Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:45 PM   #21

As I started the thread .. my own reasoning is simple.. I'm still out of work and I can either use my kit to try and generate some revenue or I need to sell.

Its crazy that after taking 5 exams and 12months of studying, which would have cost me $25k in course fees alone that I'm still looking for a new role. I'm back on the books and just completed the Architect course, and that on its own is another $5k and I'm looking at the final exam in the next 4 weeks or so.

Camerawise, the E3 is still a fab camera and still better than me and the glass is second to none but I'm personally not sure about the OMD etc. The current cameras are simply not for me a this moment in time. This weekend I was at a Hockey tournement and was shocked to see how much smaller the Nikkor 70-200VR F2.8 MK1 the pro Event tog was using compared to my 35-100F2. Infact I thought it was the F4 until I got to check the setup. I've got some pics to post from the day so will be doing so when I can but suffice to say ... the Nikon setup was getting a 90% accuracy hit rate and the images were being sold within an hour or so of the games finishing. You simply can't do that with the Oly kit - IQ, sharpenss and colour from my E3 + SHG look easily as good as what the Pro was getting but I can't say that for reliable, fast accurate CAF. The Pro shooter's camera this time was a D300s.

Ken, well done on the new beastie.. the D600 is a pretty fine camera and as Nikon are still willing to pick up the tab and fix the oil stain issue then kudos to them, although I think they took way too long to just come out and say theres a problem with the new camera.

Long term .. i think I will be going dual system .. a small camera for street shooting M43/Fuji/Pentax and if its with M43, I'll be using my 14-54 at least with it or even just my E3+14-54. The other cam, that''ll be a FF Nikon or Canon with a 70-200F2.8 or something longer for shooting sports ..

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:36 AM   #22

I'll still be lurking here, I like the camaraderie and photo ideas, from Landscape to streets and birds. The Nikon pages are just a waste of time and argumentative. Had a couple of pleasant exchanges with Marcelo and Zig has dropped out of sight. Hope he's OK.

Lots to learn on these new cameras. My daughter gets excellent shots with her Canon super zoom point'n shoot.....Just sayin.

Last edited by Scouse; Apr 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:15 PM   #23

I can agree in what Ken said, same for me, Olympus way is not my way.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:58 PM   #24

In my case, the E-30 is kind of gathering dust on its tripod as I am using the EM-1 about 90% of the time (often with the 12-60 and the 50-200). The EM-5 is still used since I can take a ton of shots with the batttery grip.

I almost went dual system before buying the EM-1 as I was looking at the Nikon 7100 kit or even the D600, However, I have too many good Olympus lenses to invest to another sytem... At least for a while.

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I don't really agree with some people wanting to sell off their 4/3 equipment. My E-3 takes just as good photos today as it did when new, and the optics are still top notch.

I commend Olympus for developing the OM-D line, and the M5, M1, and M10. As you have heard me say in the past, my all time favorite 35mm camera is my OM-2, and, as I have previously said years before, I would like the old OM-2 body converted to a digital. And Oly has done that with their new cameras. The old 35mm OM heritage clearly shows in the look and size of the new cameras.

Olympus has always survived by being the innovator that pushes the envelope, not by by just making "me too" cameras. I believe that the future of cameras will be smaller, more advanced bodies with EVF viewfinders. Another big, old fashioned DSLR would not have been the answer for Olympus' future growth and survival.

And one can't deny all the excellent results from the super photographers who have been won over by the M5 and M1. Just look at Greg Chappell's shots here with the m4/3 cameras. And it says a lot when Dr. Wrotniak has now jumped on the OMD bandwagon.

Now, I'm not in a financial position to go out and buy new cameras just because they are "new", and I will continue to happily hold on and use my 4/3 bodies and lens. But I am pleased with the forward thinking of the M1 design, and also its ability to use 4/3 lens. At some point in the future, maybe I will buy an M-1 or M-10 while still keeping my E-3. In the meantime I'm glad that Oly has developed the OMD line.
I'm with you Steven, I love my E-3 and the 14-54 lens and also the 35mm 1:1 macro. I'm happy with the results, so buying a M43 does not make any financial sense to me. And what I could get for my E-3 wouldn't put much of a dent in the cost of the M1. Now if I were into fast sports photography and needed a good CAF camera, that may be a different story. Your bird shots always remind me of the IQ that the E-3 and 50-200mm lens can achieve.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

Camerawise, the E3 is still a fab camera and still better than me and the glass is second to none but I'm personally not sure about the OMD etc. The current cameras are simply not for me a this moment in time. This weekend I was at a Hockey tournement and was shocked to see how much smaller the Nikkor 70-200VR F2.8 MK1 the pro Event tog was using compared to my 35-100F2. Infact I thought it was the F4 until I got to check the setup. I've got some pics to post from the day so will be doing so when I can but suffice to say ... the Nikon setup was getting a 90% accuracy hit rate and the images were being sold within an hour or so of the games finishing. You simply can't do that with the Oly kit - IQ, sharpenss and colour from my E3 + SHG look easily as good as what the Pro was getting but I can't say that for reliable, fast accurate CAF.
From what I am seeing out of the EM-1 by the likes of TG I would say an EM-1 w/the lumix 35-100 f2.8 can do the same job as the D300 plus 70-200VR f2.8. You've got useable C-AF, fast burst rate and the WiFi to transfer to a computer in real time, touch up and put up for sale after the show.

Take a peak at what TG has posted on the m43 forums using the EM-1 to capture freestyle motorcycles in the air and airplanes in flight and you'll have no doubt that the EM-1 can fill the need.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...torcycles.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...-air-show.html

As for the lens resale price... some of it has to do with the PRO lenses now available and coming soon, those who've made the switch to an E-M1 are now buying 12-40mm f2.8 lenses and selling off the 12-60mm, saw one go for $315 USD over the weekend. I'm tempted to swap out my 14-54 mm MKII which I paid $350 for last summer, but I know I'll probably lose $100 on the 14-54 which is silly considering I can keep it and focus it on my PEN.

Anyways I'm fully embracing the 4/3s bargains and have been hunting for a 9-18 to fill my bag out with the 14-54 and 70-300. For me those three lenses easily provide all I need at a bargain price.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:16 AM   #27

The 9-18mm Oly glass is still selling for a respectable price of between 364.00 and 379.00 for EX+ at KEH Camera. New copies are running 599.00 at B&H Photo.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
The 9-18mm Oly glass is still selling for a respectable price of between 364.00 and 379.00 for EX+ at KEH Camera. New copies are running 599.00 at B&H Photo.
I just got a four thirds 9-18mm on ebay in seller described* mint condition with original box, paperwork, lens caps, hood, pouch and a Hoya UV filter for $322 plus $10 shipping

*I always prefer sellers on ebay who are selling the lens with a Hoya UV filter that has been on the lens since they bought it. To me that is the sign of someone who cares for their gear.

I'm excited to get the lens and give it a whirl, I've wanted something wider than 14 for a while and now I have a 9-300mm (18-600mm equivalent) set of lenses to handle any situation.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:45 PM   #29

.......oh!!!!! You will love the FT 9-18, I guarantee it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:06 PM   #30

RAm.. well done thats a cracking price..!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote