Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:08 PM   #1

Default Photo Editing software recovery

Hi, all

One of the main reasons I haven't been posting for a while has to do with Micro$soft's announcement that WinXP security updates won't be supported after this April. So I was building a pair of Win7 computers (one laptop, one desktop) to replace my 2 XP machines.

Well dunno how long you've been using your XP computers but I've been using my XP desktop box for many years. Building a new one with all the software I had on it took a loooong time. THEN, when I was almost finished, the computer gave me the dreaded BSOD, repeatedly. My trusted repair guys couldn't fix it, just reformat and reload the OS. I was so bummed out I didn't even touch it for 2 months.

So I've started over. This required that I reload major expensive software like PShop CS6 and DxO, so I had to ask them to free the respective Keys so I could re-install them.

The reason I'm posting this is that it was very straightforward, not what I expected. If you plead and grovel and tell them what happened, everyone was very helpful. Even the big companies like Adobe have a heart.

Another point I'd like to make is that the big boys are moving away from offering a system to purchase and over to SaaS (software as a service where you pay a monthly fee). PhotoShop CS6 is the last version you'll be able to purchase and the word on the street is that Office 2013 is the last one from Microsoft.

I work in the corporate business world and often work from home so I do need M$office and sometimes PShop at home. If you're in that situation you should consider getting those apps while you can. If you don't need PShop I'd recommend you look at the Corel graphic apps, which I would have bought if I didn't need the big name apps.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:16 PM   #2

Wow Ted, that is quite a story. Sorry for the hardware problems, glad you are are the road to recovery.

P.S. I never figured you for an XP dinosour; figured you would already be on Win7. I made the switch to Vista and Win7 years ago and never regretted it, they were so much better than XP, not only in stability, but in photo storage and viewing, etc. I currently run my old laptop on Vista, (which I like) and two other machines on Win7.

(But I guess that I am in danger of becoming a dinosaur, as I have no plans to go to Win8.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:59 PM   #3

Some day not too far down the road everyone will be paying sales tax on anything we buy on the internet too. It's been a nice, mostly sales tax-free ride for several years, but that's coming to an end. It has to. It's cost too many, way too much money.

I updated my Vista machine to Windows 7 about a year or so ago and I'm constantly kicking myself for not doing it earlier.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:38 AM   #4

Ted..

Its a serious way of milking the customer . if you need the app and its now in the cloud then they have you hook line and sinker. At least you can download and install the entire CS2 for free. For me thats more than good enough for what I do PP wise .. the rest is in LR and that I'm hoping continues to be a non Cloud based app.

If your still looking at a new desktop.. check out CyberPower (Greg recommended them a few years ago to me) and they can build you a cracking desktop. I've still got mine from them, a Corei7 although I've updated a few components since - a new PSU, more ram 32GB, SSDs, a better GFX card but if you spec it right and they let you spec the components your going to end up with a rock solid machine that will last you for years. Also at a price you simply cannot build yourself and the only machines Dell, IBM,HP will have to match are their high end workstations.

OS wise.. go to Win8 and then update to Win8.1 before installing any apps. Forget the Windows 8 metro UI .. the old desktop is rock solid and you don;t need a start menu as long as you think of working the machine like a mac - pin everything to the task bar nice and simple. Performance wise, 8.1 is faster than Win7 - improved filesystem, better memory management and a whole bunch of other improvements over Win7 and just as stable. You just need to get used to the fact theres no start menu, which for me wasn't a biggie as I was Mac user for many years.

HArj

Last edited by HarjTT; Feb 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Wow Ted, that is quite a story. Sorry for the hardware problems, glad you are are the road to recovery.

P.S. I never figured you for an XP dinosour; figured you would already be on Win7. I made the switch to Vista and Win7 years ago and never regretted it, they were so much better than XP, not only in stability, but in photo storage and viewing, etc. I currently run my old laptop on Vista, (which I like) and two other machines on Win7.

(But I guess that I am in danger of becoming a dinosaur, as I have no plans to go to Win8.)
Steven, I said pretty much the same thing when Win 98 came out. I was very reluctant to leave Win 3.11 Haha.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
You just need to get used to the fact theres no start menu, which for me wasn't a biggie as I was Mac user for many years.

HArj
ummm
no i freakin dont lol
they can jam their os!
then i dont sit there staring at the screen wondering what to do next !
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:43 AM   #7

Quote:
I never figured you for an XP dinosour; figured you would already be on Win7.
I'm a senior manager in an IT company and we have to stay ahead of our customers so at work I've been on Win7 since it came out.

What it taught me was that I could spend a lot of money on a new computer, Win7, and upgraded apps and then the things I normally do with my computers at home wouldn't happen any faster or more efficiently, they would just look prettier. Well, graphic rendering would have been faster but I don't do much of that. I wasn't worried about security - I know how to lock my computers down beter than most folks do.

Y'know what will make a big difference for me? When all of my peripheral storage drives (thumb drives, flash card readers, and external hard drive enclosures) are USB3. THAT's a good reason for me to switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I updated my Vista machine to Windows 7 about a year or so ago and I'm constantly kicking myself for not doing it earlier.
I can understand switching from Vista. Our biggest customer is the federal govenment and one thing they do right, is not switching to the next Microsoft OS unless there's a good reason. (Large companies do this too.) So the feds skipped ME and Vista. Microsoft tried to pressure them but that didn't work out too well. One of the main reasons the feds went to Windows 7 was the better security. I'm pretty sure the feds will skip Windows 8. I would have said definitely skip 8, but 8.1 fixes some of the most annoying issues. Across the federal government it can be expensive to switch the OS, one of the main costs being lost productivity (no snide remarks here ) while people get trained and come up to speed. What makes me think the feds might well go to 8 is that Tablets are getting popular. Apparently everyone has great eyesight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
If your still looking at a new desktop.. check out CyberPower (Greg recommended them a few years ago to me) and they can build you a cracking desktop. I've still got mine from them, a Corei7 although I've updated a few components since - a new PSU, more ram 32GB, SSDs, a better GFX card but if you spec it right and they let you spec the components your going to end up with a rock solid machine that will last you for years. Also at a price you simply cannot build yourself and the only machines Dell, IBM,HP will have to match are their high end workstations.

OS wise.. go to Win8 and then update to Win8.1 before installing any apps. Forget the Windows 8 metro UI .. the old desktop is rock solid and you don;t need a start menu as long as you think of working the machine like a mac - pin everything to the task bar nice and simple. Performance wise, 8.1 is faster than Win7 - improved filesystem, better memory management and a whole bunch of other improvements over Win7 and just as stable. You just need to get used to the fact theres no start menu, which for me wasn't a biggie as I was Mac user for many years.

HArj
Good suggestions - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
ummm
no i freakin dont lol
they can jam their os!
then i dont sit there staring at the screen wondering what to do next !
I hear ya!

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:28 AM   #8

.............and I am happy I retired 7-yrs ago.

I instantly (within 30-days) dumped all my MSFT machines, bought an iMAC, a miniMAC & iPAD; I haven't put up with Windows OS/apps since nor have I built any machines.

How lucky I am, once I never needed VPN again for work I never looked back.

Now what to do about CLOUD apps.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 2, 2014 at 5:56 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:01 AM   #9

I've played with Win 8 at a friends and I do not like that at all, expecially the way the desktop is set up.
Quote:

Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Now what to do about CLOUD apps.
Can you run a Mac without Adobe software? If not, I think you're SOL on avoiding cloud apps.

Speaking of the Cloud, I do a lot of cyber-security work. I can tell you that the PRC's model of war is half military and half cyber attacks to take down utilities and financial institutions to render us powerless. Trend Micro is a company that creates security software for networks and networked computers (versus our residential computers) and has a "research' arm like most cyber-security software companies (like Norton) to try to stay ahead of the hackers. They recently set up a "honeypot" (a fake company on the Internet to attract hackers like honey attracts insects). It was a realistic electric utility operating and control system, complete with cyber protection. The first cyber attack occurred within 18 minutes of when they made it "operational" and came from the Pacific Rim region.

So you want me to get my apps from the cloud and even worse, store my information there? Are you effing kidding? Frankly I think anyone who uses Gmail or Yahoo mail or any email system storing your messages in the cloud, will eventually regret it. And I'm not talking about NSA being able to read it - that's probably not preventable. I'm talking about something as simple as health insurance companies checking the risk level of your lifestyle as you (or your children and grandchildren) portray it on Facebook or Twitter (think about Steven or Ken here ) and adjusting your policy rates accordingly. That may not necessarily be a bad idea - they do it for smokers - but things can get pretty fuzzy when you go beyond a simple yes-or-no I smoke or not consideration.

OK - End of Rant. I just want my friends here to see what I'm seeing.

Ted