I was shooting at 320 ISO and still have noise in there.
Most were shot at f5.6 to f6.3. Between 1/1000 and 1/3200. -.7 bias seemed to work well with the white heads and bright sky.

We're going again tomorrow to try some BIF shots. Going to dial back to 200 ISO if I have the light. It'll be like shooting Spitfires.