Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Can you run a Mac without Adobe software?
Yep, I've no Adobe software at this point and I've always used Open Office on my personal computers, even when I worked, in lieu of MSFT Office, but others, I may have to get 'clouded' at some time.

Like I said, I am happy to be retired from the 'stuff'........... I am happy you are still looking after 'stuff'.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:25 PM   #22

Very interesting thread. Some things I've done to protect privacy is quit using google for search. Use DuckDuckGo or StartPage because they don't record your searches. If you're hooked on google search results use StartPage because it sends your search to google the way scroogle did before google sued scroogle out of business. Install AdBlockPro (or one of it's forks) in you browser. Install Ghostery to block about 1500 (yes 1500) different tracking cookies and other privacy threats. Install Better Privacy to delete the LSOs or what are know as Flash or Super Cookies that have no expiration dates.

AdBlockPro, BetterPrivacy and Ghostery all do different things and so play well together installed in your browser. I don't notice a performance hit but can't vouch for older machines.

I loath not owning my apps and will minimize my use of the cloud as best I can. It's hard though when it comes to sharing photos with family and friends. All the stuff we share on Steve's is in the cloud if you get my drift. All we can do is try to remain educated to the threats and don't make it easy for the insurance companies (or anyone else) who would use our information against us. Don't just give it to them.

Couple more things. If Adobe doesn't release a new standalone version of PS I guess CS6 will be my last. It has way more functionality than I ever use anyway. As you might guess, I don't have a facebook account. Sorry, Zuckerberg.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:10 AM   #23

For someone living 7,600 light years away, good advice.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:31 AM   #24

Default A related thought

One thing I do a lot in my spare time is converting audio (magnetic) tapes of teachings, to uncompressed digital audio files for preservation. I do this by playing the tape into a Marantz professional digital recorder, which stores the file on a Compact Flash card. If the teaching is longer than an hour, the WAV file gets close to a Gig in size. When I transfer the file to my desktop for editing, the transfer over a USB-2 card reader takes about 2 minutes.

2 minutes doesn't sound like much but when you do it often enough you end up wanting to speed this up. (Same goes for dumping a bunch of raw images from our cameras.) So I added USB-3 boards to the computers I'm building (you can add USB-3 to a laptop if it has an ExpressCard slot, which itself runs at SATA speeds).

Sooooo, the first time I downloaded a 1 gig WAV file through the USB-3 CF Card reader, it still took 2 minutes. After a couple of headslaps, I realized that the CF cards I'm using for the Mrantz are the slowest ones you can get since their write speeds are still good enough for the data stream in the Marantz recorders. So I grabbed one of the 400X cards i use in the E-5 and recorded a teaching on it. The download speed to the desktop was 5 seconds - at first I thought it was a failed transfer but no, card speed matters.

Long story short, if you want to dramaticall y reduce the time it takes to transfer ORF files to your computer, add a USB-3 board and card reader, and use fast cards (you probably are already doing that part).

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 2, 2014 at 6:33 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:55 PM   #25

You're a smart man, Ted.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:24 AM   #26

Saw you guys talking about getting used to the metro design in Win8.
NO NEED. There should be a desktop icon or you can hit Windows key > D
Then should go to the normal desktop design we all know

Also saw this
Quote:
From the Windows 8.1 desktop, right-click on the taskbar and choose Properties. In the Taskbar and Navigation Properties box that opens, click the Navigation tab. In the options in the “Start screen” area, turn on the check box next to “When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start.”
Just waiting for my laptop to get fixed, but i don't think it was a related problem, as was this was on my Vista OS laptop. Keep blue screening an hour into using PS or using the net on firefox.

I've found tools in vista to show the error reports but no idea what I can do from there, other than see when and where the error accrued :/
Anyone know of any tools or ideas? I reckon its just a over heating issue. Vista wants to use 1gb of ram constantly and 80-90% cpu majority of the time using anything!

Last edited by John Malnoid; Mar 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM. Reason: noticed an error
John Malnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:41 AM   #27

Yep ..with 8.1 you just enable that tick box that john's mentioned and it will take you straight to the normal desktop.

I seriously don't see what the fuss about not having a start menu is .. Mac users have never had one and they manage just fine.

If anyones thinking of updating to 8.1, do a clean install and not upgrade over the top of existing apps etc.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:29 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Yep ..with 8.1 you just enable that tick box that john's mentioned and it will take you straight to the normal desktop.

I seriously don't see what the fuss about not having a start menu is .. Mac users have never had one and they manage just fine.

If anyone is thinking of updating to 8.1, do a clean install and not upgrade over the top of existing apps etc.
I'd just use the upgrade option from Microsoft's Store, as any apps and drivers that work with Win 8 are also compatible with Win 8.1.

It's also very difficult to find a download of 8.1 that you can install from scratch, unless you're willing to buy a new copy of it versus just using the free update to 8.1 from the Microsoft Store for updating an existing copy of Win 8.0

Plus, most machines with Win 8 preinstalled don't have a COA sticker on them with a license key. That's because Microsoft changed the OEM licensing process to use a key stored in a system's BIOS firmware instead. It's totally different compared to Win 7 in the licensing key area.

That's what I did (just got the free 8.1 update from the Microsoft Store) for upgrading from Win 8 to Win 8.1.

I just made sure all updates were installed in Win 8 first (Microsoft Windows updates, Driver Updates, Application Updates, etc.), then used the Windows 8.1 choice from the Microsoft Store to go from Win 8 to 8.1, and that worked fine.

As for the desktop, I'd suggest just installing the free Classic Shell. Get it here:

http://www.classicshell.net/

You can change it settings to go straight to the desktop if desired in either Win 8 or Win 8.1; and it gives you a traditional style start menu back again (the more important part).

IMO, the new style menu screens leave something to be desired for users of desktop applications, and third party menu launchers like the free Classic Shell (or the inexpensive Start8 that you can buy for only $4.99) give users a more traditional style menu launcher back again

Those menu launchers support a hierarchy for the app, subfolders with programs in them, etc.; versus the need to scroll through a bunch of tiles, as some apps may have dozens of executables associated with them for different purposes (language packs, setup utilities, etc.) that have no organization on the new style menu screens (even though you may have subfolders associated with those different utility types when using the Win 7 Start Menu, or when using third party menu launchers like Classic Shell or Start8 with Windows 8.x).

So, if you use something like Classic Shell or Start8, you can click on the folder for a given app under "All Programs", and then see any subfolders it uses for different utilities and programs associated with the application to make it easier to find what you need to run, without scrolling through a page full of similar sounding program names associated with the same application when trying to use the new style Win 8.x menu screens.

You'll see a lot of other Win 8.x users (as well as respected UI designers) commenting about the problems associated with the new style Win 8.x Menu screens in that area, because it's just not designed for applications that would normally use a menu hierarchy with subfolders to separate different utilities associated with the same application.

Personally, I have the free Classic Shell installed. Get it here:

http://www.classicshell.net/

But, many others prefer Start8 instead. Get it here (it's only $4.99, and you can download a trial and test it before you buy it):

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Yes, Windows 8.1 is an improvement over Windows 8.0; as at least you can boot straight to the desktop and have a start menu again.

But, it still uses the new ("Metro") style start menu tiles for finding and using programs.

Perhaps Windows 9 will work better. We'll have to wait and see what changes Microsoft makes to it to find out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Perhaps Windows 9 will work better. We'll have to wait and see what changes Microsoft makes to it to find out.
Microsoft is between a rock and a hard place. Sales of traditional desktop/laptop computers are losing ground to tablets, so Microsoft is trying to create an OS that works in both worlds. I'm not sure they can create an OS that users in both worlds will be happy with. My company does a lot of IT consulting with U.S. federal agencies and they're also seeing a split among their employees, generally related to the age of the employee. This isn't like previous Windows releases where the government and corporations just skipped the troublesome releases (ME, Vista). It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future, but personally I think the tablets will win - time is on their side as we geezers retire. But don't sell your stock in monitor manufacturers - the young folks haven't tried to read a complex spreadsheet on a 5" screen with deteriorating eyesight...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:44 PM   #30
Administrator

Yea... and I don't see myself holding my arm out trying to reach across a desk to swipe on a larger display. :-)

Sure, you can use the new style menu system, apps, etc. with a mouse (or a multi-touch touchpad if you want to use some of the multi-touch features) so that you're not reaching across a desk to get to a larger touch display.

Or, you could use a mouse and still work with the new style apps.

But, from my perspective, the design just isn't as efficient as we already had with Win 7 and earlier Windows releases for use with a desktop and larger display.

As the old saying goes, it looks like Windows 8 is trying to be a "jack of all trades and a master at none", by trying to design a user interface that works with both touch screen tablets and desktops with larger displays.

Some users like the new interface (but not me, and I try to avoid seeing any of the new style screens or using any of the new style apps, which is one reason I have the free Class Shell installed in Win 8.1).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote