Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:10 PM   #1

Default A Guide Dog called Grace

Had the chance to go and visit Loughborough, my old University town very briefly a few days ago and more of that in another post.

I stumbled across a wonderful couple and their even more wonderful guide dog, called Grace.

Pics taken with the E3 + 35-100F2, RAW and PP in LR

1. Grace and family

2. Grace

3. A close up .. well as close as you can with the beastie. That lens is still stupidly sharp. Default LR sharpening.

I'm waiting for Mike or his partner to drop me a wee mail so I can send them the pics of their wonderful family member.

Wasn't able to fix what clearly is the high lights blowing out in lR..

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:50 PM   #2

Nice catch Harj. Very good candid series and that guide dog looks like a sweetheart!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:52 PM   #3

Very nice pictures and story Harj.

I love Golden Retrieves but unfortunately we can't have a pet in home because allergies issues of my family :-(
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:08 AM   #4

Hey Steve/ MArcelo

Marcelo, thats a pretty tough situation. I'm assuming that you've looked at some of the more friendly types of dogs -I only know of a few breeds of dogs such as the Coton's and Lasha's that are good. I've a close friend that can only have one of those types of dogs - anything else is dangerous to her and cats are a no no altogether.

Grace, was a wonderful dog..really nice and calm.. a bit like my Bully.

Harj
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM   #5

Truly 'nice' photos Harj. Serene an friendly.

Dogs, the right kind, are wonderful family. We picked up this 5 week old puppy once, Grew to be 155 lb. That's just over 10 stone in real weight!

He had the best disposition and biggest smile. Loved to play with kids, they would jump all over him and ride him and he loved it. I was wrestling on the beach with Mrs Scouse once and he run at me and put his shoulder into me, then stood over me wagging like that was fun but don't mess with mama.

Old Eric only lived 7 happy fun filled years.

This is a relative..

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:54 PM   #6

nice Harj, theyre great dogs

no wonder they dont use my kind of dog for that
they'd be dragged down the road in the onshore water skiing we do every day

Last edited by Rriley; Mar 6, 2014 at 10:57 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:58 PM   #7

Very good pictures Harj !!!

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:16 PM   #8

HEy Ken..

Eric... looks one big wonderful ball of fluff! I'm assuming that you didn't get another ?

From the size of him, I'd say he was an Alaskan Mamalute. I've got a big soft spot for huskies and their kind and am of the mind to pick up a rescue once Bully and G are no longer around.

Riley, thats one fine looking pup.. there was a dude around here that used to have 2 dobermans and he used to walk them together.. Always thought he was loon having two of them
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
HEy Ken..

Eric... looks one big wonderful ball of fluff! I'm assuming that you didn't get another ?

From the size of him, I'd say he was an Alaskan Mamalute. I've got a big soft spot for huskies and their kind and am of the mind to pick up a rescue once Bully and G are no longer around.

Riley, thats one fine looking pup.. there was a dude around here that used to have 2 dobermans and he used to walk them together.. Always thought he was loon having two of them
He was an Alaskan Malemute. I made a mistake when he died, I listened to people who said "you have to get another right away" That's how Cody came along, Cody bless his wooly socks just didn't have the same personality. He was almost a year old when we saved him from a life in a garage. The guy got him as a pup but worked long hours. He soon got used to our camping lifestyle and daily beach walks, just wasn't quite the same though. Big and wooly as he was.

Our life has changed now, we do a lot of overseas travel and it wouldn't be fair to leave a dog for long periods. They're family and wouldn't understand. We thought of a Golden, There is a kennel near here that trains guide dogs for the blind and others who need their help. The ones that don't make the cut are sold off to the right people. They even come out and interview you and see the type of place and space you have for them. Our couple of acres with deer and squirrels for company, would be great....!!!

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
He was an Alaskan Malemute. I made a mistake when he died, I listened to people who said "you have to get another right away" That's how Cody came along, Cody bless his wooly socks just didn't have the same personality. He was almost a year old when we saved him from a life in a garage. The guy got him as a pup but worked long hours. He soon got used to our camping lifestyle and daily beach walks, just wasn't quite the same though. Big and wooly as he was.
Boss had lived his previous 2 years on the end of a rope because they didnt have fencing. He is just to active too be around small children which they had 3.

In my house he lives inside as long as Im there. He had never seen chairs or furniture or a TV set, he was unused to the concept of windows and tried at first to walk through them.
Like children, he's fond of cartoons, or any sport with a ball, all of which he will watch intently so its an ideal baby sitter.

Kinda loose language but well, he is only 3.

Dogs like him can run 50km a day, they dont care how hot it is but they wont go in water. He can clear a 4'6" fence and is a scary fast runner.
Theyre devoted to just one thing, their pack; Im fortunate in that Im either in his, or he's in mine.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote