Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Very nice pictures of one of my favorites airplanes, amazing the condition of this plane, looks like new.

The C45 is another beauty.

Thank you for sharing.
Marcelo
Thank you Marcelo. I see that you know your aircraft as you recognized the C45 even though I didn't identify it in the photos. I really enjoy aircraft photography and have quite a collection of aircraft photos, from old craft to new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Beautiful aircraft nicely captured. I'm a fan of flying and with a student permit went so far as to do cross country solo. Then I started a family and something had to go. I decided I loved my little daughter too much so flying lessons dropped off the budget.
Thanks chiPersei. We all can appreciate how family definitely takes first place over other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
...really nice images Steven, well done there

The B-17 Aluminum Overcast is due back in Arlington in April. While I have photographed the plane twice and have covered every facet of her, in & out, I will try to get back for more of the same. It will be in Arlington only 1-day so will need to fit it in.

We've not seen "FIFI" here, that would be a wonderful thing, if it ever comes I will be ready.
Thanks Bob. I remember what great shots that you have of "Aluminum Overcast." By the way, while "FIFI" is touring around Florida thru early April, it is my understanding that she is based just outside of Dallas. The listed address is:
CAF B-29/B-24 Squadron
4730 George Haddaway
Addison, Texas 75001
Tel: (432) 413-4100
Addison Airport (KADS)​

And the website is: http://www.airpowersquadron.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Oohh... gotta love the B-29.... and all the others too...
Thank you Simon; glad you enjoyed the shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Great shots and great memories Steven. I remember these big girt buggers flying out of Manston air base in Kent. This was just after the war when I used to visit my aunt down on the coast of Kent.
I know they had more than one though...

Later they became B-50's and then Stratocruisers used by the likes of PanAm.
A Kiwi friend of mine worked on the Guppie project in Santa Barbara CA. And the pregnant guppy pictured here. Both based on Stratocruisers.
Thanks Ken. Ah yes, I remember the Straocruisers and the Pregnant Guppy.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:39 AM   #12

Adding one more photo, here is another shot of the beautifully restored 1929 Stearman Speedmail, and its' owner/pilot Sarah Wilson.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:02 PM   #13

I put a new belly skin on this plane once during a refit. Still have some strut material in my tool box from it. Western Airlines first planes.
They flew it from LA to NYC and back afterwards and then put it in the Seattle Museum of Flight at Boeing Field. Showed my grandson it on their last visit over, He was duly impressed....."Where do they have the Blackbird, grampa Ken?"

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:00 PM   #14

Hey Ken: Great shot and an interesting story. Hope you did get to show your grandson a Blackbird. After all, most kids now only know about "Angry Birds" and other games.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:45 AM   #15

Steve/Ken

some fab shots... makes me want to jump in a plane and go for a spin!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:18 PM   #16

A nice story told with great photos Steve. Seems to me that organization was once called Confederate Air Force, not sure though. The cockpit sure is a far cry from todays cockpits. Every now and then we get a few of these flying relics flying in. Last time was a B25 Mitchell and a B-17. Have seen FiFi once before and it is awesome. Was the long cigar tube tunnel to the rear gun still in place?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:07 PM   #17

Very nice pictures Steven, I really did enjoy watching them.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Steve/Ken

some fab shots... makes me want to jump in a plane and go for a spin!
Thanks very much Harj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Very nice pictures Steven, I really did enjoy watching them.
Thank you for looking and your comments Lordje.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
A nice story told with great photos Steve. Seems to me that organization was once called Confederate Air Force, not sure though. The cockpit sure is a far cry from todays cockpits. Every now and then we get a few of these flying relics flying in. Last time was a B25 Mitchell and a B-17. Have seen FiFi once before and it is awesome. Was the long cigar tube tunnel to the rear gun still in place?
Thanks James. Yes, that is the old Confederate Air Force group. And yes, the long tube tunnel is still there.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Seems to me that organization was once called Confederate Air Force, not sure though.
They changed their name in 2002, I believe. IIRC that was around the times when one of the States in the south was controversial for flying a Confederate flag on the state house. I guess the CAF decided they'd be better off with a different name - presumably donations started to fall off (although I don't know for sure).
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote