Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:36 PM   #11

LOL. Yes, the silly season is upon us.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:18 AM   #12

so it seems
i dont really think its all that funny though

sorry if i caused some angst or confusion
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:06 PM   #13

Hey, you gotta have a sense of humor Have you seen the "new" OM-G headlines over at DPReview? That's an all-timer. A little obvious, but good nontheless.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:46 PM   #14

"OM-G" Gotta love it.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:19 PM   #15

Selling Olympus material is terrific.
I'm trying to sell my E-3 with the 14-54 II, 50-200, 9-18, Sigma 30mm F1.4, EX-25, FL-50 and camera bag by lowepro for several weeks now.
I did set the bidding starting at € 1500,00, what gives many followers but no buyers.
I think since Olympus only jumped to Micro 4/3 and left all 4/3 users in the cold that there is no interests anymore in 4/3 material.
Sad after saving and investing, thank you Olympus!

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:58 PM   #16

I don't really agree with some people wanting to sell off their 4/3 equipment. My E-3 takes just as good photos today as it did when new, and the optics are still top notch.

I commend Olympus for developing the OM-D line, and the M5, M1, and M10. As you have heard me say in the past, my all time favorite 35mm camera is my OM-2, and, as I have previously said years before, I would like the old OM-2 body converted to a digital. And Oly has done that with their new cameras. The old 35mm OM heritage clearly shows in the look and size of the new cameras.

Olympus has always survived by being the innovator that pushes the envelope, not by by just making "me too" cameras. I believe that the future of cameras will be smaller, more advanced bodies with EVF viewfinders. Another big, old fashioned DSLR would not have been the answer for Olympus' future growth and survival.

And one can't deny all the excellent results from the super photographers who have been won over by the M5 and M1. Just look at Greg Chappell's shots here with the m4/3 cameras. And it says a lot when Dr. Wrotniak has now jumped on the OMD bandwagon.

Now, I'm not in a financial position to go out and buy new cameras just because they are "new", and I will continue to happily hold on and use my 4/3 bodies and lens. But I am pleased with the forward thinking of the M1 design, and also its ability to use 4/3 lens. At some point in the future, maybe I will buy an M-1 or M-10 while still keeping my E-3. In the meantime I'm glad that Oly has developed the OMD line.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:17 AM   #17

I've gone the "other" route Steven. I found a good deal on a Nikon D600....Yeh, I know. I was so impressed after using my buddies I thought I'd take a look at it and got hooked. So far I'm liking it. Prices came down after they put out the 610.

I looked at the way Oly was going and it wasn't the way I want to go. So ending a 45 year relationship with Oly.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:40 AM   #18

Good luck with your D600 Ken. Since you are used to the very old E-500 I'm sure that a much newer model camera will seem very, very, much improved.

You were aware that the price of the D600 dropped so much because of the serious problem with spots on the sensor, not because the D610 came out? The only reason for the D610 model was because of D600 sensor problems. Nikon had to rush the D610 in as a replacement. In fact, it was so bad that just very recently the Chinese government ordered Nikon to stop selling any D600 camera in China.
http://www.examiner.com/article/chin...your-d600-here

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ch..._133191148.htm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:40 PM   #19

Steven I will never say the E-3 is not good. For myself I wanted to switch to Full Frame.
Not directly Nikon for me but the Canon 5D mkIII.
What I am afraid of is loosing the contact with you all.
The choice for going to something else is not only buying something else.
Also I need to sell my Olympus material being able to buy that something else.
But Olympus made with their choice the fact that there is totally no interests anymore on the market for 4/3.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Good luck with your D600 Ken. Since you are used to the very old E-500 I'm sure that a much newer model camera will seem very, very, much improved.

You were aware that the price of the D600 dropped so much because of the serious problem with spots on the sensor, not because the D610 came out? The only reason for the D610 model was because of D600 sensor problems. Nikon had to rush the D610 in as a replacement. In fact, it was so bad that just very recently the Chinese government ordered Nikon to stop selling any D600 camera in China.
http://www.examiner.com/article/chin...your-d600-here

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ch..._133191148.htm
Yes I know all that, Nikon have / are doing a free shutter change and firmware to bring the 600 to 610 standards. Terry my shooting buddy sent his in last week.
I haven't seen any spots or had and shutter problems on mine as yet, It's pretty impressive really but I will send mine in. (it's free, to avoid future problems when I don't need them) in the next couple of weeks, before the summer anyway.

And you're correct. Virtually any new camera would have been an improvement but Oly are not going the way I want.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote