Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:14 PM   #1

Default Englands National U16 Hockey Finals 2014 - Yorkshire

Last weekend was the National U16 Hockey Finals for 2014 pitting the best 16 boys and girls field hockey teams in the country against each other for two days. The championship was held at the Wakefield Hockey Club Ground, in Wakefield Yorkshire.

I took the E3+ 35-100F2 and 14-54 + BG to just take a few snaps..well not a few approx 1400 for the two days. I'm still working through the pics and have so far wiped out 60% as being useless, and working my way through the rest with the hope I get the right selection of pics without.

Here's the gallery:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photograph...16-Finals2014/

A few snaps:

The main difference this time was I switched the AF to all coss points and use the large focus point area - its way too hard even with the diamond to attempt to get an infocus shot esp when switching to portrait mode. Its still pretty damn hard work with the CAF and OOF shots are plenty. All pics PP using LR.

Setup - ISO 400, F2.8 or faster; 1/2000 or faster shutter speed (at times when the sun eventually came out .. 1/5000 or faster was needed); RAW + small jpeg; CAF; All cross points; Large focus point area.

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 5, 2014 at 7:21 AM. Reason: original link to gallery was broken and could not be accessed. Gallery recreated using old version of smugmug
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:28 PM   #2

A great set of action shots Hartj.
It must be difficult to make those, that I'm sure off.
More then well done !

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:54 PM   #3

One that got me was some of those boys did not look anything like 16 year olds or younger... not that I'm accussing some teams of possibly fiddling .

Psacal.. its definitely easier than a year or two ago and using all of the AF points and shooting wide open definitely helps. I don't like not knowing what focus point the cam is going to choose and its not indicated in the VF unlike in the other modes, that does bug me. So its just point and aim at the main person in the frame and pray that the AF actually wants to focus on them and not someone else in the background. CAF on someone running fast and head on is seriously not easy to do with our now old kit and the no of pics that should be in focus but are not is just way too many.

Shooting burst mode @ 5fps definitely helps and i was surprised that this time I was able to get some shots of the players running full pelt and head on. Its still pray and spray and still way to many OOF images but it was an improvement. It doesn't compare to what the Nikon/Canon cam's can do - or get anywhere close to the CAF performance that even the D300s can get to but it will do.

The London marathon is a few weeks from now.. so if I still have the beastie I will be going and seeing if I can improve on last year. I had been planning on hiring a Canikon setup for the day just to get a feel of what something like a 5DMk3 could do but thats not going to happen. The E3 + SHG will have to do.

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:26 PM   #4

Excellent job Harj! Color, composition, and the sense of action are all top notch and make for very interesting photographs! Well done.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:15 AM   #5

Sorry for the links guys - somehow with the new look smugmug, things that used to work with the old look are now broken. So basically any new gallery you create in the new look fails to appear in the old view - you'd think someone at smugmug would have checked that and all links to the gallery are broken. I'm assuming that it will work should I change my sites look to one of the new or custom themes that they have - so far I can't get my head around how they heck I can recreate my existing theme with the new setup. Why do companies change things for no real benefit !

I'm not sure how to get the pics accessible via the link but I'm going to try and work this out or a work around and log a support call with smugmug about the new gallery issue.

Found a work around:

Create a new gallery in the old smugmug look and then move all the pics. They then appear in both old and new views.

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM. Reason: Gallery link now fixed and accessible
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:28 PM   #6

I find action sports photography to be the most difficult. Nice Job.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:51 PM   #7

Its definitely hard work ..way to hard for my liking and I don't envy the pro/semi pro shooters and fully understand why they choose Canikon kit for these kind of events .... and then have to immediately produce the goods for print or online media. Not something I would want to do.