Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:51 AM   #11

Just Brilliant...!!!

Let me know when the book is out.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Just beautiful, I love this shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Just Brilliant...!!!

Let me know when the book is out.
Thank you for those comments, Marcelo and Ken. I personally also like this shot and was pleased with the way it turned out. The bird was in the dark shadows under some trees, and lots of folks knock the idea of using the camera's on-board flash unit. But I think the little on-board unit on the E-3 performs well in that situation. I like the way the E-3 menu allows the user to dial in the power needed for a shot.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Thank you for those comments, Marcelo and Ken. I personally also like this shot and was pleased with the way it turned out. The bird was in the dark shadows under some trees, and lots of folks knock the idea of using the camera's on-board flash unit. But I think the little on-board unit on the E-3 performs well in that situation. I like the way the E-3 menu allows the user to dial in the power needed for a shot.
Yes! The pop-up flash is great as a fill flash, and I suspect many photographers have been told that they're useless, so they don't try using it. Frankly when I saw this photo I had no idea you used the pop-up flash - the lighting is soft and lacks the harsh shadows you often expect from a flash.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:57 PM   #14

Hey Steve

A really fab shot.. and Ken's right.. let us know when the books out !

Ted's spot on that you can't tell that a flash has been used .. I thought it was just natural lighting only.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Steve

A really fab shot.. and Ken's right.. let us know when the books out !

Ted's spot on that you can't tell that a flash has been used .. I thought it was just natural lighting only.
Thanks Harj. I have found that the E-3 controls allow the on-board flash to be used very effectively as a fill in light source when the subjects are in shadows. The E-3 flash control can't be beat; I keep mine on 1/4 power as default flash.

On the Super Control Panel, under flash, I have the front control wheel control the flash power which can go from full, down to 1/4, 1/16, and 1/64 power; while the real control panel controls the flash exposure value from <+ or -> over the range of 0.3 to 3.0. I would think that you could easily utilize that feature as fill flash on some of your excellent street shooting when you have subjects in partial shadow.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Y'all need to remember this and put it on your calendars - the time that Ted was spot on!
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote